Not open for further replies.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    To aclark:

If this dork did not want to offer up his name, badge number, or anything else, maybe next time this should happen, call the local PD and have them come over and ID him. If he is a full time police officer, he will ID himself to them, and then have your local responding gendarmerie make a report of the incident.

Then call the appropriate law enforcement agency where this goofball works and drop a dime. This incident you described is at least something akin to "conduct unbecoming" which if the law enforcement agency takes seriously, will probably have the effect of tuning this guy up.

It may come to pass that this dork may not be a police officer, or worse a part time or reserve officer with limited authority. If this guy is a police impersonator, he should have been jailed. If he is/was associated with a police agency, this type of conduct is frowned upon. If this guy is a cop and you find out who it is and who he works for, call the Chief/Sheriff/Marshal of that agency and tell them that this guy is not welcome in your establishment in the future, and request if he returns and is NOT in uniform to leave.

Police officers are not above the law, contrary to how he acted. It is unfortunate that one bad apple so to speak, ruins our image to all.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in LE and I will say this. FIRST..no one should carry a weapon while consuming alcohol, a dangerous mixture that can only lead to trouble.
    Secondly, I have no problem with any office going out on the town having a good time. BUT...we have to remember we are what we are 24/7 and must act accordingly. If one can't do that, then they are in the wrong line of work. We must respect others and the rights that they and we too enjoy. Being off duty and flashing a badge and a weapon, OFF duty while consuming is a violation, at the minimum, to the decent men and women of LE. Making a situation personal and using a badge for revenge is the lowest thing an officer can do in my book. Yeah, there are a@@hole cops just as there are a@@holes in any part of life. They just manage to stick out larger than life because of the job. LEO's should be setting examples not making one of himself. If there was an event that was life threatening or hazardous to the patrons, then yes he should ID himself and aid in the solving of the situation, he should be helpful not a hindrance. Sorry you had to interact with this turd, I'm embarrassed as an officer by his actions.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    No it hasnt been all social, while quite a bit of it was, my brother in law was the head of the parks dept, and really good friends with the mayor and quite a few officers, thats where most the social comes into play. As far as officers in the line of duty, I have had my fair share of traffic stops, etc I am normally very complient, yes sir/no sir (or ma'am), but I have yet to have an officer respect me as a citizen. Ok I was speeding, but you dont have to have a power trip on me, and be a jerk. Now I'm not asking for a break, if I was speeding and you think I need a ticket ok, but you can still be nice and polite about it.

Also we have run ins with them at the bar. We try to keep good relations with them, as bar staff because often we do need help controling someone that out of control drunk, and yes those people can be a handful, but I have seen plenty of the cops we call totally disrespect intoxicated people that try to comply after the officer arrives on scene.

I have also had another experience with a (drunk) cop assulting a server, and the server fought back a bit. When we called the cops (we didnt know that he was a cop) the responding officer laughed about it with the drunk officer, let him go, and then the SERVER was suspended from work after the officers supervisor complained to our boss.

These are just a few of the instances that stand out in my mind, if you really want specific stories I'm sure I could write a short book with all the times I've seen BS like this happen.

Fair enough. You have seen some ugly things. One thing to keep in mind especially when you see a cop dealing with a drunk is how many times they have been through it, how many times they have had the drunk disrespect them, how many times they have had to clean puke or urine out of their squad, etc. I think that holds true with traffic stops as well, most aren't going to be warm and fuzzy cause they do it all the time.

If the comment about "character" was directed at me, that is fine. I responded primarily because a poster ask for input from LEO's.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Come to find out, one of the guys at the "older" table walked up to him, flashed a badge, untucked his shirt and placed his hand on his gun. He told the doorman that the younger guys had to leave because he was a police officer and he said so. He also threatened to call the police/excise and have them come into the bar and cause a big scene if the doorman didn't comply.

Name, please give me a name and agency. Let him be WLPD please, please, please.

You can e-mail me at kfreeman@nlci.com.

Thank you very much,

Kirk

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why do LEO's and former LEO's have to turn discussions into character attacks?
    Hmm, I think that the character attacks started when we were labeled as:
    power hungry, egotistical, pricks, that think everyone owes them something, and that they should be praised in every situation. finding a good cop is like finding a needle in a haystack".
    [/rant]

Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Not all cops are assholes. That is, as long as you're not a "young person." Oh, and if you also have long hair... well, just get used to the harassment.

I lived in a small town with a low crime rate and a bored police force. My high school had uniformed police officers in the lunch room every day. They even had one watching the "security" cameras (installed via Dept. of Homeland Security grant). It seems like high-schoolers were their only source of entertainment.

I've never been arrested. But I have been questioned and harassed quite a few times by these officers of the law. You don't have to be a trouble-maker to have a negative opinion about Pendleton cops.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    aclark, I was going to send a PM but decided that since my initial response to your post was on an open board that this needed to be as well.....My response to you was not put as nicely as it should have been and for that I want to apologize. You responded in a much more civil way than I probably deserved. I hope you will accept this as being sincere.

I do get a little fired up over any group getting painted with the same brush and sometimes my fingers type what my mouth would not normally say in the same way.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Annie, I didn't take your post in a negative manner at all. I understand you need to stand up for yourself, the ones in your family, and the others you served with. I will also apologize for the way I did blanket most officers. It has just been in my experience, that there are very few officers willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt about being a decent individual.

Maybe my view is skewed from being on a college campus, although I have seen officers "misbehaving" back at home (NWI); however, I have seen some of the more rural towns being a bit more relaxed. It really comes down to a case by case basis, as with most people in most lines of work, but its just really frustrating at times to see this kind of repeated behavior.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I would have gotten his badge number and reported him, but the other bartender went around to handle it with the doormen. I guess when they asked him to leave they did ask for a name, and maybe some other information, but this guy refused to give it to them. I guess I don't know for sure if he was a cop, but that's how he ID'd himself, but wouldn't give anyone any information, he could have just been a prick with a LTCH badge (I know you love those IGW).

And yes, to those that think I am knock the majority of cops, that's because I am. I have a few run in's with cops doing their job, and I've also know plenty of cops through social means, and just about all of them are egotistical, and think they are above the law. I've personally have heard them sit around a brag about how they screwed people that day, trying to one up each other. I have plenty of respect for the few that do it for the right reasons, but in my experience its mostly the kids that got picked on in HS trying to get revenge.
    aclark, please contact Tipp county about this. they are currently looking for a leo impersonator who has been stoping cars on &l near 231.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just want to say I love Harrys. And I have met and spoken with AClark and he seems like a dork... I mean... a NICE GUY. :)

Hopefully this will never happen again.

Are there CCTV cameras at the entrance? Perhaps there should be.
    You could call the ISP next time, too. Or some internal investigative department. And ask how to proceed should it happen next time. Put that info in some employee handbook, and add to your collective employee knowledge.

I wonder were they PUPD or WLPD? (impersonation possibility aside)

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Thanks, aclark. We hadn't had any contact before and didn't want to get off on a bad foot. You seem to understand well where I was coming from. I am sorry that you have had the experiences that you have. I would guess perhaps your location has some bearing on how they behave, but who knows. Anyway, I am glad you didn't take offense.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I would have if I could have. I was just trying to show to others (and any LEOs here) that these are the kind of things that happen that give them a bad name. A lot of officers know who the bad ones are, and know when they are unbecoming of the force. But I would beg to argue that there is no internal, peer pressure going on for those bad cops to change. If there were more of the "good cops" stepping up, calling out and correcting the "bad cops" it would be a-whole-nother story, but I would be willing to bet that's not the case. No one wants to be "that guy", or be the "nark" or whatever you want to call it.

What you don't realize is that we (LEOs) don't need you to point out the bad apples in the bunch, we know who they are. We usually know while they are in training and if they show aberrant behavior in training, they are sure as hell going to show it on the street. There have been numerous recruits and probationary officers that have done something similar to the situation you described and they have lost their jobs as a result. Some of the investigations were initiated due to citizen complaint, others were initiated by coworkers. If you are not part of the internal workings of an LE agency, you really have no idea how much peer pressure there is for potential bad cops to straighten up and fly right. Do some slip through the cracks and never answer for their actions? Absolutely. But to make a blanket statement that there is no peer pressure coming from other officers is false.

As to being "that guy" or a "narc", there isn't anyone on this planet that I will lose my job or serve prison time for. Well, maybe my daughter....but that is a whole different topic.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I completely agree with you that LEOs should be held responsible for their actions. THEY ARE! There are investigations for this. If you have a problem with one, take the appropriate actions. I agree that there should be no bad LEOs out there. But there is always going to be "that guy". I have been really great friends with a LEO for years and I am now in the process to become a LEO myself. I ave a good fealing that I am not going to be a
    power hungry, egotistical, pricks, that think everyone owes them something, and that they should be praised in every situation.
    I've been called that before for doing my job.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but you should really watch what you generalize about a profession that busts it's tail every night dealing with the scum of Indianapolis in order for people to sleep well at night.

Let's put it this way, I've been to many bars and I could give you plenty of situations where I ran into horrible bartenders(couldn't make drinks, slow to serve, etc.) But I didn't post it because I ran into that one guy who sucked.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I just don't go into bars or drink...keeps me away from the drunks. Nothing like a drunk ahole finding out that your a LEO and either try to start a fight, talk crap, or tell you EVERY bad cop story they can think of. Yeah...FUN.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    So let me summarize this story....

Most all LEO's are power hungry, assholes :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:. I did not talk to the one in question nor did I do anything about the behavior :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: But they all are still that way :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: there are very few good ones :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:.

So once again we have the lets bash LEO's thread on INGO.......:n00b:

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So let me get summarize this story....

Most all LEO's are power hungry, assholes :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:. I did not talk to the one in question nor did I do anything about the behavior :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: But they all are still that way :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: there are very few good ones :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:.

So once again we have the lets bash LEO's thread on INGO.......:n00b:

Great Summary - Repped :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom