• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you want to take credit for an economic result you have to be able to point to a policy that changed things enough that an argument can be made you helped do it.

Clinton did nothing to help. Obama did nothing to help. The recovery happened DESPITE Obama's policies. He oversaw the single slowest economic recovery in the history of the country after a recession. If I'm digging a hole in the sand and my kids are throwing sand in it, I can still make progress. That doesn't mean they helped dig it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IMHO, Doc, that way lies madness - the endless argument with minute parsed into infinitesimals. I chose how I did to avoid the rabbit hole. If you want, I have no objection if you want to start the clock on an administration at the beginning of its 2nd FY in office so you can say that administrations policies would have made a difference by then, and lump that orphan FY in with the previous administration. Just as long as you apply the standards rigorously.

Once you start arguing who did what, you open up questions about whether congress or the president deserves more credit etc etc. The old saw is that the buck stops at the resolute desk, roll with it

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    [video=youtube;hB2Fm2iAcXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB2Fm2iAcXc[/video]

The answer that eluded Obama and democrats for 8 years, you change the policies which created the climate which drove companies to move jobs to other countries. You can’t have your mountains of stifling regulations, and your punative tax code, and have stuff built here with American labor. You have to choose what’s more important to you. Obama could have chosen to create a pro made-in-America climate. But being a global elitist **********, that never enters his mind, as the question of how to bring jobs back absolutely baffles him, as we can see in the video.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Obama's created jobs, his last year in office (or 11 months), compared to Trumps 11 months (12 months not used because Trump did not have the full month of January)

(per the Department of Labor)
    Obama: 2.09 million
    Trump: 1.84 million

:dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, Trump nipping at Obama's heels after only one (not quite) year! Just think how many jobs he'll be creating in 2023! MAGA

Anybody got numbers on manufacturing jobs for the two cited periods? Might have to get googling on my own

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    However, at the end Obama's first year unemployment was at 9.9%, by the end of his presidency, it was at 4.8%. Trump's presidency, so far, has brought it down from 4.5 to 4.1. There is no possible way that Trump could match that change. He has to keep it pretty much static. The lowest unemployment rate we've ever had, in modern times, was 2.9% in 1953. And sub 4% for 3 years in the 60s. Trump is going to have his work cut out for him keep the trend around the 4% level.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Obama's created jobs, his last year in office (or 11 months), compared to Trumps 11 months (12 months not used because Trump did not have the full month of January)

(per the Department of Labor)
    Obama: 2.09 million
    Trump: 1.84 million

:dunno:

Oh his last year huh? That's cute. For 7 years he wrecked the economy

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh his last year huh? That's cute. For 7 years he wrecked the economy

That's actually not true. One can simply ask the question "From the last day of Bush's presidency, to the last day of Obama's did the economy get better or worse?" You don't have to like Obama, and the answer may make some fret, but the answer is obvious.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    However, at the end Obama's first year unemployment was at 9.9%, by the end of his presidency, it was at 4.8%. Trump's presidency, so far, has brought it down from 4.5 to 4.1. There is no possible way that Trump could match that change. He has to keep it pretty much static. The lowest unemployment rate we've ever had, in modern times, was 2.9% in 1953. And sub 4% for 3 years in the 60s. Trump is going to have his work cut out for him keep the trend around the 4% level.

One of the things that helped Obama on unemployment was the way that figure was calculated. During the last couple of years of his Presidency, some folks were on unemployment so long their benefits ran out. When those benefits ran out, they were no longer tracked and no longer counted toward the unemployment figure.

Now I have no hard evidence to back this up, but I think Trump's unemployment number is much more impressive than Obama's. I drive in dozens of cities throughout Central and Southern Indiana each week. In almost every one, I can see signs outside of businesses saying "Now Hiring", "Open Interviews", "Accepting Applications", "Help Wanted". They're everywhere. Do you recall that under Obama's watch? I don't either. Trump's economy is legit!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One of the things that helped Obama on unemployment was the way that figure was calculated. During the last couple of years of his Presidency, some folks were on unemployment so long their benefits ran out. When those benefits ran out, they were no longer tracked and no longer counted toward the unemployment figure.

Now I have no hard evidence to back this up, but I think Trump's unemployment number is much more impressive than Obama's. I drive in dozens of cities throughout Central and Southern Indiana each week. In almost every one, I can see signs outside of businesses saying "Now Hiring", "Open Interviews", "Accepting Applications", "Help Wanted". They're everywhere. Do you recall that under Obama's watch? I don't either. Trump's economy is legit!

Aren't these figures still calculated the same way? If they're not, point made. If they are, then Trump is also benefiting from same "cooked books" as Obama.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Aren't these figures still calculated the same way? If they're not, point made. If they are, then Trump is also benefiting from same "cooked books" as Obama.

Yes, but my take is Trump's number is truer than Obama's. There are more people working under President Trump and fewer sitting on their asses having expired benefits like Obama had at the end of his term.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It might just be me, but it seems the president shouldn't be able to change the Constitution on a whim. A president even making such a suggestion is proof enough as why he'll never be considered in the "top 10."

i admit I did not know it was an amendment. Idiotic amendment then

it’s unclear to me what is the amendment vs law

Top Bottom