• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was talking headers with a co-worker just yesterday. BITD I always bought Blackjacks. I put many a set on various Mustangs and other than hooking up the collector to the exhaust you could do this job completely from the top without even loosening the motor mounts. About the 5th set I purchased Blackjack had been bought by Hedman, Cyclone or one of the other companies out there and they stopped using their patterns and started using their new masters patterns. Sadly they never fit right after that again.

I'd like to install a set of full length headers on the Gal but Hookers are about the only choice that even sounds close and the reviews on them are on the low side of mixed. so I guess I'll just stick with the poorly fitting shorties on it now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was talking headers with a co-worker just yesterday. BITD I always bought Blackjacks. I put many a set on various Mustangs and other than hooking up the collector to the exhaust you could do this job completely from the top without even loosening the motor mounts. About the 5th set I purchased Blackjack had been bought by Hedman, Cyclone or one of the other companies out there and they stopped using their patterns and started using their new masters patterns. Sadly they never fit right after that again.

I'd like to install a set of full length headers on the Gal but Hookers are about the only choice that even sounds close and the reviews on them are on the low side of mixed. so I guess I'll just stick with the poorly fitting shorties on it now.
    When I was looking at headers for this car Hooker was my 1st choice from years of happy use by me. I put a set in my 69 Camaro as the other manf had an issue on the drivers side with the rear steer box on the big block. The hookers even allowed me to drop the engine 1" in the chassis.
    But for the 64 "X" frame Hooker had none in stock and even back then would be 6 months out on a set. Had i know the car would languish for a few years I would have opted for the hookers.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've had good luck with Doug's Headers and Hookers. I used hedman one time and I had to flatten the mounting flange on a surface grinder at work because it was so uneven. Never even thought about buying another set of theirs again.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Check out Doug's Headers, I've had good luck with them. They aren't going to be as cheap as hedman though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had good luck with Doug's Headers and Hookers. I used hedman one time and I had to flatten the mounting flange on a surface grinder at work because it was so uneven. Never even thought about buying another set of theirs again.
    Truth is these are well made and fit up very well they just dont clear for the angle plug SB heads.
    I just got done with a pretty long and a bit nasty E-mail to those people. Wont change anything but I am already working on a fix.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    MSD makes a short plug for this purpose. quarter inch aint much but its a start.
    Dimple the header and apply the heat wrap.
    Should take care of the issue.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Check out Doug's Headers, I've had good luck with them. They aren't going to be as cheap as hedman though.
    No listing for Galaxie. Unfortunately I haven't bought a cheap set of headers in years. The Shorties I put on the Gal were over $500 of course they're coated with super megatron or some other miracle coating. To be fair they do still look pretty good though. The racecar headers were about 8 bills uncoated and without the exhaust flange installed, for better clocking they said.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Earls local has some decent heat shielding we used on the race cars. Good thinking...:)
    Only reason I went with those is because they are reusable. Won't have to rewrap plug wires during replacement. Putting them on over the boots was kinda sucky but not terrible

Edit: I may actually have a black set of them in the garage if you want them. I can look today and see.

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Wife is test driving new family haulers. I knew that her Juke was small, but stepping out of the Explorer we test drove and back into the Juke.... oh my. I didn't realize how bad it was.
    Also, #$*! fake car noises.
    That being said, the V6 turbo Explorer Sport is pretty freaking rad. Updates to come....

Driveshaft is back in the Mustang. Still has a vibration above 60. I'd say above 70, honestly, but haven't had a ton of time to diagnose. It is FAR better than it was and I actually feel that I could drive it at 75+ if I wanted now. Going to have a buddy check it out and see if it's going to be fine for a track day or if I should spend more time figuring out what is going on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife is test driving new family haulers. I knew that her Juke was small, but stepping out of the Explorer we test drove and back into the Juke.... oh my. I didn't realize how bad it was.
    Also, #$*! fake car noises.
    That being said, the V6 turbo Explorer Sport is pretty freaking rad. Updates to come....

Driveshaft is back in the Mustang. Still has a vibration above 60. I'd say above 70, honestly, but haven't had a ton of time to diagnose. It is FAR better than it was and I actually feel that I could drive it at 75+ if I wanted now. Going to have a buddy check it out and see if it's going to be fine for a track day or if I should spend more time figuring out what is going on.
    Did you rebuild that rear end...????

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have a resolution to the header to plug clearance issue.
    Hedman sells raw header flanges. They match my headers. With the 3/8” thickness added to the existing flange and the shorter (1/4”) special plugs I will heat wrap the header tubes and add heat sleeves as required.
    bingo.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Did you rebuild that rear end...????
    That I did. New pinion and diff bearings. The gears didn't look that great, IMO, but the pattern looked OK. There was some small chipping on the outside of a few teeth. Y'all said run it so I ran it lmao.
    Kinda wondering if I need new gears.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That I did. New pinion and diff bearings. The gears didn't look that great, IMO, but the pattern looked OK. There was some small chipping on the outside of a few teeth. Y'all said run it so I ran it lmao.
    Kinda wondering if I need new gears.
    As long as the contact was centered then I wouldn't be to concerned with the gears that you posted awhile back, they weren't that bad.

What ever happened with the driveshaft?
    And what preload did you end up with on the pinion?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    As long as the contact was centered then I wouldn't be to concerned with the gears that you posted awhile back, they weren't that bad.

What ever happened with the driveshaft?
    And what preload did you end up with on the pinion?
    Driveshaft was rebuilt and rebalanced. The balancer on the transmission end of the shaft was removed when they balanced it.

Pinion preload was right at 25 inch pounds, which is what it's supposed to be for a new bearing (according to the internet)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Only reason I went with those is because they are reusable. Won't have to rewrap plug wires during replacement. Putting them on over the boots was kinda sucky but not terrible

Edit: I may actually have a black set of them in the garage if you want them. I can look today and see.
    That would be stellar...:)

Top Bottom