• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That Cummins has a lot of weight to transfer and it looks like the truck is doing it well. After that, it just has a lot of weight. A 6BT is 1100lbs (dry... I think). God knows what the transmission in it is or what it weighs.

To paraphrase a Jay Leno joke... It's like a fat lady square dancing. The fact that it does it at all is amazing, but doing it well? Wow...
    Exactly. Not clear on his 1/4 mile time but it is slow compared to his 1/8 times. If that engine/trans weighs as you say look at the truck. Its on top of the shocks all the way down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you do the fast math on 1/8 conversion to the quarter mile he should have been low 9's. Take you 1/8 mile times and X's 1.53 or some such thing. Our cars when geared appropriately stayed pretty close to this.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you do the fast math on 1/8 conversion to the quarter mile he should have been low 9's. Take you 1/8 mile times and X's 1.53 or some such thing. Our cars when geared appropriately stayed pretty close to this.

When he gave his 1/8th vs. 1/4 I didn't take it as numbers off of the same setup. Even on different gears, with a sub-3000 rpm red line he may be really pulling the power out of it out the back door just praying to keep the guts in it vs. his tuneup for a 1/8th run.

I have now pretty much exhausted my entire assumed knowledge base of diesel drag racing. :)

ETA: I think at some point he was talking about running in the 7.0 index in that video too. That would more closely align with the slide rule for the 10s, but I don't think we saw any 1/8th passes. The conversation was sorta all over the place.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When he gave his 1/8th vs. 1/4 I didn't take it as numbers off of the same setup. Even on different gears, with a sub-3000 rpm red line he may be really pulling the power out of it out the back door just praying to keep the guts in it vs. his tuneup for a 1/8th run.

I have now pretty much exhausted my entire assumed knowledge base of diesel drag racing. :)

ETA: I think at some point he was talking about running in the 7.0 index in that video too. That would more closely align with the slide rule for the 10s, but I don't think we saw any 1/8th passes. The conversation was sorta all over the place.
    It was. But there are always variables.
    Always.

I am still very impressed with that truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think he said his best 1/8 was 6.01, sounds like he normally runs 6.5-7ish from his class
    We slowed our cars to run different classes depending on the race. I carried weight in the trailer for the Camaro. It strapped in to where if you pulled the license plate down as if to put fuel in it the weight was strapped to the frame in behind the valence. The way we had it set up you could add over 300lbs.
    Stripped and lean it was 2850 curb wet. Thats with both battery's in the trunk and a full fuel cell. We could put it over 3000lbs, change the droop on the front "A" arms adjust the launch RPM/shift points and take a tad bit of timing and run the 10.0 class at the good guys with just a little bit of peddling at 1200 feet...:):
    Took about 45 minutes.
    Took a couple of hours to put it back into Mach 1 tune for the 1/8 mile.

Top Bottom