• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    NAS = Network Attached Storage. Translation: Lots of networked harddrives acting as one.

SAN = Storage Area Network. Translation: Storage server with lots of harddrives acting as one with redundancy.
    Ah; that is what this is it is a Seagate black armor with 4 drive in it. setup in Raid 5.

After a little trouble shooting I figured out that one of the hard drives has gone bad. looks like t trip to best buy or frye's is in order over lunch.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ah; that is what this is it is a Seagate black armor with 4 drive in it. setup in Raid 5.

After a little trouble shooting I figured out that one of the hard drives has gone bad. looks like t trip to best buy or frye's is in order over lunch.

Will it support more drives? The advantage of RAID 5 is if you have a backup drive or two in the array when one drive fails, it rebuilds the data on the spares. Then you replace the bad drive and designate it as a spare.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Will it support more drives? The advantage of RAID 5 is if you have a backup drive or two in the array when one drive fails, it rebuilds the data on the spares. Then you replace the bad drive and designate it as a spare.
    it has 4 hard drives in it now. (well 3 since I removed the bad one.) I will replace it over lunch and rebuild the drive this afternoon. Just took time to figure out what was wrong with it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    it has 4 hard drives in it now. (well 3 since I removed the bad one.) I will replace it over lunch and rebuild the drive this afternoon. Just took time to figure out what was wrong with it.

I didn't know if you could have 2 spares, then you wouldn't have to wait to get one. That's why I was asking.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    for some reason the control software locked up the device. So I had to watch it boot. then when it hung on the same hard drive check, I removed it and rebooted the system with no problems.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I didn't know if you could have 2 spares, then you wouldn't have to wait to get one. That's why I was asking.
    :dunno:

to be honest I let the setup/install wizard do most of the setup I will look at the settings and see. what options it has.

I do know that right now I have all the data on the drive and it is accessible. so nothing is lost.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    achy/akey (ok how do you spell that? I'm too lazy to look it up) as always. no better no worse,:(

I've begun to realize that this may effect my shooting and it's starting to worry me. :nailbite: I got things to shoot and places to go shoot. :):
    achy

I sure hope it doesn't but you are right, it most certainly can. I hope it doesn't though

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It looks like with 4 drives I am raid 5 is my best option with 1 disk acting as a spare. I would need a different device that can hold 5 hard drives to go to a raid 6 setup that would let my have two spares. :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom