• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They credit Clinton for the 90s too. :rofl:

i always ask: what policy did Clinton do that led to such success?

You're answering wrong Doc..Clinton let Hillary start on her universal healthcare kick and signed the AWB/Brady Law, thus causing the Republican Revolution of 1994 and the Contract With America....Which Bill Clinton signed into law all but one.....

So answer it for them when they summon the crickets....Then look at them and say, "Now you know......I had no idea you were such a Newt Gingrich fan....":)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    1990s:
    Republicans: It was the policies of George Bush/Reagan that created the 90s. It takes time for economic policies to produce economic growth.

20teens
    Republicans: Thanks to Trump look at all this economic growth!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    [video=youtube;hB2Fm2iAcXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB2Fm2iAcXc[/video]
    5b8tlX9.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm curious how Trump's presidency will ever be considered, by overwhelming consensus, Top 10. By what measure, Fox News? History books are still written by academia. History is still a Liberal Art. Liberals still rule academia. I have a fair hunch, that unless Fox News opens schools nationwide, this presidency probably won't be ranked that highly.
    You don't have to agree, but you know the logic is sound.
    :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm curious how Trump's presidency will ever be considered, by overwhelming consensus, Top 10. By what measure, Fox News? History books are still written by academia. History is still a Liberal Art. Liberals still rule academia. I have a fair hunch, that unless Fox News opens schools nationwide, this presidency probably won't be ranked that highly.

NICE! You have just called into question all of those suit kink infused rankings that are so complimentary of the Obama presidency! The system is rigged to favor progressives lolz

"Worst case of friendly fire since Veet Nam"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was thinking the same. He is right, you know.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BugI02 again.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    1990s:
    Republicans: It was the policies of George Bush/Reagan that created the 90s. It takes time for economic policies to produce economic growth.

20teens

Obama elected (4 Nov 08) Dow 9625.28

Obama inaugurated (20 Jan 09) Dow 7949.09 (-17.4%)

Market bottoms (9 Mar 09) Dow 6507.04 (-18.2%) [ -32.4% overall]

Trump elected (8 Nov 16) Dow 18332.43

Trump inaugurated (20 Jan 17) Dow 19827.25 (+ 8.15%)

Trump economy at (9 Mar 17) Dow 20858.18 (+ 5.20%) [+13.8% overall]

I can see how you could conflate the two periods of market history, lolz

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, by your logic Obama deserves credit for doubling the DJIA in his presidency, right?

...or are you willing to admit the economy is more complex than one man?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You know dude you've never been able to rain on my parade in six years of back and forth...Until now....And thanks for your honesty...I guess....

Damn it Spock!!!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, by your logic Obama deserves credit for doubling the DJIA in his presidency, right?

...or are you willing to admit the economy is more complex than one man?

As long as he also owns the continued drop on his watch. I mostly give him credit for mimicking what mutual funds do. You start a new fund just after the bottom and only keep score on the upside so that your 1yr 3yr 5yr numbers etc look really good

You know that the market has moved well above the 200 DMA and a correction is quite likely, right. Will be interested in seeing whether you seek to blame Trump/Trump's policies for any drop

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I notice you didn't use any numbers from the 1990s....yet say i did :) hmmm

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

For now. I see academia being one of the bubbles ready to burst in the future. Manufacturing = burst. Housing bubble = burst. Health Care = ready to burst. Academia = burstable?

How much longer can the gravy train for tenured faculty continue under the burden of massive student loan debt? Currently it seems having a college degree has replaced the hiring criteria that previously only required a high school degree. We have career baristas with college degrees and the massive underlying debt. Bernie's wet dream of "free college" is a pipe dream lacking "other people's money". I invision a time in the future where college will be a very different environment than we see today and with that the Prima Donna liberal professors will no longer have a venue paid for by others to spew their "logic".

I thought it was ironic how the hippie professors could not join in the Occupy Wall Street protest because they were an integral part of the problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Uhh, Oh. Kay.

The only thing that mentions the 90s is your own quote which I referenced. I used strictly comparable intervals of history, which are the two periods I am referring to

Care to elaborate?
    :@ya:

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    1990s:

20teens

Uhh, Oh. Kay.

The only thing that mentions the 90s is your own quote which I referenced. I used strictly comparable intervals of history, which are the two periods I am referring to

Care to elaborate?
    :@ya:

Sure. If you want to talk about a quote that is referencing how the Republicans talked about the 1990s period of growth vs the one year of Trump, then compare numbers from the 1990s and Trump. Not sidebar Obama into the mix and then say I conflated the two when I said nothing about Obama.

I admit you draw no conclusions directly from your numbers post so I will ask you directly your opinion.

Was Clinton responsible for the 1990s growth or was it Reagan Bush?

Was Obama responsible for the -32.4%?
    Was Obama responsible for the 18332-6504 or 7949 or 9625 recovery?

Was Trump responsible for the growth since elected or inaugurated?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sure. If you want to talk about a quote that is referencing how the Republicans talked about the 1990s period of growth vs the one year of Trump, then compare numbers from the 1990s and Trump. Not sidebar Obama into the mix and then say I conflated the two when I said nothing about Obama.

I admit you draw no conclusions directly from your numbers post so I will ask you directly your opinion.

Was Clinton responsible for the 1990s growth or was it Reagan Bush?

Was Obama responsible for the -32.4%?
    Was Obama responsible for the 18332-6504 or 7949 or 9625 recovery?

Was Trump responsible for the growth since elected or inaugurated?

If it happens on your watch, you get the credit or the blame. You have to draw a line somewhere. The important point is to apply the standard consistently. Obama's election didn't magically stop the bloodshed, so he get's the blame. He then presided over a rise in the Dow that was pretty much continuous but slow, for which he gets credit. Trump's election did not tank the market (as was widely predicted) and he has presided over a fairly brisk (perhaps too much so) run-up. Please be sure you give him credit for that

Clinton presided over 3 years of declining deficits followed by 4 years of surpluses, one of the best records of any president (Nixon was the only other president to preside over surpluses). It is immaterial to say his hands were tied by pay as you go, he still made choices in many areas that affected the outcome. He get's the credit.

Picking a standard and being consistent in its application is key. I would also blame Clinton and his appointees for the policies and lax oversight that inflated the dotcom bubble, with inevitable results. I would blame Obama and his appointees and policies for the fact that our recovery from the great recession was at less than half the rate of usual post recession expansions. The argument about the greater size of the recession is not germane

If you want the kudos, you have to accept the brickbats

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    I think both sides miss the mark. The American people deserve the credit for past and recent growth. Reagan/Bush created an environment that allowed it to happen. After 1994 Newt et al prevented Clinton from screwing it up. Obama’s term was adverse to prosperity but capitalism can’t be held in check indefinitely. Trump has given confidence to risk takers and regulatory reform make for a fertile business climate. Government doesn’t make squat, but it can sure jack things up.

Top Bottom