• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I wanna get this vibration sorted in the Mustang so I can feel comfortable on a road course. We put the cage in 2 years ago and then I realized the vibration was so bad I didn't like getting the car over 80mph. No way I could do a road course under 80 lmao

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah, a phone number would be cool . The thing that has me scratching my head is that I can't find a preload spacer anywhere listed or a part number.

I'm thinking it's no harm to put it together like the FSM shows , set the correct preload torque and check the pattern and backlash. At least I would have a baseline to start.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I wanna get this vibration sorted in the Mustang so I can feel comfortable on a road course. We put the cage in 2 years ago and then I realized the vibration was so bad I didn't like getting the car over 80mph. No way I could do a road course under 80 lmao
    I mean.... some of the Sunday cup cars are that slow but they never lift

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was there in 2020 when the driver was ejected through the window of his NC when the factory belt failed. That was wet. Like rivers flowing over the track wet

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So last week was wild. One Lap of America, 3900 miles, 8 days, 7 tracks, 2 skid pads and an autox.
    View attachment 200010
    View attachment 200011
    View attachment 200012
    View attachment 200013
    View attachment 200014
    View attachment 200015

Now for the words..... We were seeded 81st, last in out Sundae Cup class. Finished secnd in class, 65 overall. Had great sessions at Nashville, Hallett and Putnam. Had fun all week and very little sleep. tracks hit: Grissom for Autox, Nashville Superspeedway, Carolina Motorsports Park, Lanier Oval, Barber, Hallett, Heartland Park Topeka and Putnam.

I've left a lot of rubber at Hallett as well as crewing for a GT1 Corvette for several years. Much fun. Our driver bought some SBC powered Lola one year because the corvette wasn't fast enough. Took it straight to the track for a race weekend the minute he got it home. No check ups, fluid changes, NUTHIN'. Right down to the concrete blocks that passed as tires on it.

He took it out for a practice session and came in slinging his helmet across the pits because the "the GD thing is slower than the F'N corvette". Buddy and I find a throttle stop behind the pedal only giving him about 3/8 pedal so we readjust it and send him out for the next practice session. He came in after one lap and said "whatever you did to the car, undo it NOW. I'm not a good enough driver".

We really enjoyed that moment.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I did parade laps at Hallett in '18 when we were there for OL. I loved it. In the wet, parts of it reminded me of Mid-O where it's just ice on line, off line there was some grip but crossing over was butt puckery. When the afternoon session hit and we were in 90% dry, the power my Rio makes over the 2's and Fit really made a difference coming out of 1 up hill and coming through the Bitch. I could late brake the hell outta the bitch, drop to second and just as the front starts to settle and the rear rotated I could power out. I could visiby see myself catching the Fit and pulling away from the 2. One of my favorite tracks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, a phone number would be cool . The thing that has me scratching my head is that I can't find a preload spacer anywhere listed or a part number.

I'm thinking it's no harm to put it together like the FSM shows , set the correct preload torque and check the pattern and backlash. At least I would have a baseline to start.
    As I mentioned already "YOU HAVE TO SET" this so no single spacer will be available outside as rebuild kit for that housing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    As I mentioned already "YOU HAVE TO SET" this so no single spacer will be available outside as rebuild kit for that housing.
    I'm pretty sure he understands he will have to adjust it using shims, but he appears to possibly be missing a part or 2.

The pinion spacer circled in red is not there and possibly the slinger circled in yellow is missing as well.

1652307650436~2.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm pretty sure he understands he will have to adjust it using shims, but he appears to possibly be missing a part or 2.

The pinion spacer circled in red is not there and possibly the slinger circled in yellow is missing as well.

View attachment 200062
    Thats why I mentioned the re-build kits I have always gotten through Jegs/Summit. Complete kits with ample shims to set one up in a proper manner.

I always "Stress" this as I have in the past known at least 2 people that cheeped out and attempted to assemble them with improper shims or just none at all. And yes, failed miserably.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thats why I mentioned the re-build kits I have always gotten through Jegs/Summit. Complete kits with ample shims to set one up in a proper manner.

I always "Stress" this as I have in the past known at least 2 people that cheeped out and attempted to assemble them with improper shims or just none at all. And yes, failed miserably.
    Finding the shims and bearings is no issue, sounds like he is having a hard time finding the spacer. I don't believe that it would come in a rebuild kit, I'm sure it's meant to just be reused.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finding the shims and bearings is no issue, sounds like he is having a hard time finding the spacer. I don't believe that it would come in a rebuild kit, I'm sure it's meant to just be reused.
    I am willing to bet lunch at a decent pub for burgers fries and an adult beverage that it is included. Every kit OI have ever purchased had all the parts needed. Crush sleeves etc for the housing in hand.
    The last 44 I did was one I transplanted into a 1964 Chevy Custom 100 I believe it was called. Nicknamed the beast by my friends. And with good reason. It was a beast.
    The Chevy axles were not up to the task and failed in short order under the strain of the 44" monster Mudders and 500 HP small block. It was pissed off. And I loved it.

The beast in crappy polaroid...:):
    GLFef6c.jpg

t9437gf.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I am willing to bet lunch at a decent pub for burgers fries and an adult beverage that it is included. Every kit OI have ever purchased had all the parts needed. Crush sleeves etc for the housing in hand.
    The last 44 I did was one I transplanted into a 1964 Chevy Custom 100 I believe it was called. Nicknamed the beast by my friends. And with good reason. It was a beast.
    The Chevy axles were not up to the task and failed in short order under the strain of the 44" monster Mudders and 500 HP small block. It was pissed off. And I loved it.

The beast in crappy polaroid...:):
    GLFef6c.jpg

t9437gf.jpg
    I'll take that bet. Mainly since I don't think I'll be in the Indy area and you won't be up here in the far north anytime soon, all though if you're I would definitely meet up for some grub.

If it was a crush sleeve I would agree it would be in the kit, since it needs replaced everytime. Since this spacer is a solid one I would think it would just be a reuse the original equipment thing.

Love the ol Chevy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom