• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Okay, I'm confessing right up front that I haven't read the rest of this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been asked, but whenever I hear people (or read people) talking about vaping, they all mention these goofy flavors (no offense to anyone that likes the goofy flavors, but "gooey butter cake"? C'mon!). My question is, do they make these cartridges (if that's the right term) that taste like, oh, I don't know... cigarettes? Like Marlboro Light flavor? Camel flavor? (The cigarettes, not the animal - ewwww!)

Want 2 Vape is a maker of juice that extracts the flavor from real tobacco. There are others that do this but Want 2 Vape has excellent flavors and I haven't tried any others yet. Halo and a lot of other makers use artificial tobacco flavoring. The closest thing I have found to real cigarette taste is Want 2 Vape's Paris blend. But it doesn't taste like smoking a cigarette, it taste like the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigarettes if that makes any sense.

Some of their cigar flavors have a much stronger tobacco flavor but still it doesn't taste like smoking. Instead they taste like having a cigar in your mouth and not lighting it.

Honestly once you get used to it you will see how much better it actually tastes.

The Tribeca I mentioned is a Halo Tobacco flavor. It tastes nothing at all like tobacco but it has a flavor all its own that is pretty good.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm using the "ITAZTE V V" which is an awesome variable voltage/wattage battery. Automatically adjusts for different ohms on whatever coil you're using. Adjust voltage and watts to find that sweet spot. Has a puff counter to set goals for yourself if you're wanting to completely stop using nicotine. 800mah lasts all day no problem. Charges via included mini USB cable. Charge through allows you to puff while it's charging. Charge takes very little time. Just an awesome battery for only $40 at Indy E-Cigs in broad ripple.

Another good store for e-fluid in broad ripple is dons vape store across from the fire station. Huge selection of flavors.

Been vaping pineapple, blueberry and a few custom flavors. Tried menthol...very strong and I hate it. Tried a few tobacco flavors, but quickly found myself NOT wanting to taste cigarette flavors, yuk.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I smoked cloves for nearly twenty years so I was looking for something similar in flavor, but haven't found one that even comes close. I felt the same way about the "sweet" and "fruity" eJuices, just couldn't fathom them. The local discount tobacco store is cool and have a couple dozen eJuices available for the curious to take a few test-puffs of to narrow it down before purchasing. After sampling several, including 5-6 tobacco flavors, a nasty clove that tasted like stale Teaberry gum, coffee flavor, a cigar flavor, and a pipe tobacco flavor, I let the gal at the vapor shoppe recommend a few of their better sellers. I must admit I am amazed that I like Gooey Butter Cake, Chocolate Hazelnut, Mint Chocolate, and Strawberry Banana better than any others I've tried, contrary to my preconceived notions against them.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Keep in mind also that some e-juice sampling stations don't have nicotine in them. Without the nicotine, there's no throat hit that you're accustomed to with smoking. Different e-juice companies provide their favors with different amounts of nicotine. A typical bottle of e-juice is 10 ml. Nicotine amounts are usually 0mg, 6mg, 12mg, 18mg, 24 and I've seen 36mg per milliliter. I go with 12 and 18.

So 12mg of nicotine per 10ml bottle will give you 120mg of nicotine in the bottle. A bottle lasts past a week, especially if you're going between different flavors. The bottles are usually 4-5 dollars on up. You're saving money AND avoiding the extra 3800 chemicals and carcinogens when you vaporize as opposed to deflagrate the material you're smoking.

Vaporizing takes the material to about 365 degrees where it becomes a gaseous state as opposed to smoke from burning. The vapor you exhale is water vapor. Your house won't stink or gather nicotine stains on the walls and curtains, you don't submit your kids and pets to second Hand smoke and you can do it most anywhere without worrying about lighting up then worrying about putting it out and dealing with the butt.

The tobacco industry is trying to outlaw vaping. Can you imagine why?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I've seen these sampling stations mentioned. Are they just for people that already have their "unit", or can you actually try the various types of units as well? Sounds like the general consensus is to avoid the cheap models, but I don't want to invest a lot and then find out it's not for me.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Okay, I've seen these sampling stations mentioned. Are they just for people that already have their "unit", or can you actually try the various types of units as well? Sounds like the general consensus is to avoid the cheap models, but I don't want to invest a lot and then find out it's not for me.

Go to Indy E-Cigs between broad ripple park and broadripple highschool. They have a good selection of equipment and they won't try to sell you junk. They have a sampling station setup with batteries so you can try the different flavors. I had my eye on a fancy looking unit that was $70. They suggested against that one and showed me what THEY were using, the ITAZTE VV which was hanging around the necks of the shop clerks. They showed me what was good and what wasn't and I saved $30 on an EXCELLENT battery. Besides the battery, you'll need the head that holds the juice and the coil. I've been buying the EVOD cartomizers for $6 each in different colors so you can have different flavors on hand to choose from. The coil screws into the bottom of the head and those run about 2-3 dollars and last a week or two depending on how much you use it. If you bought your own nichrome wire and wick supply for about $2, you could rebuild your own coils.

I bought a protank cartomizer just to try out what is supposed to be really good. I found the PROTANK to be too easy to not understand how to put it together. The EVODs have fewer parts that come apart and they work great. When I first went there not knowing what I needed, I bought the EVOD BCC starter kit for $65 which came with 2 batteries, 2 heads, 2 bottles of ejuice of your choice and 3 extra coils. You could be in like flinn with the Itazte V V for $40, one head for $6 and a bottle of juice for $4 = $50. When you buy a new EVOD head (cartomizer) they come with a new coil already installed.

A few years ago, it cost around $200 for a GOOD Ecig that worked right. Prices have come down considerably, but they're still selling junky ones here and there. If it looks small and about the size of a real cig, then it's junk.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If it looks small and about the size of a real cig, then it's junk.

This is an incorrect statement. I started out with a Joye Tech 510 manual battery system. It is an excellent little battery and pushes enough power that I can run my CE3 clearos on it no problem. So I can use the same clearo all day and come home refill it and stick it on my Ego-T and vape all night too. It is also small enough, even with the clearo installed that I can keep it in my pocket all day while at work and hit on it as needed.

It is true that MOST of the small 510 sized batteries are junk but as long as you stick with Joye Tech you will get a good system no matter what you buy. The Joye Tech eGo batteries will run any tank, any clearo or carto on the market and wont cost you an arm and a leg. I like the Twist version for the variable voltage feature so you can dial in your unit. If I want to vape a lot I use my Vision Nova tank.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    After messing around with some cheap units, and having disappointing results, I bought an Ego system. I am 27 hrs without a real cigarette. :yesway: Thanks Indy Vapor Shop for hooking me up, and this thread for helping me keep my eye on the prize.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    After messing around with some cheap units, and having disappointing results, I bought an Ego system. I am 27 hrs without a real cigarette. :yesway: Thanks Indy Vapor Shop for hooking me up, and this thread for helping me keep my eye on the prize.

Hang in there! I'm 361 days into it and am doing great. Take the $ you would've spent on real cigs and put it in a jar everyday as a reward to yourself. At 200 days I had enough and purchased my holy grail revolver, a Talo 686+.
    It helped me to have a long term goal, and by the time I reached it, I don't even think of real cigs anymore.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Three weeks in and no ciggies. Don't even want one, not at all. Bought a couple of the Kanger EVODs, some wire and wick to rebuild my coils from Hoosier Vapes. I still like the much maligned (lol) Gooey Butter Cake and have taken to adding a couple drops of coffee eJuice to it now.

One odd thing I've noticed, that may not be related to vaping at all, is that my front teeth hurt a bit at times. I just had a dental exam, and that was all good, so I don't think they're the issue. It seems to only happen after I find myself spacing out and power-vaping like while reading or plucking navel fuzz. Anybody else?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Three weeks in and no ciggies. Don't even want one, not at all. Bought a couple of the Kanger EVODs, some wire and wick to rebuild my coils from Hoosier Vapes. I still like the much maligned (lol) Gooey Butter Cake and have taken to adding a couple drops of coffee eJuice to it now.

One odd thing I've noticed, that may not be related to vaping at all, is that my front teeth hurt a bit at times. I just had a dental exam, and that was all good, so I don't think they're the issue. It seems to only happen after I find myself spacing out and power-vaping like while reading or plucking navel fuzz. Anybody else?

No issues here. I've read that some effects felt when you start vaping is actually from withdrawing from the cigs and will go away.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    So I am 2 days in and still haven't had an analog. Here is a breakdown of my experience (forgive me if I don't get the terms correct)

4 years ago I bought a Pro Smoke kit online. It was fine for what it is but I wasn't ready to make the switch. Early this year I decided to try some disposables, found at nearly every gas station. I found my favorite was the Blu brand disposable. The battery on the disposables always gave out before the end of the day, and well under what would have been a pack of cigarettes. I broke down and bought the Blu kit (approx. $60). The cartridges were running about $14 for a pack of 5. Within a week I had walking pneumonia. I can't say it was from the ecigs but it was enough of a coincidence that I was unwilling to continue with them.

Fast forward to Sept. A friend had been vaping for over a year and had built a mod. He left me 2 bottles of Desert Horse 24mg. He lent me his EGO ECab kit. I let it sit for a week or so before trying it. My first impression was favorable. Much more vapor and cigarette flavor than I had been getting from any of the others I tried. I wasn't really ready to commit, and only played around with it. About 2 weeks ago I experimented with going one whole day with just the ecig, then the next on real cigs. I alternated that way for about a week. I became convinced that i could probably make the switch.
    I ordered an Joyetech Ego kit from Indy Vapor and 4 flavors of standard mix in 24mg and 1 gourmet mix in 24mg. The Ego kit came with 2 Ego-C upgrade batteries, 2 atomizers, charger, and 5 type A cartridges. I don't care too much for the limited capacity of the Type A cartridges so I have ordered atomizers and the tank cartridges to replace them. I am sure I will stick with vaping now, and I will probably continue to modify these as i go. At this point I am too new and too ignorant of what can be done, what goes with what, and what the differences are.

As for the flavorings, I have Desert Horse, Peach, Flu Cured, Cappuccino, and Rich Cafe Mocha. Desert Horse is ok. I like it in the morning and after meals. The Flu Cured is a mild tobacco flavor, I don't know if i will order any more of it. The Cappuccino and Cafe Mocha are pretty good and I can vape them anytime. I think i will keep some of them around for when the mood hits. I really like Peach flavor, it tasted/ smells great, but the hit is too mild. I may look for it from some of the other juice manufacturers.

So,there it is. After smoking for 35 years, I feel like I can finally quit. I know it has been only 2 days, but it is a real victory for me at this point. Thanks for reading and posting, keeping this thread alive.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I broke down and bought the Blu kit (approx. $60). The cartridges were running about $14 for a pack of 5. Within a week I had walking pneumonia. I can't say it was from the ecigs but it was enough of a coincidence that I was unwilling to continue with them.

Some people can have a reaction to PG (propylene glycol, basically food coloring). I think Blu cigs use a 50/50 blend of PG/VG ( vg is vegetable glycerin, this is used as base in many artificial flavorings but is basically refined vegetable oil from my understanding) PG can cause minor irritation to your your throat and lungs if you are sensitive to it. Try using a blend of juice that is mostly VG and see if that helps. Some companys offer 100% VG juice for people who are sensitive to PG.

Glad to hear you are having good luck so far! I will admit I fell off the wagon a few times but it was easy to get back on. I started vaping in January and have been consistently smoke free for about 8 months now.

Good luck and stick to it!

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    <sn> forgive me if I don't get the terms correct <sn>

Paul, you not only got everything correct and accurate, you've just posted one of the best write-ups I've seen.

You even included that which we don't dare talk about in an open forum out of fear of non-vapors who want to "fix" us (namely the little known fact that +/- 3% of beginning vapors are somewhat vulnerable to a slightly diminished immune system for several days after they start).

Great post! Seriously. :yesway:

Have you tried MBV's regular butterscotch (w 2 "flavor shots")? I don't even like the taste of butterscotch all that much, but that's become my old standby. I's good as-is, but for some reason it also mixes well with just about any other flavor and works GREAT for the times you run across a really nasty / harsh ejuice. Along with MBV's "sweetener" it seems "calm down" otherwise unusable ejuices.

Last edited:

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Ok guys, I'm in. After reading this thread I'm going to order a kit.
    I quit cold turkey 3yrs ago, stayed off cigs for 2yrs while my wife continued to smoke.
    That was hard to do, especially when I'd get a little buzz on. Ive been cheating/part time smoking for a year now.
    I'm going to get a kit to toke on part time and hopefully the wife will try it out and kick the analogs!
    Thanks guys!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Ok guys, I'm in. After reading this thread I'm going to order a kit.
    I quit cold turkey 3yrs ago, stayed off cigs for 2yrs while my wife continued to smoke.
    That was hard to do, especially when I'd get a little buzz on. Ive been cheating/part time smoking for a year now.
    I'm going to get a kit to toke on part time and hopefully the wife will try it out and kick the analogs!
    Thanks guys!
    Go back and read post #2 in this thread.
    I'm still tobacco free. :)

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I certainly like the way 80/20 eJuices vape better than the 50/50 mixes, though I've been told a better mod with higher power would likely give better results from 50/50. I've tried three brands thus far: Hoosier Vapes (80/20), Puffs (80/20), and Aqua (50/50), and I've observed that the previously posted tooth pain concern correlates only when using the 80/20 mixes.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I certainly like the way 80/20 eJuices vape better than the 50/50 mixes, though I've been told a better mod with higher power would likely give better results from 50/50. I've tried three brands thus far: Hoosier Vapes (80/20), Puffs (80/20), and Aqua (50/50), and I've observed that the previously posted tooth pain concern correlates only when using the 80/20 mixes.

Any of the 50/50 mixes I've tried have had a funky aftertaste that I couldn't get past. I've been on 80/20 or 70/30 since that.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Has anyone tried rebuilding their coils?

Kanger EVOD T3 MT3 Bottom Coil Atomizer Rebuild HD Close Up - YouTube

I found out you can rejuvenate your weak coils by burning them off. Just remove your tank and cycle the coil attached to the battery 5 or so times for 3 or 4 seconds each cycle. It cooks the "crap" off the coil extending it's life.

I also found a cheap resource for anyone wanting to DIY their own e-juice.

Wizard Labs

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Has anyone tried rebuilding their coils?

Kanger EVOD T3 MT3 Bottom Coil Atomizer Rebuild HD Close Up - YouTube

I found out you can rejuvenate your weak coils by burning them off. Just remove your tank and cycle the coil attached to the battery 5 or so times for 3 or 4 seconds each cycle. It cooks the "crap" off the coil extending it's life.

I also found a cheap resource for anyone wanting to DIY their own e-juice.

Wizard Labs

I have these same coils. I rebuild them every time it needs it. I've got it down to about 3-4 min per coil. I use 32ga Kanthal wire and unbleached cotton for the wick.
    Most of the time, I just take the wick out, burn the coil a few times to get anything nasty off of it and put a new wick in.
    It couldn't be simpler. compared to around $2 per coil, rebuilding takes just a few cents.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom