• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just used a sawyer mini for the first time, a couple months ago on a backpacking trip down south. It seemed to filter great, but it didn't remove the "pond water" taste from the lake water that I'd filtered.

Next trip I took a little bottle of Mio Water to mix in for taste.

If funky taste is an issue, a filter with a carbon adsorption element will really help. It will remove residual chlorine very easily and most volatile organics as long as the residence time is adequate. If you're drinking water that might have organic compounds that you don't want to ingest, you need carbon, reverse osmosis, or distillation. The mechanical filtration of the sawyers works great on micro organisms, but won't do anything about stuff that is dissolved in the water.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Preps for this week

1. Dental visit

2. Solidified my training budget for 2018 heavy on pistol training and I promised myself to get in a shotgun course this year.

3. Ammo inventory and rotation

4. Checked food and ammo at alternate site

5. Prepped generators and chainsaws then fill winter gas cans (Saturday work)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you using plastic? I've read that gas can be stored for a long time in Jerry Cans (with a good seal). What say you?

I use the plastic containers you see the sprint car and drag race crews use. They seal up very well if you pay attention for long term storage. Keep them in a good conditioned space with zero problems. Staybil and slick up the cap seal and good to go. We have many of them. We also have 2 lined 55 Gallon drums for storage.

I have not owned any jerry cans for years.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I use the plastic containers you see the sprint car and drag race crews use. They seal up very well if you pay attention for long term storage. Keep them in a good conditioned space with zero problems. Staybil and slick up the cap seal and good to go. We have many of them. We also have 2 lined 55 Gallon drums for storage.

I have not owned any jerry cans for years.

Details?

I currently have only 3 cheap 5-gal containers that I use to maximize my discount at Kroger. I intend to store a small surplus for emergencies, so if those containers are better for longer term storage . . .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Details?

I currently have only 3 cheap 5-gal containers that I use to maximize my discount at Kroger. I intend to store a small surplus for emergencies, so if those containers are better for longer term storage . . .

Heavy plastic. Large screw on lids. Good seals. I put a bit of mo;y engine assembly lube on the gasket so it allows for a tighter seal.
    Jegs/summit racing sells them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought the red sealed metal safety cans and a couple of cheap jerry cans to go with them. Hauling in an SUV or hatchback car makes a positive seal pretty important. Had way too many plastics leak over the years. Gas leaked in carpet is the gift that keeps on giving. :xmad:

SOE has supposedly legit military jerry cans, but I cannot seem to line up available funds when they have them in stock. 4/$250. Yeager and Willis have made videos about how they use them and have me convinced.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/jerry-can-nato-jerry-can

My cheap Amazon "jerry" cans look similar but have a stupid air vent built into the spout that makes them sloppy to fill, nozzle won't readily fit into the spout. Seams splitting supposedly are an issue with the cheapies also. Chinese welds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This topic is showing page 516 for me, but when I try to go there, I go back to page 515. It's also showing as unread over and over, but probably won't after I post this.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought the red sealed metal safety cans and a couple of cheap jerry cans to go with them. Hauling in an SUV or hatchback car makes a positive seal pretty important. Had way too many plastics leak over the years. Gas leaked in carpet is the gift that keeps on giving. :xmad:

SOE has supposedly legit military jerry cans, but I cannot seem to line up available funds when they have them in stock. 4/$250. Yeager and Willis have made videos about how they use them and have me convinced.

https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/jerry-can-nato-jerry-can

My cheap Amazon "jerry" cans look similar but have a stupid air vent built into the spout that makes them sloppy to fill, nozzle won't readily fit into the spout. Seams splitting supposedly are an issue with the cheapies also. Chinese welds.

Regarding Jerry cans I bought many of them from lexingtoncontainercompany.com years ago for around $50 each. At the time it was a very hard pill to swallow especially since you can get the typical little red storage cans for $15 give or take at any hardware store. What finally convinced me to spend the money was that all the crappy nozzles on my red $15 gas cans kept breaking or would spill more gas that they were supposed to prevent. In today's world, you can't buy a gas can without the nozzle so the cost is really high now at $80 per can. It's not cheap, but I'm very happy with the cans I've got and I'm glad I bought them when I did. Worth every penny to me.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If funky taste is an issue, a filter with a carbon adsorption element will really help. It will remove residual chlorine very easily and most volatile organics as long as the residence time is adequate. If you're drinking water that might have organic compounds that you don't want to ingest, you need carbon, reverse osmosis, or distillation. The mechanical filtration of the sawyers works great on micro organisms, but won't do anything about stuff that is dissolved in the water.

It's funny, you don't think about the differences in taste with surface water, since most of us don't go around drinking it. But, since I've started backpacking, and using the Sawyer, I've found that surface water does taste different depending on the source, and time of year. The day that I drank lake water it was 94 degrees and I'd hiked ten miles. I didn't like the "pond water" taste, but I knew it was safe out of the Sawyer, and I really needed the water, so I couldn't be choosy. But if you're anywhere close to heat exhaustion, and feeling a little bit nauseous from it, there's nothing like a big drink of skanky-tasting water.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's funny, you don't think about the differences in taste with surface water, since most of us don't go around drinking it. But, since I've started backpacking, and using the Sawyer, I've found that surface water does taste different depending on the source, and time of year. The day that I drank lake water it was 94 degrees and I'd hiked ten miles. I didn't like the "pond water" taste, but I knew it was safe out of the Sawyer, and I really needed the water, so I couldn't be choosy. But if you're anywhere close to heat exhaustion, and feeling a little bit nauseous from it, there's nothing like a big drink of skanky-tasting water.

Nice.

I thought the Sawyer was removing bad taste from my tap water initially. After some time, I could still tell the taste difference as it changed throughout the year.

The Berkey arrived yesterday. The water through it seems to have no taste.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Finally got a small ATV for the property. It's only a 125cc so its not going to be hauling a bunch of stuff but for my current needs it will do the jump and its small enough that I feel safe my kid riding on it by himself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Had an impromptu fire making practice tonight. I got some good time using my BHK Smokey Mountain Razor to scrape bark and small shavings, make some feather sticks (poorly) and create a lot of thin shavings. Unfortunately the temperature and dampness of my pile of dust and shavings made it difficult for the sparks from my ferro rod to ignite. So, I failed. On the upside, failure is a good teacher and it illustrated that in a more serious situation, going to the sure things (vaseline/cotton balls and a Bic lighter) should be the used on the first attempt.

The knife performed well and a few passes on a very worn diamond rod when I got home had it hair-popping sharp again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom