• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    my american in -06 is better than i am. plus, it weighs nothing, costs nothing.

my 10/22 is the most fun rifle i own.

my fathers 10/22 is older than i am, still works perfectly.

i also spent about $40 on a few volquartsen trigger parts. my god, is that thing beautiful now.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just want a good every day rifle that I can either take through the woods or put a fair amount of rounds through during a range trip. I'm not looking for match accuracy, but I do need to be in the neighborhood of where I'm aiming.

Ruger will do this for you. No doubts.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    You cant go wrong with a Ruger, they are a quality firearm. I currently own a Mini 14 Target, 10/22, Super Blackhawk Hunter 44 mag and a Mark III Hunter all fine shooters

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have two Rugers, a 7-1/2" barreled Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and it's an excellent gun, so strong (as someone else mentioned in this thread) that it has load data for it and the T/C Contender that greatly increases the performance of this old cartridge, originally created in 1873.
    Here's mine, with an inexpensive Leapers red dot sight:

Ruger_Blackhawk_45_Colt.jpg

Now, as for a rifle, I have an M77 .30-06, circa 1989, with the tang safety.
    It's been said that the M77 from this time period had the barrels outsourced from suppliers, with accuracy variable according to which company made each rifle's barrel.
    Mine must have been made by one of the better sources, because two of my handloads (Federal case, CCI large rifle primers, IMR 4831), one topped by the Sierra 180 grain Pro-Hunter spitzer, and the other topped by the 165 grain Barnes X (the original version, not the XLC, MRC, Triple-Shok, etc) bullet both capable of landing five shots inside just under 1" @ 100 yards.
    That would be very pleasing from any off the shelf .308 rifle, but it's very impressive coming from a .30-06 hunting rifle.
    I gather that the current run of the M77 (Hawkeye) has the barrels produced in house, and the accuracy of the average one will probably be more consistent.
    Were it me, I would save the extra coin and opt for the M77 over the American.
    Much better looking (one of the nicest factory stocks of them all), an excellent large claw extractor on the bolt, and great quality for the buck.
    I particularly like the integral scope ring bases, which give you a more solid lockup and the lowest scope mounting possible.
    Here's mine, with a Leupold Vari-X 2.5-8x36mm scope:

Ruger_M77_30-06.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I had a stainless model Hawkeye in 223. It was an MOA shooter with mid range brass ammo, probably 1.5 MOA with Wolf steel case ammo (which it didnt like to eject). With domestic ammo it cycled reliably, fired with acceptable accuracy, and handled prety well.

I don't really know why I don't have it any longer ... This was back when I was a teenager, and I used wheel & deal / sell / trade guns away for no particular reason other than something new a shiny caught my eye. I lost a LOT of good guns that way.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Ruger makes very nice rifles. I had a model 77/17HMR for a few years in the American Walnut stock. It looked great and shot great! I could consistently shoot 5 shot Nickel to Quarter size groups at 100 yards. The rotary magazines functioned flawlessly. My only complaint was that the bolt throw was very high and always rubbed against my optics. I eventually sold it to fund another firearm.

I have noticed that over the past 5 years or so, the MSRP on the model 77/17 has gone up rather high; something like $800. If I were looking into buying another bolt action rimfire that looked just as pretty and shot just as accurate, I would be looking at a CZ 455 American for under $500.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I went and did it. I dove in and ordered a Ruger Hawkeye laminate .308 rifle with a 16" barrel. Why? I don't mind trying something different. I've never owned a laminate rifle before, or one with a barrel that short. The only drawback is the rings that come with the rifle are 1" and the scope I want to mount has a 30mm tube. The good news for me is that is seems like Ruger has some type of exchange program where you can get the size rings you need. I've reached out to them to get more details. The only bad part about that is the wait time. It should be interesting once I get set up. This is the most excited I've been about a gun in a long time. Thanks for the input guys. I never knew there was so much Ruger love on INGO.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a 10/22 take down. GREAt little gun with just two things I changed. First was I put the Williams Fire Sites on it. The 2nd was the Volquartsen bolt release fix. Best 10 bucks ever spent.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I need to be taken to school regarding Ruger rifles. I'm interested in their Hawkeye models versus their budget American line. I've read online where Ruger rifles aren't the most accurate made, but I want to hear what INGO has to say.

Not trying to sound bossy to the other posters trying to be helpful here, but the part I put in bold from the OP makes it clear that the he is talking about Ruger's centerfire bolt guns, not their rimfire line.
    There is no such thing as a Hawkeye model of any of their rimfires, unless you count the 77/22, but they don't apply that name to that beautiful little rifle.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I had a target Ruger 26" barrel in 308 and I couldn't get it to shoot any better than my hunting rifles. I took it to a gun smith and he told me that I needed a Remington. He said what he could do with it would be costly and a crap shoot.

I sold it and then found out that you had to play with the torque between the angled screws to get it to shoot better. I wished I had the information before I sold it. I really liked the rifle. I should have been able to shoot bug holes.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I ended up buying a Ruger laminate compact rifle. I haven't shot it yet because I am exchanging the 1" scope rings that came with it for ones that are 30mm. While I wouldn't want all my rifles in this compact configuration, I really like this particular set up. What I am not crazy about is Ruger's trigger. Out of all my rifles, it's probably the worst of the group for weight and creep. I may have a gunsmith take a look at this thing and see if some magic can't be worked. I'm smitten with this rifle, but I want to fall in love with it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    M77 triggers can be made OK but not more than that. They are reliable and able to fend about anything thrown at them, but they don't go light and will always be creepy. The RAR version is a better option in all regards.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    M77 triggers can be made OK but not more than that. They are reliable and able to fend about anything thrown at them, but they don't go light and will always be creepy. The RAR version is a better option in all regards.

FWIW, Timney offers a dropin replacement for anyone who wants a much improved trigger for the M77.
    Dunno how good it is, as mine is the old tang safety version, which is said to have a pretty decent trigger as is, and I agree; although I'm sure there are plenty of others that are a bit better out of the box.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    FWIW, Timney offers a dropin replacement for anyone who wants a much improved trigger for the M77.
    Dunno how good it is, as mine is the old tang safety version, which is said to have a pretty decent trigger as is, and I agree; although I'm sure there are plenty of others that are a bit better out of the box.

I might give this drop-in trigger a try and see how much it helps. Without field-testing it yet, Ruger does seem to make an attractive and rock-solid rifle. Why can't they see what other manufacturers do and install similar triggers? I have a Tikka rifle with the trigger weight adjusted down to about 2 lbs. that is excellent, and my Winchester model 70's trigger is even better. I would consider it to be the perfect trigger for a hunting rifle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom