Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I’m waiting on two cans right now, a Deadair Sandman L, and an Allen Engineering, AEM5.

Deadair makes some really nice cans!
    So when someone says that rifles are still so loud, it is really not worth trying to suppress?
    Or you really need a 9mm suppressor vs. .45 on a 9mm? No you don't...
    since you need subsonic ammo, it makes more sense to have the pistol host be a .45 to begin with?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    So when someone says that rifles are still so loud, it is really not worth trying to suppress?
    since you need subsonic ammo, it makes more sense to have the pistol host be a .45 to begin with?
    Here is my take.
    some people think suppressors are supposed to be Hollywood quiet. They won’t be happy, unless they stick to rimfire. My hearing sucks, and I wish I had cans on everything 30 years ago. Rifles are still loud, because the bullet is nearly 3 times the speed of sound, but I rarely shoot without one. Both on the cans I’m waiting on are rifle caliber. One .30 on 5.56. I don’t own a rimfire can, .22 is pretty quiet to start with.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You still have the "crack" but for rounds that you can shoot subsonic loads, they're very quiet. My 9mm carbine and my 300 blackout are silly quiet. You can't really get a subsonic load for an AR in 5.56 because they won't cycle the gun. It's still loud but it's a lot quieter.

it is really quiet on rimfire too. Forgot to mention that one :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Here is my take.
    some people think suppressors are supposed to be Hollywood quiet. They won’t be happy, unless they stick to rimfire. My hearing sucks, and I wish I had cans on everything 30 years ago. Rifles are still loud, because the bullet is nearly 3 times the speed of sound, but I rarely shoot without one. Both on the cans I’m waiting on are rifle caliber. One .30 on 5.56. I don’t own a rimfire can, .22 is pretty quiet to start with.

You still have the "crack" but for rounds that you can shoot subsonic loads, they're very quiet. My 9mm carbine and my 300 blackout are silly quiet. You can't really get a subsonic load for an AR in 5.56 because they won't cycle the gun. It's still loud but it's a lot quieter.

it is really quiet on rimfire too. Forgot to mention that one :):
    How about the issue of you don't lose much by using a .45 can on a 9mm, or a .308 can on a 5.56?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    How about the issue of you don't lose much by using a .45 can on a 9mm, or a .308 can on a 5.56?
    My 30 cal can is quieter on my 5.56 than my 5.56 can. But also, some companies like Silencer Co, make different end caps that help. So if you got their 30 cal can, you can put a 5.56 end cap on it which helps. But if I did it all over again, I wouldn't have a 5.56 can, just 30 cal cans.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My 30 cal can is quieter on my 5.56 than my 5.56 can. But also, some companies like Silencer Co, make different end caps that help. So if you got their 30 cal can, you can put a 5.56 end cap on it which helps. But if I did it all over again, I wouldn't have a 5.56 can, just 30 cal cans.
    and on pistols?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom