What are you watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In progress. Moments of greatness but really could have been edited more. Pacino as Hoffa is still Pacino.

Ah, "The Irishman".

Yeah, there's a superb 2 1/2 hour movie hidden inside that very good 3 1/2 hours.

It was the best made-for-a-streaming-service movie I have seen.

Some things are distracting (no real spoliers)- for instance, the digital manipulation to make Deniro (and Pesci to a lesser extent)look younger and older is impressive, but changing the face on a 70 something year old man leaves a younger face on a body that moves like a 70 something year old. Watch the scene at the grocery store. Also, the scene in the steam room- Deniro's head on someone else's body and it was obvious.

Final thoughts, I guarantee you that Netflix told Scorsese that he had 100% control of the final cut....and this is what happens when you tell that to a director who loves every scene he filmed. Also, stunt casting- Harvey Keitel had how many lines? 2? 3? And I I love Steven Van Zandt, but he can't lip synch. And yes, everyone loved the folllowing (steadycam) shot in "Goodfellas"....so why not do like 3 or 4 in this one?

Like I said, there is a superb movie in there somewhere.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just finished up Good Omens on Amazon. Fantastic. Well written, good acting, good effects. Nothing to knock your socks off, just an enjoyable irreverent romp.

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    The Expanse is about to come back out, if you are into space its a great show. They try to be fairly accurate to physics, seasons 1-3 are on Amazon now.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The Expanse is about to come back out, if you are into space its a great show. They try to be fairly accurate to physics, seasons 1-3 are on Amazon now.

I'm waiting. It's by far my favorite current show on any of the streaming services (that I've seen).

I started watching Vikings, but I'm not sold on it. Apparently I watched 1 1/2 episodes at some point. That's where I stopped it at again coincidentally. I might at least give the rest of the second episode a chance.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just started Greatest Events of WWII in Colour on Netflix. Pretty cool so far.

Yes, I found that show on DirecTV and had them all on DVR but just shut off DirecTV. I'm glad I found them being streamed online.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Expanse right now, it’s pretty freaking good.

I'll have to start watching that. Sounds pretty good.

I finally finished The Irishman. I say finally because it's 3-1/2 hours. I only had about 30-40 minutes at a time to watch it. And then ***damn Pat McAfee had a former mob guy, who was in the Columbo crime family, on his show who said it was all bull****. He said no way did Frank Sheeran....oops...almost spoilt it. Anyway, he said he knew Frank and Russell Bufalino. He said Pesci nailed Russell's character. He said Russell was well respected like they portrayed, but he wasn't as important as they made him out to be. If you don't mind spoilers, watch the episode on YT. I don't know how full of **** that guy is, but he tells some interesting stories.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'll have to start watching that. Sounds pretty good.

I finally finished The Irishman. I say finally because it's 3-1/2 hours. I only had about 30-40 minutes at a time to watch it. And then ***damn Pat McAfee had a former mob guy, who was in the Columbo crime family, on his show who said it was all bull****. He said no way did Frank Sheeran....oops...almost spoilt it. Anyway, he said he knew Frank and Russell Bufalino. He said Pesci nailed Russell's character. He said Russell was well respected like they portrayed, but he wasn't as important as they made him out to be. If you don't mind spoilers, watch the episode on YT. I don't know how full of **** that guy is, but he tells some interesting stories.

All I can say is that I have seen numerous interviews with Michael Franzese and read his book. There is an air of authenticity to what he says because it is not too over the top and self-aggrandizing...and because there are court documents to back up a lot of what he says.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All I can say is that I have seen numerous interviews with Michael Franzese and read his book. There is an air of authenticity to what he says because it is not too over the top and self-aggrandizing...and because there are court documents to back up a lot of what he says.

The major claim in the movie is the thing he's disputing. He said it didn't happen that way and it wasn't Frank. I don't know. It was a good movie though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ah, "The Irishman".

Yeah, there's a superb 2 1/2 hour movie hidden inside that very good 3 1/2 hours.

It was the best made-for-a-streaming-service movie I have seen.

Some things are distracting (no real spoliers)- for instance, the digital manipulation to make Deniro (and Pesci to a lesser extent)look younger and older is impressive, but changing the face on a 70 something year old man leaves a younger face on a body that moves like a 70 something year old. Watch the scene at the grocery store. Also, the scene in the steam room- Deniro's head on someone else's body and it was obvious.

Final thoughts, I guarantee you that Netflix told Scorsese that he had 100% control of the final cut....and this is what happens when you tell that to a director who loves every scene he filmed. Also, stunt casting- Harvey Keitel had how many lines? 2? 3? And I I love Steven Van Zandt, but he can't lip synch. And yes, everyone loved the folllowing (steadycam) shot in "Goodfellas"....so why not do like 3 or 4 in this one?

Like I said, there is a superb movie in there somewhere.

Watching it now - early on there's a spot of noticable "head swap". Impressive that it can be done, but still jarring. Some of the CGI during shootings is chintzy...

Still it's a DeNiro, Pesci, etc. gangster flick and that's always fun.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Watching it now - early on there's a spot of noticable "head swap". Impressive that it can be done, but still jarring. Some of the CGI during shootings is chintzy...

Still it's a DeNiro, Pesci, etc. gangster flick and that's always fun.

Yeah. but threeee and a halfffff h o u r s!

3.5 stars.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Fortitude on Amazon! Friggin great series. 2 seasons. 700ish people, 2000 polar bears. Everyone carrying a rifle. Police actually go off on a couple tourists for exploring without a firearm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom