What has the drought we are having taught you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Farmer X let his cattle eat the drought damaged corn plants. He should have known better. All the cattle that ate the corn are now dead. The plants have too much nitrogen in them and it is toxic to the cows.

I think he lost 26 head.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    The upside to the drought...as water levels continue to recede it will make it easier to seek out the bounty from the various "boating accidents"...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Farmer X let his cattle eat the drought damaged corn plants. He should have known better. All the cattle that ate the corn are now dead. The plants have too much nitrogen in them and it is toxic to the cows.

I think he lost 26 head.

Yeah, what an idiot. We planted late due to equipment problems, some our corn isn't doing too bad, luckily, but a couple fields aren't worth the seed it was planted with. Alot of guys down here are simply disc-ing the corn under or mowing it off. For you guys that have been monitoring food prices, I'd expect to see a 15-20% jump as most of the corn belt has taken a beating.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Rain barrels do not hold water as long as one would think. I have 6 55 gallon barrels, 1 100 tank and 1 200 gallon tank. They are set up to collect rain water from the barn roof and they have been dry for weeks. I use them to water my 7000sqft garden. Luckily we had a new well put in this spring and are using the old one to water the garden. I do worry that I will pump the old shallow well dry before the summer is over.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is just a drought. What if this was part of the real deal. We are city folks and no well available. If the system was shut down for any length of time........Hhhhmmmmmm

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, what an idiot. We planted late due to equipment problems, some our corn isn't doing too bad, luckily, but a couple fields aren't worth the seed it was planted with. Alot of guys down here are simply disc-ing the corn under or mowing it off. For you guys that have been monitoring food prices, I'd expect to see a 15-20% jump as most of the corn belt has taken a beating.
    Not just Food prices, but the prices of everything. Corn is used in a LOT of Products...

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    What I've learned so far is don't pour melted ice from your ice chest down the drain, use it on your garden or grass. Also pee outside when ever possible, but not in the same place, it will kill what ever you are peeing on. :)

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    What worries me is that my willow tree is starting to drop leaves and willows are deep rooted and seek water from quite a ways. We are on a well which we have not had any issues with yet. Wells are about 100 ft deep so we hope the table is still strong down there!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I've learned to watch the indicators for severity of drought. First the lawn grass died, then the clover and less hardy weeds, then the general wild grass, then bushes and scrub, and finally even my poor trees are starting to droop.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    Aside from the weatherman always being wrong? We just stocked up on more water, basically gave up on a green lawn and the garden. Water bill was gettin kinda high.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Aside from the weatherman always being wrong? We just stocked up on more water, basically gave up on a green lawn and the garden. Water bill was gettin kinda high.

Really? The fellow on FOX59 has basically been saying "You might get some rain, but don't prepare for it and it isn't going to be enough to matter anyway so you're still in a drought." I think he's just getting sick of seeing nothing but..well, nothing on the radar :D

Top Bottom