• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thought some of you folks might be interested in this...

The EPA Wants to Ban “Race Cars”​

"The RPM Act reverses the EPA’s interpretation that the Clean Air Act does not allow a motor vehicle designed for street use—including a car, truck, or motorcycle—to be converted into a dedicated racecar. This American tradition was unquestioned for nearly 50 years until 2015 when the EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways. Although the EPA did not finalize the proposed rule, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal. Manufacturing, selling and installing race parts for the converted vehicle would also be a violation. The EPA has also announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority."

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I need to actually read through the EPA proposal and SEMA's organized effort against it. I've heard a lot of talk about "racecars", but my bigger concern is the clamp down on the street stuff. For instance, where in the hell are you ever going to find factory emissions controls for a 1987 Cutlass Sierra, and even if you could, how many are left out there for it to matter?

It's always been federally illegal to remove those controls, but at the same time the OEs discontinued support for them decades ago. Catch 22.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Just threw in the towel one the 1st mount plate I made for the steering box up-grade.
    Made a new one. .500 thick 6061 T-6 Aircraft ally plate. New piece is a jewel. Should be after all the practice on the 1st one.

Box is mounted.
    Tomorrow we (terrorists and I) clean up the huge mess and make ready for the next phase.
    Sweet! I've thrown away a few "prototypes" over the years. Of course I didn't realize they were prototypes until I'd flung them across the shop accompanied by a few choice "working on the car" words. :lmfao:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sweet! I've thrown away a few "prototypes" over the years. Of course I didn't realize they were prototypes until I'd flung them across the shop accompanied by a few choice "working on the car" words. :lmfao:
    When we attempt to install the improbable next to the impossible to do the unexpected we run across these hurdles. How we clear them is the thing.

You know.....the thing.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    When we attempt to install the improbable next to the impossible to do the unexpected we run across these hurdles. How we clear them is the thing.

You know.....the thing.

Stuff like that is why I love 3D printing. I can spend a few minutes designing the part, let the robot take however long it wants to make a prototype while I do other things, and if the prototype is good I can proceed to the final part. If it's not good, revise it and I'm out a dollar or two of materials.

I confess I don't do a ton of that at home these days, but doing it professional has been a massive game changer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stuff like that is why I love 3D printing. I can spend a few minutes designing the part, let the robot take however long it wants to make a prototype while I do other things, and if the prototype is good I can proceed to the final part. If it's not good, revise it and I'm out a dollar or two of materials.

I confess I don't do a ton of that at home these days, but doing it professional has been a massive game changer.
    In this new age what ever works for you is the thing. I have zero desire to learn anything outside my wheelhouse these days. I can still turn out some pretty cool stuff when my mind in in the game.
    Getting my mind back in the game has been the thing. A few of the mistakes I have made were just dumb. And totally on me. Woke me up.
    The fun begins when I put some heat in the welder that has not moved from its spot in 8+ years. I sold the good welder when we closed the big shop last year. A very nice Lincoln sine wave unit. It wwas stellar.

The one I kept is a converted Mig unit that will still mig but runs trough a miller High Frequency side box and does a fair job if you know how to use it. The learning curve will commence when I start making drag link pieces this weekend.....:):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    In this new age what ever works for you is the thing. I have zero desire to learn anything outside my wheelhouse these days. I can still turn out some pretty cool stuff when my mind in in the game.
    Getting my mind back in the game has been the thing. A few of the mistakes I have made were just dumb. And totally on me. Woke me up.
    The fun begins when I put some heat in the welder that has not moved from its spot in 8+ years. I sold the good welder when we closed the big shop last year. A very nice Lincoln sine wave unit. It wwas stellar.

The one I kept is a converted Mig unit that will still mig but runs trough a miller High Frequency side box and does a fair job if you know how to use it. The learning curve will commence when I start making drag link pieces this weekend.....:):

I was more shooting the bull than suggesting you take up a 3D printing hobby. :)

When I get 3D scanning up and going is when things will get fun. Doing full suspension motion studies, printing different A-arms, etc, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was more shooting the bull than suggesting you take up a 3D printing hobby. :)

When I get 3D scanning up and going is when things will get fun. Doing full suspension motion studies, printing different A-arms, etc, etc.
    If I were younger and had the energy and interest this technology would be most interesting I am sure.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Heads, pushrods and rockers loose fit, enough for today. The heads are D00E and have had extensive porting done to them. Both port matched and blended in nicely, I believe the valves are oversized but didn't measure them and don't remember what the machine shop that originally built the engine told me. And cut me some slack on the Fram filter, I got a deal on a case of them and they're just fine for start up purposes.

Convertible engine rebuild 1.jpg

NO, the heads AREN'T Chevy orange, it's red zinc primer!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So... What is the preferred SBF rocker setup these days? That's one area I haven't put much thought into.
    Sorry, can't help you. I'm fairly certain that the standard ratio used is 1.6 although I've heard you can use 1.72 on the exhaust to help the flow for which, at least in the past, Ford was notoriously deficient. This is actually an engine I picked up in a package deal several years ago that "supposedly" made 415 crank hp. I'm just freshening it up and also toned down the cam a little to live in front of an automatic transmission.

I don't have any idea what brand the rockers are but they are labeled 1.6. The forged pistons were in good shape as was the block so they just rehoned the cylinders, and re-ringed and bearing'ed the shortblock. Woody's did it for me and based on word of mouth and the really cool stuff they had in their shop I have faith that they know what they're doing.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Sorry, can't help you. I'm fairly certain that the standard ratio used is 1.6 although I've heard you can use 1.72 on the exhaust to help the flow for which, at least in the past, Ford was notoriously deficient. This is actually an engine I picked up in a package deal several years ago that "supposedly" made 415 crank hp. I'm just freshening it up and also toned down the cam a little to live in front of an automatic transmission.

I don't have any idea what brand the rockers are but they are labeled 1.6. The forged pistons were in good shape as was the block so they just rehoned the cylinders, and re-ringed and bearing'ed the shortblock. Woody's did it for me and based on word of mouth and the really cool stuff they had in their shop I have faith that they know what they're doing.

Thanks for nuttin'! ;)

But... I zoomed in on the pic just to eyeball and noticed this:

1617235925217.png

Gotta think that gasket is wrong? That's some serious port mis-match.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks for nuttin'! ;)

But... I zoomed in on the pic just to eyeball and noticed this:

View attachment 133407

Gotta think that gasket is wrong? That's some serious port mis-match

That's just the water jacket, never seen a porting job where they matched them. Of course the gaskets ARE for '89 vintage heads and I'm using '70 vintage but I will be sealing all the way around the water passages when I bolt the intake on.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's just the water jacket, never seen a porting job where they matched them. Of course the gaskets ARE for '89 vintage heads and I'm using '70 vintage but I will be sealing all the way around the water passages when I bolt the intake on.

I'm losing my mind.

Last manifold job I did was on my I6 without a cross flow head, so I had that stuck on the brain. :facepalm:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heads, pushrods and rockers loose fit, enough for today. The heads are D00E and have had extensive porting done to them. Both port matched and blended in nicely, I believe the valves are oversized but didn't measure them and don't remember what the machine shop that originally built the engine told me. And cut me some slack on the Fram filter, I got a deal on a case of them and they're just fine for start up purposes.

View attachment 133403

NO, the heads AREN'T Chevy orange, it's red zinc primer!
    Never thought it was Chevy Orange there Amigo just wondering where the "Blue" oval blue was.....:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

+10 on Woody's.

Top Bottom