Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Should the head of an advocacy organization be dedicated to the cause or dedicated to the dollars he could make? If he wants to make money, go into the private sector and put his 'lobbying skills' up for auction. If he is as good as you think he is, you would think someone would snap him up

So, in answer to your question, between 1/21 and 1/35 of what he was paying himself
    What was the average size of those NPOs?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Actually a mostly non member group is following the lefts lead to destroy the NRA. I am clearly on the record here promoting tactics to those here that can vote to get good board members on the board and replace WLP. I bet 90% of those complaining cannot even vote. Can you vote in NRA elections?
    How can non-members destroy the NRA? They already don't pay WLP's haberdashery bills dues and they can't vote?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Should the head of an advocacy organization be dedicated to the cause or dedicated to the dollars he could make? If he wants to make money, go into the private sector and put his 'lobbying skills' up for auction. If he is as good as you think he is, you would think someone would snap him up

So, in answer to your question, between 1/21 and 1/35 of what he was paying himself
    Yeah. Its one thing to be making double, triple, or even 5x more than normal. But this is excessive.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I will preface this by saying that I have no idea whether WLP is a good guy or a bad guy. However, the emotions on display remind me of what happens when there is a schism within a movement. One side sees Billy Graham, the other Elmer Gantry. Big Brother/Emmanuel Goldstein. Either you support the leadership or you are an apostate. Either oppose the leadership or you are a boot-licker.

Bottom line is that if the leadership of the NRA wants to retain/regain the trust of the membership, they need to be transparent about finances and clearly define compensation levels in the leadership. That does not seem too much to ask, does it?
    They also need to take an axe to the board of directors. They have about 10x as many as they need, which makes it difficult (by design, I would argue) to get anything done and is way too many mouths to feed for a non -profit

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What was the average size of those NPOs?
    That was the range of salaries being paid, gross receipts were not indicated

For comparison, one of the highest salaries for a charity in the US is for the head of ALSAC, which runs St. Jude's Children Hospital

They have $2.4 billion in gross revenues and the CEO's salary is $1.558 million, the board is only 41 members (just slightly more than 1/2 the size of the NRA's) and 38 of those are outside directors

That ratio of the CEO pay is 1/1540th of revenues for an organization 6x the size of the NRA at its height

Applying that factor to WLP, he should have been paid no more than ~$260k

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We need ones who will protect the
    2A in an ethical and fiscally-responsible manner. Problem is, it's a tricky endeavor to get an idea of where someone's quest for megalomaniacal financial self-aggrandizement sits in their personal hierarchy of values, relative to protecting the 2A. You have to assume the worst.
    We could write salary ranges and extra compensation rules and size and composition of the board into the bylaws, with any changes requiring a 2/3 vote of the entire voting membership

If the salaries are reasonable and the possibility of finagling them remote, the ones most interested in enrichment will likely filter themselves out

And while we're rewriting the bylaws, let's require them to acknowledge that there are actually FOUR rules of gun safety :coffee:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For a national lobbying organization, and that is what the NRA is, having its HQ at teh national capital is hte logical choice.
    Why does the HQ need to be there? It is not just a lobbying organization, and the spread of that idea is likely how it became something so far from its roots. I should think a small DC outpost for when actual lobbying needs to take place would be sufficient. It should be located somewhere where a member could visit the HQ without having to disarm

I think a lot of us remember it fondly because of local programs we took part in in all of the many places we are from. That is what built loyalty to the organization, as well as listening to the membership on what it lobbied for rather than telling the membership what positions they should hold

Seems like it should be more like 4H for firearms owners rather than some sort of slick marketing firm. The clout it once enjoyed was the ability to mobilize enough votes and volunteers to affect local elections around the country. When the membership no longer believes you have their best interests at heart, you have lost that clout

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

This is irrelevant because few are the size of the the NRA to compare. He built what became the pinnacle of the NRA. It is not easy, if not impossible, to be both like us and spend all your work in the swamp. This is not some do-gooder nonprofit where the CEO kisses a few babies, begs government for money, and drinks champagne at parties.

There needs to be an understanding of what the position is, it is a politician position, not a typical CEO position. WLP was at the helm of leadership when the organization increased over fourfold. Paying a leader that built the organization up .003% of revenue does not seem out of line to me.

Again, this is not a local gun club, it is an unequaled national organization that lobbies for gun rights...

There is some dispute as to how many NRA members there are in any given year, but there is no question that NRA membership, money, and influence have expanded dramatically over the past four decades. The NRA claimed to have 2.5 million members in 1991, when LaPierre became CEO. Membership ranks grew to 3.4 million by 1995, and are now up to roughly 5 million, according to the NRA.”

“NRA revenues have climbed from $100 million in 1995, to $228 million in 2010, and up to $337 million in 2015.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah. Its one thing to be making double, triple, or even 5x more than normal. But this is excessive.
    What percentage of revenue did those CEO’s make? Does it not account for anything that WLP was at the helm when the organization was grown fourfold? He was paid $190,000 in 1991 and within a couple of years increased the membership 30% and nearly doubling revenue.

I thought we believe people should be paid for their performance, what they produce. I am on the record here saying I didn’t like the guy and I thought it was tome to replace him, he ran his course, time for new blood. The NRA is not the run of the mill NPO and should not be payed like it.

The new CEO should be paid about $300,000 to get good talent and offered a percentage of revenue increases. Do you think the new CEO will have the cell phone numbers of top politicians? As they grow the organization they should earn more…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think purple was implied in Expat's comment.

The proposed move to Texas was not an attempt to lay-off an expensive D.C. workforce and replace them with more affordable Texans. It was an attempt to escape the attention-seeking NY Attorney General machine which has been a stepping stone to the NY Governors' office for people like Elliott Spitzer.

The zip code where NRA currently resides is one of the richest in the Nation. That's not an accident, and I will assure you it was not chosen with penny-pinching in mind. DC in general is expensive, but that's where the "game" is. The NRA is not some insurance call-center trying to minimize employee cost of living and employment expenses by locating in Muskogee RFD. Alexandria is a tony suburb and it's where the NRA decision makers (and their stylish wives) wanted to live.
    I would point out that the AOPA, which represents ~400k pretty well-heeled members and is very active politically at both local and national levels representing the interests of its membership, has its headquarters in Frederick, MD - 1 hr plus driving away from DC. That's just one example of an organization that doesn't fall for the canard that to lobby in DC you have to be able to catch an Uber to a very expensive restaurant on a moment's notice

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seems like it should be more like 4H for firearms owners rather than some sort of slick marketing firm.
    I would not support a primarily 4H style organization for the NRA. That is so 1965, they are now mainly the national boogieman and lobbyist to the states and feds.

The clout it once enjoyed was the ability to mobilize enough votes and volunteers to affect local elections around the country. When the membership no longer believes you have their best interests at heart, you have lost that clout
    Yep, it had real power. I just have not seen evidence that indicates the death penalty for the organization was warranted. But those members that advocated “starving“ the organization in response to the dirty laundry that was exposed in a power struggle is disproportionate to what occurred.

If members were so upset with the NRA, then organize 20,000-30,000 members to go protest the board meeting but it sure is easier to do nothing…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is irrelevant because few are the size of the the NRA to compare. He built what became the pinnacle of the NRA. It is not easy, if not impossible, to be both like us and spend all your work in the swamp. This is not some do-gooder nonprofit where the CEO kisses a few babies, begs government for money, and drinks champagne at parties. [True, it's one where the CEO skips the babies, jumps on the chartered jet and weekends at the 4 star hotel in Beverly Hills. Not sure if he has the champagne on the plane or at the $1500/night suite - maybe both]
    Reread the post about the organization that run's St Jude's, and remember that that salary is in the top ten of ALL charitable organizations in the US, so it certainly does compare

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would point out that the AOPA, which represents ~400k pretty well-heeled members and is very active politically at both local and national levels representing the interests of its membership, has its headquarters in Frederick, MD - 1 hr plus driving away from DC. That's just one example of an organization that doesn't fall for the canard that to lobby in DC you have to be able to catch an Uber to a very expensive restaurant on a moment's notice
    Who are the billionaires and what political party is trying to take constitutional rights from pilots?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would not support a primarily 4H style organization for the NRA. That is so 1965, they are now mainly the national boogieman and lobbyist to the states and feds.

Yep, it had real power. I just have not seen evidence that indicates the death penalty for the organization was warranted. But those members that advocated “starving“ the organization in response to the dirty laundry that was exposed in a power struggle is disproportionate to what occurred.

If members were so upset with the NRA, then organize 20,000-30,000 members to go protest the board meeting but it sure is easier to do nothing…
    You just said we were starving it, then said we were doing nothing. You probably should pick one narrative or the other, it will cut down on the amount of smoke being blown

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Reread the post about the organization that run's St Jude's, and remember that that salary is in the top ten of ALL charitable organizations in the US, so it certainly does compare
    We will agree to disagree. The only similarities between the positions are the title. Is it so out there to understand that politically incorrect organizations have to pay more to get talent?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So it's fine for you to decide that you won't support an organization the character and nature of which you don't approve of, but anyone else isn't allowed that same consideration?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    16 years of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama grew NRA membership levels. I don't know a single person who joined NRA because of Wayne LaPierre's magnetic personality or managerial prowess. They joined because Barack Obama and Bill Clinton were "Gun Salesmen of the Century."

Giving WLP credit for membership growth of NRA is like blaming Humans for Global Warming. His timing may have been impeccable, but that sh.t was happening anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom