• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Option 2 is take a gamble on a used 350 Poncho, those are everywhere and cheap. No one wants to build them.

Even though I may bust your chops now & then, I have a serious question. Why is it that no one wants to build the Poncho engines? There has to be a reason, kinda like why people hate on Ford being a bit more expensive to build??

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Option 2 is take a gamble on a used 350 Poncho, those are everywhere and cheap. No one wants to build them.

Even though I may bust your chops now & then, I have a serious question. Why is it that no one wants to build the Poncho engines? There has to be a reason, kinda like why people hate on Ford being a bit more expensive to build??
    They are a pretty poorly designed engine. Heads are the biggest downside. They don't like high RPM. Low end torque, no top end. They used to be expensive to build, but technology has brought costs down. They are just a completely different animal and it's just easier to build a BBC instead. I have seen the potential in the Poncho engines, quite impressive. Same as I have seen the potential in an FE Ford, stock they aren't anything special. Build them up right and they will hang with anything. The 350 Poncho is the small engine, same external dimensions as any Pontiac v8 block from 1955-1981, but bore and stroke is different. So basically it costs about the same to build a 350/400/455...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    you have no idea how close I came to owning a 2 door post 57 210.
    It did not need much more than the 64 actually. 3 peddle car. Almost went there.
    This happens to be a 57 2 door post 210. "Needs paint"

57CHEVY.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Like FE Fords the Poncho's will not make the revs and live. I have some Blue oval fanatics I count as friends. They know the limits of the FE's. Finding the right block and aftermarket heads are the key here.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Right on, I guess I never realized that the Poncho's were that different from a sbc. I knew they had some different heads but figured they were very similar. I remember some of their Cup series stuff from many moons ago but never understood why they are considered so bastardized

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Right on, I guess I never realized that the Poncho's were that different from a sbc. I knew they had some different heads but figured they were very similar. I remember some of their Cup series stuff from many moons ago but never understood why they are considered so bastardized
    Oh yeah. Totally different. Chevy, Pontiac, olds, Buick engines are way different.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok. After an hour long chat this morning, I have chosen a path. This is the final one. I'm done thinking about which way to go. This in the end is the smartest decision money wise. My mind has jumped all over the place on the direction I should go, even briefly considering an LS swap....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. After an hour long chat this morning, I have chosen a path. This is the final one. I'm done thinking about which way to go. This in the end is the smartest decision money wise. My mind has jumped all over the place on the direction I should go, even briefly considering an LS swap....

So???? :dunno: small block Ford?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom