• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I can give you a mountain of circumstantial evidence that tends to make exactly the opposite point you're trying to make. Though I don't think it would change minds of those whose minds have already been made.
    I've seen the same thing since June in outlying areas and posted, I dunno, 8-10 times.

The bottom line is pretty clear... distancing works the best. BUT, that means rolling back the phases whenever the virus "takes hold" and gets very common in an area.

Masks can mitigate that... don't wear masks? Then you'll end up with rollbacks, i.e. increasing lockdowns. It's as simple as that... seen it time and time again.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think a lot of people would make different choices if the normal rules of negligence and recklessness (which are foundational to the concept of individual liberty) were applied to spreading this virus.
    What if people who have difficulty breathing decide that if you interfere with their ability to breathe then you don't need to be breathing?

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I've seen the same thing since June in outlying areas and posted, I dunno, 8-10 times.

The bottom line is pretty clear... distancing works the best. BUT, that means rolling back the phases whenever the virus "takes hold" and gets very common in an area.

Masks can mitigate that... don't wear masks? Then you'll end up with rollbacks, i.e. increasing lockdowns. It's as simple as that... seen it time and time again.
    Like I said, evidence that challenges the views of those whose minds are made up is worthless to them. I see your mind is made up.

I observe the exact opposite in the Indy donut counties. I see the same rise in cases with >90% of people masked that you observe where "non one is wearing a mask". You can keep observing and posting, but the evidence doesn't support your assertions. If it makes you feel better, wear one, but stop whining about those who choose not to; you don't get to control them. If you're that worried, maybe you should just hide in your house till this is over.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Went to visit a buddy up in Pike County... had to stop at a gas station and then a liquor store for beer. Out of 15-20 people I saw going in and out, of the two placed, one was masked (besides me).
    It’s simple, you believe that a one size fits all, $.25 1/16th inch thick of fabric is going to protect you from direct contact with a virus. Those other people do not.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Like I said, evidence that challenges the views of those whose minds are made up is worthless to them. I see your mind is made up.

I observe the exact opposite in the Indy donut counties. I see the same rise in cases with >90% of people masked that you observe where "non one is wearing a mask". You can keep observing and posting, but the evidence doesn't support your assertions. If it makes you feel better, wear one, but stop whining about those who choose not to; you don't get to control them. If you're that worried, maybe you should just hide in your house till this is over.
    Mind made up? Hmmm... I believe my eyes... And I've seen this time and time again in smaller towns in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Iowa.

Other folks minds are made up that masks don't work, because mask mandates are in effect... never mind that there are vast oceans of towns that nobody wears a mask in... and those counties happen to be the red ones.

You mentioned Indy donut counties... name some small towns where you, personally, observe the 90% plus compliance because, honestly, in outlying areas I've visited in 4 states, I've not seen it, at all. Urban/metro areas were this should be the absolute worst, near 100% compliance. And IMO, if it weren't, those areas would be very much worse off... saw it here in Evansville in late May, June and early July. We just got ****ing lucky in the Spring that the virus wasn't here in numbers to spread rapidly... that happened in June and people were 80-90% masking in early July BEFORE the statewide mask mandate, and within a few weeks, it "broke" the exponential increase curve.

Saw the same thing statewide starting in late September when the state went Phase 5... IMO, the main issue with it was 100% capacity of restaurants and bars WHICH MEANS NO MASKS indoors in close proximity to strangers. The state numbers went up exponentially, until the reduction to Phase 3/4 of Red/Orange counties... the principal effect was reducing restaurant/bar capacity to 25%/50% in those counties. Within a few weeks of that, the state broke out of the exponential epidemic curve and flattened or retreated in those populous areas... what didn't, the outlying areas that don't believe in masks... nor that COVID is a thing much more than the flu.

You say evidence... show it! If you're talking about a Vietnamese study that used crappy 3% filtration cloth masks, then I'd say that's hardly a mask at all compared to ACS Nano measuring most well made cloth masks surgical masks at 80-90% filtration or better.

You disagree... fine. You want to say I don't look at all the evidence... I'd say look in the mirror.

continued....

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    If it makes you feel better, wear one, but stop whining about those who choose not to; you don't get to control them. If you're that worried, maybe you should just hide in your house till this is over.

Feelz? I've seen a lot of butt-hurt over this and the majority of it comes from people who don't believe masks work. And this part of your post shows exactly that butt-hurt attitude.

My feelz are fine and I'm not hiding nowhere, lol!

Don't believe masks work... fine, don't wear one. BUT, quit your whining about private property owners and store managers seeking to protect their employees in stores... shop somewhere else.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    It’s simple, you believe that a one size fits all, $.25 1/16th inch thick of fabric is going to protect you from direct contact with a virus. Those other people do not.
    I don't wear fabric, I wear 3-ply surgical... but what-evs... I'll believe the ACS Nano report over Gateway Pundit.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I wear the mask. I put the paint ball mask aside for a while and use the “approved” mask that says “not for medical purposes” on the box (the blue outside and white inside kind that makes Karen happy), and you know what? My breath flys out the side, top and bottom. When I am wearing sun glasses if fogs them quickly with atoms of my direct breath.

Unless we are all getting in MOPP3 it’s a complete waste of time. The cloth masks and bandannas are an ever bigger joke - except you kinda look like a cowboy with the bandanna

Frikin farce to keep the whiners happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Democrats: Affordable Care Death Panels
    Republicans: Coronavirus Death Panels

If the Democrats are right, then they will have even more voters in the next election because all the Rural Red Counties will be dying off providing an even larger Democratic voting base.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks

ACSPublications Link

ETA: Really liking the new site software!!! Text descriptions for links, finally!

One problem is lots of people can publish through ACS with their over 100,000 members - even people that have had too much kool aid, and some stuff gets through that probably shouldn't. In a way this is fine - a lot of stuff gets published that probably wouldn't otherwise but the problem comes when people start citing these publications like they are some sort of authority or something.

Have you read the ACS publications that call out the faulty methods in your cited paper?
    Or have you read the corrections published later to your cited paper?

Comment on Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks: Questioning Their Findings

Correction to Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks

ACS is something a college kids like to join because it looks good on their resume.

Qualification Requirements​

Applicants are required to meet the following criteria to sit for the ACS examination:
    1. Have a high school diploma or general education diploma at the time of application.
    2. Fulfill one (1) of the qualifications of the exam for which you are applying. See qualifications listed in the table below.
    3. Provide typed documentation to support the qualification under which you are applying. Required documentation for each qualification is listed below. CCI reserves the right to request additional information.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of the problems with "everyone I see is masked/unmasked" is "confirmation bias".
    You tend to see what you want to see.

Someone that is a racists might ignore a certain behavior from a hundred people in their own race, but then when they see it in one person from a different race, it PROVES their point.

To really determine if what you are seeing isn't confirmation bias, you actually need to take data. write down the number of people you see, masked vs unmasked, over a period of time.

Personally, I don't have that much energy.
    Wear a mask.
    Don't wear a mask.
    I really couldn't get a ****

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom