• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Chevy Bose system, it works today:dunno:, maybe a short or I had it cranked for a half hour and it overheated:dunno:

Yeah I'd bet on the overheat. The amplifiers in that system is likely a class A amplifier and they are more sensitive to getting hot. If it were a class D like the JBL I've got, it'd take a beating of heat hot enough to fry an egg on before it'd shut off. Ask me how I know ;) I've overheated many class A's in my time. But only one time did I ever overheat my class D. Back in the day, was cruising in New Castle, playing the hardest hitting song I had in my CDs. It was a hot night, didn't have AC on, had windows down instead, and traffic was so slow you were at the same light for two cycles. Amp was mounted on the seat behind the sub box. So it got very little airflow if any and with the heavy power load I put it through it overheated. Other than that one time I never had a prob out of any class D amp. Class A amplifiers get hot alot easier cause of the different circuitry in them. If you have any probs just ask and I can probably help you figure it out.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah I'd bet on the overheat. The amplifiers in that system is likely a class A amplifier and they are more sensitive to getting hot. If it were a class D like the JBL I've got, it'd take a beating of heat hot enough to fry an egg on before it'd shut off. Ask me how I know ;) I've overheated many class A's in my time. But only one time did I ever overheat my class D. Back in the day, was cruising in New Castle, playing the hardest hitting song I had in my CDs. It was a hot night, didn't have AC on, had windows down instead, and traffic was so slow you were at the same light for two cycles. Amp was mounted on the seat behind the sub box. So it got very little airflow if any and with the heavy power load I put it through it overheated. Other than that one time I never had a prob out of any class D amp. Class A amplifiers get hot alot easier cause of the different circuitry in them. If you have any probs just ask and I can probably help you figure it out.

Can I replace it easily, I think I have a couple Precision Power amp in the garage :dunno:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Probably... And those kick the crap out of most others.

Are they the Art Series? like an A404 or something?

I can't remember, my wife thinks she sold them at a garage sale:dunno:

One was a 100 watt 4 channel and the other once ran 7 speakers in my Prelude, 1/2 ohm :rockwoot:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I can't remember, my wife thinks she sold them at a garage sale:dunno:

One was a 100 watt 4 channel and the other once ran 7 speakers in my Prelude, 1/2 ohm :rockwoot:

I would guess the 100 watt 4 channel was an A404 and that might be the best Amp ever made.

If I remember right, you could bridge them and run it at 1/2 ohm with a retarded amount of power. Like upwards of 800 watts or something silly.

That's a shame if it was sold, those are still some of the nicest.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I would guess the 100 watt 4 channel was an A404 and that might be the best Amp ever made.

If I remember right, you could bridge them and run it at 1/2 ohm with a retarded amount of power. Like upwards of 800 watts or something silly.

That's a shame if it was sold, those are still some of the nicest.

They had sat for at least 10 years, can blame her for selling them, just took an Alpine out of my FIL bug, maybe that will work:dunno:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Can I replace it easily, I think I have a couple Precision Power amp in the garage :dunno:

It wouldn't be too hard if you could get the wiring diagram for the system. In fact if given some time I could probably figure out what the wires are and get it ready to hook up. The only hard part would be the inputs going into the amp. Normally most aftermarket setups use RCA's, but factory ones don't.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    It wouldn't be too hard if you could get the wiring diagram for the system. In fact if given some time I could probably figure out what the wires are and get it ready to hook up. The only hard part would be the inputs going into the amp. Normally most aftermarket setups use RCA's, but factory ones don't.

If I can find the amp I'm sure I could figure the wires out, I did install car stereos for a few years, my prelude even made the magazine Car Audio but no caption:xmad:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    They had sat for at least 10 years, can blame her for selling them, just took an Alpine out of my FIL bug, maybe that will work:dunno:

Well, the Art series are worth some bucks, so hopefully she didn't give them away. but if they were just sitting, yeah can't blame her.

If it's an old style Precision Power the wiring diagram is actually part of the finish on the amp. They look pretty cool. And by Diagram, I mean the actual Schematic. You should look one up if you've never seen one.

And there are after market components that take speaker inputs to RCA out. Makes it perfect for replacing factory amps. If you ever have to do it, look around for them.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The last time it quit the dash unit didn't work, had a bad fuse I found out later, maybe I can put a small fan near the unit, or quit playing loud music for a long time

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Well, the Art series are worth some bucks, so hopefully she didn't give them away. but if they were just sitting, yeah can't blame her.

If it's an old style Precision Power the wiring diagram is actually part of the finish on the amp. They look pretty cool.

And there are after market components that take speaker inputs to RCA out. Makes it perfect for replacing factory amps. If you ever have to do it, look around for them.

Yeah I know of those units, and actually have one or two on hand that I'm not using if he would need one. They just aren't the best sound quality. What would be better is if the amp would happen to have speaker level inputs. Then you should be able to use the input wires for the orig system without much problem.

And the wiring diagram I meant was the one for teh factory system.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom