What are your favorite .223/5.56 loads? What is your cost down to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    How do these loads group? Do they have the same, or roughly the same POA/POI?

I went up to 25 of TAC developing my load, but went with the 24.5 because the POI was closest to the XM193 factory fodder I have lots of.

I'm planning on ordering some 62s soon.

I did some load development on the 62's and found 25.5 to be the best in my DPMS AP4. The best group I've gotten with them was about 2 inches. This was with an unmagnified EoTech at 50 yards. I'm sure the loads could do better if there was a better shooter behind the rifle, I'm not all that good. As far as POA/POI I would say that they are pretty much dead on, especially the 55 gr loads and the 62's might shoot a little left of POI (talking about an inch or less). I am intrigued by your 24.5 gr load. I'll admit that I just started with a 25gr load with my 55gr fmj's and was happy with the groups (about the same as the 62gr's) so I just stuck with it. I'm currently out of 55gr bullets but when I get more I will definitely try your load.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I did some load development on the 62's and found 25.5 to be the best in my DPMS AP4. The best group I've gotten with them was about 2 inches. This was with an unmagnified EoTech at 50 yards. I'm sure the loads could do better if there was a better shooter behind the rifle, I'm not all that good. As far as POA/POI I would say that they are pretty much dead on, especially the 55 gr loads and the 62's might shoot a little left of POI (talking about an inch or less). I am intrigued by your 24.5 gr load. I'll admit that I just started with a 25gr load with my 55gr fmj's and was happy with the groups (about the same as the 62gr's) so I just stuck with it. I'm currently out of 55gr bullets but when I get more I will definitely try your load.

It wasn't much of a difference between 24.5 and 25. Just closer. All the loadings had good accuracy, this one just was closest to my control group, and it will stretch my powder farther.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I got this load info from the American Rifleman magazine back a few years ago. 22.5 gr. of H335 with a 55gr. FMJ bullet. (H335 also shoots amazingly well in my Marlin .30-30) It sounds light, but it works well in my M4 carbine. I also load & shoot the same generic 55 gr. FMJ bullet with 23.5 gr. of AA2230 with good results. Gee, I don't have any cost figures, but I sure miss the days when I could buy these bullets in bulk for 4c ea.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom