• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I realize that you can't see past your own biases are looking at things dispassionately, but it really seems you are being deliberately obtuse

The course you are advocating will ... displease, shall we say ... the 28% of republican voters who say they are actually Trump voters not republican voters. The reason you cite for advocating this course is that there are republicans who will not vote republican if the nominee is Trump. I have not seen their numbers quantified, but I would guess it would be well under 10%

But even if we use 10%, giving up 28% to try to appeal to that 10% ONLY makes sense if advocates for that path believe that they won't lose anything because those 28% will HAVE to vote for DeSantis the guy you don't have because they will have no other choice. That is taking those voters for granted, exactly the same thing Democrats do with the black vote.

Those voters are willing to vote for Trump even if he goes third party, so it is foolish to count on those votes, that's why I say if Trump goes third party, you're ****ed. You have chosen unwisely

If you want to reduce it to just you and I without larger implications, then my vote for the America First candidate cancels out your vote for the Club for Growth candidate and in that microcosm its a wash

Despite his difficulties since he left office, about a third of Republicans and Republican-leaning voters still consider themselves supporters more of Trump than the Republican Party, according to a recent NBC News poll. Many of them aren’t going anywhere. Fully 28 percent of Republican primary voters are so devoted to the former president that they said they’d support him even if he ran as an independent
    One Republican strategist close to the Trump campaign said potential candidates don’t want to directly go after Trump for fear of alienating his voters who they ultimately need to win.
    Plus 10% minus 28% equals minus 18%

Minus 4% is probably enough to sink the SS I Don't Have A Guy

FAnFO

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    RFKjr is polling 20% and Bernie was at 18% I believe last time he ran. They would make a formidable challenger to Biden such that the party may not be able to screw them without destroying its own chances, thus neutralizing the superdelegate shenanigans

I'd probably take RFK over pence, if the choice came down to it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm bored here so I'm just goona noodle about and address something about when some Trump supporters automatically assume a given about who "my guy" is when I express misgivings about Trump sometimes.

"Oh your guy must automatically be DeSantis then." "You only pretend that you don't have a guy." Why do you take it for granted and automatically assume that? I'll quote a post here that I made a few days ago when Hutchinson entered the race that sums up my position on the primaries, which is no one has a lock on my support as of yet.

Like I said in the post quoted below I still don't see anyone yet that doesn't sway me from viewing Trump as the better option for now. I'm still waiting to see who shines the most in the primaries and if anyone doesn't impress me enough at that time to earn my vote (including DeSantis if and when he enters) they will not receive it and I'll wait until the general election and vote for the nominee.

So this should about cover what my positions are for the primaries and the general so that no one can any longer make an assumption about me and who "my guy" is.

Hutchinson is a pass for me too. Go stand in the corner with Haley and that Ramaswamy guy. The more of these kinds of candidates that trot out there the more it makes Trump look like the better option. I wanna give someone else a chance but c'mon gimmie something to work with.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I realize that you can't see past your own biases are looking at things dispassionately, but it really seems you are being deliberately obtuse

The course you are advocating will ... displease, shall we say ... the 28% of republican voters who say they are actually Trump voters not republican voters.

What? The course I'm advocating? I read the course you seem to claim I'm advocating and I don't recognize it at all. The course I'm advocating is you vote for the person who you think is best for America. I'll vote for the person who I think is.

Now how does that fit in with this ridiculous narrative you're trying to build? Where do you get this ****? where you think I'm taking you for granted. I am not advocating that you choose DeSantis in your primary. I know that you will vote for Trump. And that's your decision to make, not mine.

The reason you cite for advocating this course is that there are republicans who will not vote republican if the nominee is Trump. I have not seen their numbers quantified, but I would guess it would be well under 10%
    Okay. I'm really curious. Where did I advocate that? I think that Trump will lose in 2024. I've said that on several occasions. The reason I think that isn't because I'm courting 10% of Republicans. It's because 50% of Americans, including that 10% of Republicans think Trump is the villain. People don't vote for the villains. They'll come out in droves to vote against the villain.

And I'm under no delusion about any other Republican candidates. Republicans ARE the villains in pop culture. DeSantis would probably lose too. Turning around the villain narrative is the most important thing Republicans can do. They need to red pill a **** ton of people over the next 18 months.

But anyway, back to this "taking for granted" delusion, I really don't get it. What you confuse as me being intentionally obtuse, is really your lack of insight. I don't understand your thinking. I dunno. Maybe it's that you need an nemesis. Someone you can prop up to hate because when I punch your orange god in the nose, he bleeds.

But even if we use 10%, giving up 28% to try to appeal to that 10% ONLY makes sense if advocates for that path believe that they won't lose anything because those 28% will HAVE to vote for DeSantis the guy you don't have because they will have no other choice. That is taking those voters for granted, exactly the same thing Democrats do with the black vote.

Those voters are willing to vote for Trump even if he goes third party, so it is foolish to count on those votes, that's why I say if Trump goes third party, you're ****ed. You have chosen unwisely

If you want to reduce it to just you and I without larger implications, then my vote for the America First candidate cancels out your vote for the Club for Growth candidate and in that microcosm its a wash

Plus 10% minus 28% equals minus 18%

Minus 4% is probably enough to sink the SS I Don't Have A Guy

FAnFO

It appears you've been doing math on the back of napkins again. Math on a figment of your imagination. So tell me. What am I advocating? Put that OSU education to use. Say it plainly. No equivocating. I call. Show your hand. What am I advocating? Conjure up all the intellectual integrity you can. Say what I think I'm advocating in a way that I would agree.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm bored here so I'm just goona noodle about and address something about when some Trump supporters automatically assume a given about who "my guy" is when I express misgivings about Trump sometimes.

"Oh your guy must automatically be DeSantis then." "You only pretend that you don't have a guy." Why do you take it for grated and automatically assume that? I'll quote a post here that I made a few days ago when Hutchinson entered the race that sums up my position on the primaries, which is no one has a lock on my support as of yet.

Like I said in the post quoted below I still don't see anyone yet that doesn't sway me from viewing Trump as the better option for now. I'm still waiting to see who shines the most in the primaries and if anyone doesn't impress me enough at that time to earn my vote (including DeSantis if and when he enters) they will not receive it and I'll wait until the general election and vote for the nominee.

So this should cover what my positions are for the primaries and the general so that no one can any longer make an assumption about me and who "my guy" is.

Oh, c'mon. You're a Trumper. I know it. You know it. Bug & co are oblivious to it. Because they can't imagine any Trump supporter saying things he doesn't like about Trump. Or even looking to see if there's a better option. For me, I compress Trump and supporter to make Trumper. It's just shorthand for Trump supporter. No per se derision implied.

There are two kinds of Trumper. Died in the wool, fiercely loyal, almost superstitiously fearful of uttering any words against. The other is someone who supports Trump simply because they see him as the best of the choices available, but could vote for someone else if better is available.

I think Bug & co is the first kind of Trumper. From your posts I would assume you're the latter kind of Trumper. Either way, to the first kind of Trumper, the second is disloyal and must be shunned. Shunning is the natural way of the cult. It keeps its membership pure. You might as well wear DeSantis pajamas you traitor. You're no real Trumper. No real Trumper would ever entertain even momentarily the possibility of voting for DeSantis. As long as DeSantis is a rival to Trump, if you even pay DeSantis a complement, that means you're fiercely loyal to him and not Trump.

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oh, c'mon. You're a Trumper. I know it. You know it. Bug & co are oblivious to it. Because they can't imagine any Trump supporter saying things he doesn't like about Trump. Or even looking to see if there's a better option. For me, I compress Trump and supporter to make Trumper. It's just shorthand for Trump supporter. No per se derision implied.

There are two kinds of Trumper. Died in the wool, fiercely loyal, almost superstitiously fearful of uttering any words against. The other is someone who supports Trump simply because they see him as the best of the choices available, but could vote for someone else if better is available.

I think Bug & co is the first kind of Trumper. From your posts I would assume you're the latter kind of Trumper. Either way, to the first kind of Trumper, the second is disloyal and must be shunned. Shunning is the natural way of the cult. It keeps its membership pure. You might as well wear DeSantis pajamas you traitor. You're no real Trumper. No real Trumper would ever entertain even momentarily the possibility of voting for DeSantis. As long as DeSantis is a rival to Trump, if you even pay DeSantis a complement, that means you're fiercely loyal to him and not Trump.
    They talk about not wanting anyone to take them for granted but then they turn around and take it for granted that I must automatically be a DeSantis nut hugger like they are for Trump.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

And this tough-guy strategy will in fact be used again in 2024, no matter who the GOP nominee is. If Donald Trump vanished from the 2024 race tomorrow, the Democrat strategy used to smear Romney in 2012 would be rolled onto the political field whether the nominee’s name be Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson, Vivek Ramaswamy, or any other GOP candidate not named Trump.
    As I noted in these pages way back there in 2015, this “Trump can’t win” business has a serious predecessor. That would be from the “Reagan can’t win” crowd in both the media and the Republican Party Establishment during the rise of the actor-turned-California governor. As I noted, the Never Reagan crowd of the day was unhesitating. Some samples to remind:
    • New York Times: Reagan’s candidacy is “patently ridiculous.”
    • New Republic: “Reagan is Goldwater revisited…He is a divisive factor in the party.”
    • Harper’s magazine: “That he should be regarded as a serious candidate for President is a shame and an embarrassment for the country at large to swallow.”
    • Chicago Daily News: “The trouble with Reagan, of course, is that his positions on the major issues are cunningly phrased nonsense — irrationality conceived and hair-raising in their potential mischief… Here comes Barry Goldwater again, only more so, and at this stage another such debacle could sink the GOP so deep it might never recover.”
    • Illinois Republican Senator Charles Percy said Reagan’s candidacy was “foolhardy” and would lead to a “crushing defeat” for the Republican Party. “It could signal the beginning of the end of our party as an effective force in American political life.”
    • Former Republican President Gerald Ford said that “Mr. Reagan would be a sure-loser in November.”
    There was more of this drivel — oh, so much more.

To his decided credit, Trump persists, paying no attention to this kind of nonsense when applied to him. Nor should he.
    Can he win? Of course he can.

But the point here is simple. The Never Trumpers, having not learned their lesson — just as the Never Reagan crowd had not learned theirs — are still out there.

Surprise, surprise.

And the best thing to do is ignore them and move forward.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'd probably take RFK over pence, if the choice came down to it.
    I kind of see him as a democrat DeSantis, taking on hot button issues that don't matter that much in the greater scheme of things but make people angry and not really delving into issues that should be top ten in anybody's book - like closing the border, shutting off involvement in foreign wars, moving back toward an 'all sources' energy independence and not wrecking our own economy for some specious 'save the planet' hype

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm going to noodle around and address something about frequent Trump critics who claim they don't have a guy. IMO I see this as an effort to create a 'safe space' to enjoy the leg tingling thrill of dogging Trump while not having to defend any other position because 'we don't have a guy'. It is a variation of the Biden playbook, to be partisan while hiding in the basement. I find it disingenuous that likely most of the people who 'don't have a guy' would be DeSantis men if Trump dropped out tomorrow (which, of course, is what they want). That is my opinion, which is mine
    "Oh your guy must automatically be DeSantis then." "You only pretend that you don't have a guy." Why do you take it for granted and automatically assume that? I'll quote a post here that I made a few days ago when Hutchinson entered the race that sums up my position on the primaries, which is no one has a lock on my support as of yet.
    As I said, the chief arbiter of 'careful, evenhanded deliberation' and 'not having a guy' is, IMO, fully in the bag for DeSantis and is quite enjoying being able to needle Trumpers from the safety of Fort Prevarication. Given this, it shouldn't be a surprise that I am suspicious of the motivations of his fellow travelers

So this should about cover what my positions are for the primaries and the general so that no one can any longer make an assumption about me and who "my guy" is.
    Incorrect, the perceived veracity of your denial of partisanship affects one's willingness to believe your claims, which in turn affects whether such assumptions can be made or not. Having said so, I now expect the conversation to be diverted into some level of outrage on your part that I don't accept the level of nonpartisanship you claim. 'How dare I !!!'

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Died in the wool
    2nd time you've used this, can't realistically blame the iPhone

I never wear wool, and I likely have twenty to 25 years left on this mortal coil - although we can't take such things for granted

Did you perhaps mean 'dyed in the wool'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They talk about not wanting anyone to take them for granted but then they turn around and take it for granted that I must automatically be a DeSantis nut hugger like they are for Trump.
    Not so, I happen take those people for granted as jamil mini-mes

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It appears you've been doing math on the back of napkins again. Math on a figment of your imagination. So tell me. What am I advocating? Put that OSU education to use. Say it plainly. No equivocating. I call. Show your hand. What am I advocating? Conjure up all the intellectual integrity you can. Say what I think I'm advocating in a way that I would agree.
    I find it ... charming ... that you think I should believe you would acknowledge any answer I could give as accurate if it wasn't sufficiently hagiographic

'Guess what number I'm thinking of'

I think I will wait at least for the faux outrage that I 'won't address' your unserious, loaded and unanswerable question. I believe that usually comes in the next couple of pages

Standing by :cool:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    2nd time you've used this, can't realistically blame the iPhone

I never wear wool, and I likely have twenty to 25 years left on this mortal coil - although we can't take such things for granted

Did you perhaps mean 'dyed in the wool'
    Yeah. I did mean that. Thanks for the correction.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Not so, I happen take those people for granted as jamil mini-mes
    There you go with that jamil mini me **** again. My opinions are mine alone regardless of if some of them so happen to coincide with some of jamils. I don't post anything just to please jamil. I'm sure IM wouldn't like it If I referred to him as your mini-me. I respect him for his opinions, even though we might not agree all of the time. and I address them solely as that.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom