Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Now you done went and done it Thunder is going to be along to set you straight.

Well I might as well get him mad at me too.

CF96C3C9-B1B0-4BD9-85C0-460CD5BBA77A_zpslrzpubn9.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

30b12d5d575351f1af8f3ddeb4a05b4f.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I passed on a '70 Cutlass S with the formal roof (the one I prefer because they have nice hips) at the same auction we got the lemans at. It sold before the lemans for $1350, it was a farm auction and nobody was there for the cars... I could have bought it, but we were there for the lemans and didn't know what kinda money it was gonna bring since it was a three pedal car. Dad payed $1650 for the lemans. The guy who bought the Cutlass put an alternator on it and was driving it. I see that car all the time and we always try to stop and chat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had the same year car

350 rocket engine with Muncie four speed

I dont like the wing and he is asking too much money for this one though.
    I was looking at a couple rag top cars for my wife for close to the same money.

I like those cars. As stated I owned a 70 W-30. It came with the wing. That was the 1st thing I changed. Wrecks Inc. on 65 north. I bought a trunk off of a standard cutlass same color (Dark Jade) and put the white strips on it. A friend had to have the trunk with the wing. Sold it. Win win.

That car is rough. Needs everything. $4K would be a stretch.

Edit....I just looked and it says 38K on the clock..Even money it is 138K

Still a solid platform to start with but not $9500 solid.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Classing up the joint.

Did the CLT today..... Not what I was hoping. I was hoping to discover a headgasket leak, however we did not find one with the test.... Did confirm what we already knew which is lots of leakage past the rings. Coolant still getting in the crankcase somewhere. Exploring the option of a full rebuild on the 350 right now, double the cost of what I wanted to spend on this project, but still less than half of building the 400...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Classing up the joint.

Did the CLT today..... Not what I was hoping. I was hoping to discover a headgasket leak, however we did not find one with the test.... Did confirm what we already knew which is lots of leakage past the rings. Coolant still getting in the crankcase somewhere. Exploring the option of a full rebuild on the 350 right now, double the cost of what I wanted to spend on this project, but still less than half of building the 400...

That really sucks. What about just getting a scrap yard sbc and run in it until you can afford to build the 400? Instead of rebuilding an engine you don't want to spend more on than you want to

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That really sucks. What about just getting a scrap yard sbc and run in it until you can afford to build the 400? Instead of rebuilding an engine you don't want to spend more on than you want to
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the words you're typing. :):

One thing I've had in mind, the 350 is original to the car. Now the car has almost zero collector value so it doesn't really matter. It's also never leaving my possession while I'm above ground. So if I rebuild the 350 and run it for awhile, then build the 400, the 350 can come out and I'll know it's in good shape rather than just having an engine sitting around that I know needs rebuilt.

Option 2 is take a gamble on a used 350 Poncho, those are everywhere and cheap. No one wants to build them.

There are more options, I need to explore all of them. I am tired of thinking about this though and just want to pick a path and start down it...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Classing up the joint.

Manifold gasket failing. Can not remember if coolant crosses in the intake on the Poncho.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the words you're typing. :):

One thing I've had in mind, the 350 is original to the car. Now the car has almost zero collector value so it doesn't really matter. It's also never leaving my possession while I'm above ground. So if I rebuild the 350 and run it for awhile, then build the 400, the 350 can come out and I'll know it's in good shape rather than just having an engine sitting around that I know needs rebuilt.

Option 2 is take a gamble on a used 350 Poncho, those are everywhere and cheap. No one wants to build them.

There are more options, I need to explore all of them. I am tired of thinking about this though and just want to pick a path and start down it...

Any used 350 you buy will be in the same or worse shape than what you have.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom