Today I am 11 days old.On November 12 at 6am I had a heart attack.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    As some know we live in the middle of no where in Lake County Minnesota.
    Chest pain at 6 am.Took some aspirin(though I did not chew it,you are supposed to)and my wife drove me to the nearest hospital in Two Harbors.

The local hospital confirmed I was having a heart attack gave me a ton of meds and stuck me on an ambulance headed to Saint Luke's cardiac center in Duluth.The pain at this point was incredible.From there I was rushed into surgery.During the installation of the first stent I coded.Three stents total in my RT.
    From there I spent 30 hours in intensive care,followed by 2 more days in cardiac care.

The good news.I have zero heart damage.My heart currently functions better than 85% of people my age.The ejection level of the left side of my heart is 58%(average adult is around 50%).I have started rehab 3 days a week.The rehab is more for me than my heart.My confidence in the old ticker needs some rebuilding.The doctor tells me in the next few weeks I should feel better and be less tired than I have been in years(now that the blockage is clear and there was no damage).

Questions of course ran through my head.Why me? I am 38 years old,not in any way obese,am in good shape,and have a LDL cholesterol of 99.Turns out genetics play a pretty big role,as did my former smoking.They now want my LDL below 70(for life)and of course low sodium diet.After diet changes and recovery time I should be in better shape than I have been in since high school.I am also at a lower risk of another heart attack for many years to come.

It really did make me think.You do not realize how mortal you are,until you die.The little things are more important than ever in my mind.My life has been forever altered for the better.My wife.She is,was,and has been amazing through the entire process.She is also getting a check up on Monday(she has had mildly high blood pressure for a long time).

Live,Love,laugh,learn,and stand firm on your beliefs. I was lucky enough to get a second chance,not all are.

If anyone has any question I will answer to the best of my ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvxVNGdwVwk&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOcW_YR1G8

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Glad to hear everything worked out OK, smokingman. Also glad that you got good medical care in a timely fashion. Here's to continued long life and good health! Welcome back!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So are you going to change your Login? Like "Reformed Smokingman"?

Smokingman is from the Xfiles and I do not need a new login.I guess if I where to change it I could go with Wampa
    wbox1h.jpg
    And thanks for stopping by after my heart attack....though that fence still needs work lol.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Glad to hear you're okay. Also sorry to hear about living in lake county! It's beautiful up there but I don't see myself ever returning. I have a tiny bit of an idea how scary things like that can be, I'm only 40 and thought I had an attack this summer, turned out to just be angina. Every time I over exert myself, it strikes and I get freaked out. Dr said it's because my COPD is preventing my heart from getting enough oxygen...I still smoke;)

Tripmaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Good to hear it all worked out.

I had a similar experience when I was 38. I went to the doctor with chest pain. Next thing he had me in the hospital for a catheterization followed by an angioplasty they didn't have stents back then. My LAD, the widow maker, was 95% blocked. Thirty days later I was in for another angioplasty. Thirty days after that I opted to have them crack my chest and do a bypass, actually two bypasses. I started the same way you are. Change of diet, watch the cholesterol, stress test every year. I tried the diet and was miserable. So I gave that up and decided that I was going to enjoy the new life I was given. I was just like you, no risk factors, was exercising regularly, my cholesterol was low at that time.

All that was 25 years ago and I haven't had a problem since. My cholesterol has gotten worse over the years. Was on Zocor for a while which worked well, but gave me sore muscles and had to quit. Now I take fish oil, flax seed oil, and eat what I want. I got my stress test every year and always passed it. When I gave up flying and no longer needed to up my FAA medical each year I quit the stress tests.

Moral of the story. Follow the doctors suggestions as best you can,but not to the point it makes you miserable. The life you have has to be enjoyable as well as long. You are right in that it makes you think.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Damn smokingman, glad to hear you made it through. Hang in there and heal fast! Best wishes to you and Mrs. smokingman.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Glad to hear you are doing OK, smokingman.

My younger bro, age 58, just had a massive heart attack Thanksgiving morning. Life-lined to the Heart Center here in Indy, from up north. They installed stints in 3 of his arteries, as well. He is slowly improving. He had been extremely healthy (never sick much, etc) for years. Then he fell at work and broke a hip, a few years ago..... and had not ever had any prior issues w/ heart, cholesterol, weight, etc. He quit smoking about 20 years ago, I guess.

We lost my oldest brother Ray, on Nov 10th from a heart attack. I couldn't take another loss like that right now. Prayer is the answer.

You take good care of yourself, buddy.... and do what the Drs advise. You & your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers. :yesway: :yesway:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Smokingman, Glad to hear you made it. I went through the same deal in January of this year. No drinking, smoking, and 122 LDL the day of my heart attack. Two more since then. I do my diet properly, almost no meat at all, and mostly fish and chicken when I do. LDL was 45 at second heart attack, 48 at 3rd. I do not think cholesterol is the real answer, but it is the easiest factor to modify with drugs, so Doctors go there first.

I would like to recommend a book by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr from Cleveland heart clinic. The book is "Prevent and Reverse Heart disease" I think it has some good tips and there is reference tips for other resources.

I also make every day count and plan for eternity. Good Luck my friend.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Smokingman, Glad to hear you made it. I went through the same deal in January of this year. No drinking, smoking, and 122 LDL the day of my heart attack. Two more since then. I do my diet properly, almost no meat at all, and mostly fish and chicken when I do. LDL was 45 at second heart attack, 48 at 3rd. I do not think cholesterol is the real answer, but it is the easiest factor to modify with drugs, so Doctors go there first.

I would like to recommend a book by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr from Cleveland heart clinic. The book is "Prevent and Reverse Heart disease" I think it has some good tips and there is reference tips for other resources.

I also make every day count and plan for eternity. Good Luck my friend.

Thanks for the book information and sharing your story.I am ordering the book.Out of rep...but I will catch you at some point.

Thanks to those who posted. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Keep rocking, man. Do the best you can, but you never know when your number's up. I hope yours isn't for a long long time. Kinda wakes you up, though. I learned not to say "chest pain" in the doctor's office without a good reason; I get pleurisy sometimes and I've been hooked up more than once. Fortunately I can tell the difference.

Top Bottom