Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorted out the genny's and fuel. Checked out the cords. I need to build a heavier one for the new genny. Never ends.

I am going to post up one of the smaller ones as we do not get out anymore so it will not see much if any use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Finally added Sta-Bil to the gas I have stored in my old truck. Drove it for a while to circulate the Sta-Bil and the old beast starts and runs without issue.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post, I'm making a concentrated effort to finally get my commas setup right. This isn't a praise, it's a shame on me for not having gotten this squared away years ago. Years of getting by with Baofengs has spoiled me and fooled me into thinking they're "good enough". I suppose I've used them enough now to see their failure points. Still an outstanding purchase for less than the $40 they cost at times, but I needed a better handset and a better base camp radio.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The past 7 days:

A few less workouts-tapered off and deloaded to heal an injuryand reset

2 trips to the range. On of those was fun- I started with a 2 mile , 80 pound ruck, then ditched the pack in my Jeep and walked right up to the firing line and started shooting. 1st shot hit on steel with my AK at 200 yards. Did some more rifle work and ran my G19.

One light, drill based fight night.

Socked away some water

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I looked at my First Aid kits and found them woefully inadequate. Nothing more than a boo-boo kit anywhere. I decided this needed to be remedied.

I bought a couple cheap tool boxes off of Amazon for $6.?? ea. Then I hit eBay for some medical utensils and first aid/trauma supplies. These boxes will cover boo-boos to gunshot wounds, headaches and stomach aches, even a minor surgery if necessary. I am still missing a couple things, locals and syringes come to mind.(I'm not even sure about legality of locals.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have restocked all the water that was consumed over the summer. It was tough to keep up with all the people that are here over the summer. It is a good indicator of what the demands will be if we ever have to hunker down and survive.
    We are also looking at expanding storage.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been filtering tap water through a hillbilly engineered Sawyer Mini "system" for 3-4 years. Finally broke down and ordered a Berkey.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Bought a new (to me) metal shelving unit. Taking it to the new place to start adding to preps there.

Already have water there, although not much. Also have a little food and a couple extra weapons I had laying around.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The Berkey filter is basically a large carbon filter. Each one is a cylinder roughly 3"d x 12"h. Larger Berkeys use more filters to increase throughput. They do have an add-on filter for flouride removal. Not sure what that is made of.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you on a well or city water?

Does a Berkey have a carbon stage?

I think they are just big carbon filters. Berkey has a good reputation, that's all I really know. The Sawyer Mini filters fine, I'm just tired of backflushing it. Ready for a more efficient larger scale filter system.

I'm on county water, it comes from Lake Monroe. This time of year and through the winter, there is a lot of sediment that clogs the little filter. It has to be backflushed daily. Whereas, in the summer, I go for weeks without backflushing. There are also smells and tastes to the water at various times through the year.

We had great water here for years, until they started talking about costly upgrades to the water system. Since then the bills have nearly doubled and the water has gotten dirty. Funny how that works, eh?

Regardless, I like the idea of a more robust filter system that I could run lake, pond or ditch water through if needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think they are just big carbon filters. Berkey has a good reputation, that's all I really know. The Sawyer Mini filters fine, I'm just tired of backflushing it. Ready for a more efficient larger scale filter system.

I'm on county water, it comes from Lake Monroe. This time of year and through the winter, there is a lot of sediment that clogs the little filter. It has to be backflushed daily. Whereas, in the summer, I go for weeks without backflushing. There are also smells and tastes to the water at various times through the year.

We had great water here for years, until they started talking about costly upgrades to the water system. Since then the bills have nearly doubled and the water has gotten dirty. Funny how that works, eh?

Regardless, I like the idea of a more robust filter system that I could run lake, pond or ditch water through if needed.

That's a good move on your part. I don't know about Lake Monroe water, but sometimes the water from Eagle Creek on the west side of Indy isn't fit for consumption (in terms of taste). They have to add so much chlorine that you can taste it in iced tea and fountain drinks from places that don't filter their water first. UGH. The city water where I live is pretty good.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Don't forget a colander and paper coffee filters for rough initial filtration.
    If you need to pre-filter to avoid crudding up the Berkey then you got them.
    If you never use them then no loss.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's a good move on your part. I don't know about Lake Monroe water, but sometimes the water from Eagle Creek on the west side of Indy isn't fit for consumption (in terms of taste). They have to add so much chlorine that you can taste it in iced tea and fountain drinks from places that don't filter their water first. UGH. The city water where I live is pretty good.

5-6 years ago, (ironically when they first started warning of water bill increases due to necessary water plant upgrades,) I didn't readily notice the water problems starting. It was the neighbors talking about the bad tasting water and coffee. Now I can tell you what time of the year it is by what comes out of the tap.

Don't forget a colander and paper coffee filters for rough initial filtration.
    If you need to pre-filter to avoid crudding up the Berkey then you got them.
    If you never use them then no loss.

Very good idea. I do have a few different kinds of filter systems around for coffee filter type small scale filtering. On top of that, some makeshift indoor and outdoor larger scale rough filtration materials.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I just used a sawyer mini for the first time, a couple months ago on a backpacking trip down south. It seemed to filter great, but it didn't remove the "pond water" taste from the lake water that I'd filtered.

Next trip I took a little bottle of Mio Water to mix in for taste.

Also: for preps, I finally got around to picking up another new steel 55-gallon drum for long term kerosene storage. Bumps me up near 150 gallons total for kerosene (once I fill it up). I have a woodstove and lots of wood, but I like the idea of being able to heat my place in a more stealthy way, if I decide that's best.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom