What has the drought we are having taught you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I have learned that

It was not a good year for a beginner to try to learn how to have a raised garden. :(

That I am extremely glad that we had a new well put in last fall or we'd be in BIG trouble.

That my central air unit is not nearly big enough for my house ( already sort of knew that but now I really know).

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    That we need a few more barrels for adequate rain water system and that forgetting to water the garden even just once can have dire consequences.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I have learned that I need to stop talking about getting rain barrels and just do it. I am glad I bought soaker hoses this year for the garden and that even with them a good 2 hour soaking in the evening will not last more than a day...if that in 100+ temps. I have learned that TruGreen will come out and treat your lawn even after you tell them not to.

After watching Waterborne last night on Netflix it has re-interated the fact that I need more water storage and brought home just how screwed we would be without water in a very, very short time.

If I can get a house built a metal roof and lots of water barrels will be in my future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have learned that People are freaking Stupider than I had suspected as a whole...

You are too generous.

We have been on a preps only routine since Sunday. Some stores needed to be rotated so we are living on them. It is great practice. Issue is, I do not care how much water you stock pile, it goes away fast unless you are on a strict ration routine. We do not have a huge tank for potable water, space does not permit it. The rain barrels are long dry. We have flats of water stored everywhere and use it for drinking only. We have put in untold gallon jugs of "Filtered" water that is sold in the stores by the gallon milk jug. This is good for cooking and grey water use. The only thing we have let be on regular is a daily shower (Have to work) and the toilet. If we were to use the toilet with out a steady water source there would have to be another way to charge the tank. With out controls on consumption the water goes fast, really fast. This would be most critical in a true SHTF or serious drought.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've learned that pill bugs/rollie pollies like to come in my house when it's dry. The less you flush the easier a toilet gets dirty. Eventhough it hasn't been enforced I've been trying to use less water. I'm interested to see next months water bill.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    "just down the road" secret prepper neighbor is digging a trench to hook up to the rural water supply line.

He told me his well went dry on tues of last week. $900 for the meter, and about 1,500 for the digging the trench and pipe to get it to his house. He is doing most of the work.

My well is at least 60 feet deeper than his.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    my boat is on my backyard boat dock boat lift here in heritage lake. Because of the drought and the resulting low water, I would have been better off in keeping my boat simply tied to the dock and not on my boat lift. The water is quite low that I can't even get it off the lift

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    "just down the road" secret prepper neighbor is digging a trench to hook up to the rural water supply line.

He told me his well went dry on tues of last week. $900 for the meter, and about 1,500 for the digging the trench and pipe to get it to his house. He is doing most of the work.

My well is at least 60 feet deeper than his.

One issue with a well is that you don't necessarily know who else is sharing that aquifer with you or how his usage is going to affect your well, especially during drought conditions such as we're experiencing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One issue with a well is that you don't necessarily know who else is sharing that aquifer with you or how his usage is going to affect your well, especially during drought conditions such as we're experiencing.
    I got a pretty good idea that I am one of the few on my aquifer...
    Maybe... :dunno:

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I've learned that you can rent private docks on Morse pretty cheap this year. My neighbors yard is so green I think he will need a sponsor to help him through the ban period...

Top Bottom