• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Reality in Soviet news was 100% binary, with all people either heroes or villains, and the villains all in league with one another (an SR was no better than a fascist or a “Right-Trotskyite Bandit,” a kind of proto-horseshoe theory). Other ideas were not represented, except to be attacked and deconstructed. Also, since anything good was all good, politicians were not described as people at all but paragons of limitless virtue — 95% of most issues of Pravda or Izvestia were just names of party leaders surrounded by lists of applause-words, like “glittering,” “full-hearted,” “wise,” “mighty,” “courageous,” “in complete moral-political union with the people,” etc.

Some of the headlines in the U.S. press lately sound suspiciously like this kind of work:

— Biden stimulus showers money on Americans, sharply cutting poverty

— Champion of the middle class comes to the aid of the poor

— Biden's historic victory for America

The most Soviet of the recent efforts didn’t have a classically Soviet headline. “Comedians are struggling to parody Biden. Let’s hope this doesn’t last,” read the Washington Post opinion piece by Richard Zoglin, arguing that Biden is the first president in generations who might be “impervious to impressionists.” Zoglin contended Biden is “impregnable” to parody, his voice being too “devoid of obvious quirks,” his manner too “muted and self-effacing” to offer comedians much to work with.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Like Harry Truman said about the press covering the White House, "prostitutes of the mind".

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    “There is no such thing, at this date of the world’s history, as an independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job.
    If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to vilify; to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell the country for his daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting an independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes. “

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting comparison.

Today, though, social media is a FAR more connective than samizdat.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like Harry Truman said about the press covering the White House, "prostitutes of the mind".
    How can any of you read this and believe ANYTHING in the media?

I am officially designating the MSM/social media "deep state media" DSM...

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The most Soviet of the recent efforts didn’t have a classically Soviet headline. “Comedians are struggling to parody Biden. Let’s hope this doesn’t last,” read the Washington Post opinion piece by Richard Zoglin, arguing that Biden is the first president in generations who might be “impervious to impressionists.” Zoglin contended Biden is “impregnable” to parody, his voice being too “devoid of obvious quirks,” his manner too “muted and self-effacing” to offer comedians much to work with.

Holy crap that's out of touch with reality and out of whack... bidet is a walking lecherous gaffe machine.
    SNL had him pegged before he was chosen by the establishment to be the front runner.
    The ONLY reason they won't have something to work with is that they don't want to find it and display it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wow, I didn't expect you to actually agree with me and make my point. :cool:

EDIT: I wonder if Josef Stalin and Karl Marx got fined for spreading lies, would the Soviet Union have happened? :dunno:

"spreading lies"

Because the same government that want's to restrict speech they don't agree with never lies.

BTW welcome to planet earth. First day?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "spreading lies"

Because the same government that want's to restrict speech they don't agree with never lies.

BTW welcome to planet earth. First day?
    No, been here long enough to see things as they really are and to study history - not just the parts that line up with my ideology.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Wow, I didn't expect you to actually agree with me and make my point. :cool:

EDIT: I wonder if Josef Stalin and Karl Marx got fined for spreading lies, would the Soviet Union have happened? :dunno:
    If the Okhrana could have shot Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin “while trying to escape”, the Soviet Union would not have happened.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If the Okhrana could have shot Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin “while trying to escape”, the Soviet Union would not have happened.
    If Adams, Jefferson and Hamilton had been hanged for treason, then the US would not have happened. Or maybe it would've, but it just would've been different.

If Hitler had died from the mustard gas....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The entire article is really good. Makes sense with what we have been seeing for the past five years.
    And so many discussions here are underpinned by DSM reporting and those that believe it is truth. They want to use DSM reporting to refute alternative sources.

How dumb is one that when media sources tell you they will not fairly cover an event you still believe their reporting on that event and quote it to refute narratives you don't like?

Top Bottom