• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am very thankful that I have well water and it's all backed up to a generator so I can pump some water for a little while at least if anything ever happens. I could pump up and store quite a bit really if need be. I know this is not the direction the thread is going but you can never undervalue one of the $20 life straws. Assuming you can find water of any kind and you should be able to, it's personal drinking water for a year with each one you have and it's only $20.

We have several of that style in our BOB supplies.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The (one) Sawyer Mini filter has as advertised rating, 100,000 gallons, lasting longer than the lifetime of most of my family.
    I have seen other SS container style filter systems that aren't Berkey branded for less money. Anyone know how they compare?

Sorry, but that 100,000 gallon rating is a joke. It probably is the correct rating for the filter, but how in the world will you drink 100,000 gallons through the equivalent of a straw?

As for the other SS filter systems, don't those use ceramic filters? The original Berkeys used those as well, but they added the carbon layer for additional purification. You can actually buy cheaper ceramic-only filters from Berkey if you want those.

I am very thankful that I have well water and it's all backed up to a generator so I can pump some water for a little while at least if anything ever happens. I could pump up and store quite a bit really if need be. I know this is not the direction the thread is going but you can never undervalue one of the $20 life straws. Assuming you can find water of any kind and you should be able to, it's personal drinking water for a year with each one you have and it's only $20.

Actually, the Sawyer is superior to the Life Straw. I have a Life Straw in my bug out bag, but if I was building a new bag, I'd go with the Sawyer. It has smaller pores and can better filter out biologicals.

Sawyer: Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
    Life Straw: 99.9999% bacteria & 99.9% Giardia

Also, the Sawyer is more flexible in how you can use the water- as a straw, drinking from a bag or container, or drip filtering into a pot. The Life Straw can only be used as a straw.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sorry, but that 100,000 gallon rating is a joke. It probably is the correct rating for the filter, but how in the world will you drink 100,000 gallons through the equivalent of a straw?...

I'm pouring through the filter with a screwed in gravity feed. 2 liter bottle funnel to a gallon jug.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A more elaborate pour through system would include UV light to zap bugs in the water.

As I said the other day, the only real ***** about water is the 8lbs per gallon. Even a 14 gallon barrel is over 100lbs. The 275 gallon cubes are cheap enough that anyone can store a fair amount of water. Going off worst case scenarios I don't want to have to deal with water when it's -30, couple feet of snow on the ground, the ice is a couple feet thick as well and the generator is dead so no Well pump.

To haul water 5 gallon mil spec jugs and carts with wheels. Barrels in a truck with 12 volt floating pump to fill them. Those cubes also fit nice in a truck bed, you don't have to fill it all the way.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Don't discount the oligodynamic effect. Items made of copper, silver or brass (because of the copper content) will kill bacteria over a period of time. Filters with silver content will keep bacteria from growing in the filter medium, and using silver/copper/brass utensils will minimize contamination from those items. Doesn't help with viruses or chemicals, but works on bacteria.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    What about these retention ponds that are all throughout neighborhoods and office complexes? I am sure they have tons of chemicals in them from fertilizer and lawn treatments, but could you use them as a water source? If yes, besides a filter and boiling, any other precautions that need to be used?

I have always wondered as I live really close to some and my office has a large one in front of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about these retention ponds that are all throughout neighborhoods and office complexes? I am sure they have tons of chemicals in them from fertilizer and lawn treatments, but could you use them as a water source? If yes, besides a filter and boiling, any other precautions that need to be used?

I have always wondered as I live really close to some and my office has a large one in front of it.

That is a good question. Would a retention pond surrounded by manicured grass have more residual chemicals than our water table, fed through farm fields full of similar chemicals?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Both situations will have substantial chemicals. I suspect which has more and exactly what type is strictly on a case-by-case basis. In other words, you would have to test them to know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Both situations will have substantial chemicals. I suspect which has more and exactly what type is strictly on a case-by-case basis. In other words, you would have to test them to know.

Would our home filtration capture this residue?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Would our home filtration capture this residue?

Depends entirely on what you mean by "home filtration". Based on the recent discussion, I'll drop the following info here for people to refer to:

Black Berkey Water Filter - performance specifications
    Looks like it does well with heavy metals, pesticides and pharmaceuticals.

I couldn't find anything at the Sawyer Mini site that indicated what chemicals it removed, only info about biologicals. Feel free to poke around and see if you can find anything.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Don't bother trying to purify a bunch of water to store for a long time period. Keep a few gallons on hand from your regular source and rotate it out every few months and use this water for the immediate purposes if SHTF. Then treat your bulk storage water (drum, creek, lake, etc) as you need it for direct consumption. Washing water does not need to be treated, cooking water does not need to be treated. Only the water you drink or brush your teeth with or the like needs to be treated.

For long term, buy a few of these and keep them around, they carry the shibumiseeker seal of approval for emergency supplies:

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

I just used a sawyer squeeze to provide all the drinking water from the whitewater river on a two day trip.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm looking for a more elaborate pour through filtration process. Is there a cheaper solution than the Berkey that does the same filtration? I mean a (stainless) ready to go solution vs built from 5 gallon buckets?

That said, maybe the long term solution points to the Berkey?

A lot of good information on this thread. :yesway:

b-dub, the Berkey is 'pretty' but I was satisfied with constructing my own dirty water / clean water system from inexpensive 5 gallon buckets. In the end, both do the same thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of good information on this thread. :yesway:

b-dub, the Berkey is 'pretty' but I was satisfied with constructing my own dirty water / clean water system from inexpensive 5 gallon buckets. In the end, both do the same thing.

I've been thinking along the lines of a couple of large water cooler bottles. Mouth to mouth with a filter between. Maybe a fill hole in the top bottle and a spout in the bottom?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Don't use anything clear for a home made water system. Your best bet is to use black 5 gallon buckets. Black will not allow light to penetrate, helping to prevent algae. Also, with lids off buckets are easier to clean. Finally they are easier to transport. Very easy to modify buckets for gravity feed with grommets, elbows and tubing. Get at least one mil spec water jug from LCI or Scepter for final fill container.

A simple and cheap filter for final steps are paper coffee filters. They are also great in various sized pots to keep soil/soiless mixes in the pot. Just put as final layer. Cheap, biodegradable and multipurpose.

While this video is for hydroponics, you can draw some inspiration from it for using buckets. I am biased because his videos have been helpful to me but you see what I am talking about in general.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9LiRIRSgI

I tell you what, today I will make one and snap some pics of an idea I have.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Not in Indiana appreciate the thought though. We have a stream that supports fish frogs etc. We also have two full rain barrells at all times. I was really looking for ideas short of spending $10k on a well.

Earthquake Maps Reveal Higher Risks for Much of U.S.

Much of the MidWest is subject to earthquakes, so Lex Concord's post may apply to your situation no matter where you are located.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom