• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wife’s Super Stock is stiff when you jack up the back it lifts the entire side. When you pull into a steep approach at an angle it will lift a rear tire.

I assume my GT 500 is probably stiffer?

CM When you tell a story it’s like I was back in 1971!
    But I would have been TWO so you probably would not let me roll with you back in the day!
    The thing that I find so cool about those times is we had to make everything we used damn near. Innovation and brain storming in the shop at 1:00AM with a buddy solving all the problems of the world and racing in general.
    It was a good time to be alive and active. Especially if your engineering was successful.
    Nowadays you get out a water cooled master card, open up a Summit or a jegs and you are on the way.
    Nothing wrong with that as more people are involved but we are loosing the ability to think

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I know what you mean CM over the past year I have became the resident “carb” guy?

I don’t think I am really good at it but freinds and family think I am.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what you mean CM over the past year I have became the resident “carb” guy?

I don’t think I am really good at it but freinds and family think I am.
    Then you are. Your better than they are so enjoy the status.
    I still marvel at how technology has come light years since the electronic carbs and lean burn engines of the mid 80’s.
    The push for fuel efficiency due to Gov over regulation has given us the street fighters being offered up by the big 3. Amazing performers that can be daily drivers with zero issues. Amazing.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Then you are. Your better than they are so enjoy the status.
    I still marvel at how technology has come light years since the electronic carbs and lean burn engines of the mid 80’s.
    The push for fuel efficiency due to Gov over regulation has given us the street fighters being offered up by the big 3. Amazing performers that can be daily drivers with zero issues. Amazing.

I remember watching a video a while ago about a guy experimenting with his C5 Corvette. Programmed in a lean burn tune on highway driving. Pretty sure he got 40mpg out of it. Really impressive stuff for a performance oriented car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember watching a video a while ago about a guy experimenting with his C5 Corvette. Programmed in a lean burn tune on highway driving. Pretty sure he got 40mpg out of it. Really impressive stuff for a performance oriented car.
    This has put a new breed of enthusiasts to the fore. It’s out of my wheel house but I understand it.
    Honda civic lower rear control arm, ½ inch shorter, strut mount lowered, shperical bearing, strut mount delrin (to take the pounding)....3 pounds lighter then any aftermarket ...... the rod end is swedged to tap size......fwd circle track item....built by me in my shop.....(ok I bought the tube from work).....View attachment 173160
    love it. Well done sir.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Honda civic lower rear control arm, ½ inch shorter, strut mount lowered, shperical bearing, strut mount delrin (to take the pounding)....3 pounds lighter then any aftermarket ...... the rod end is swedged to tap size......fwd circle track item....built by me in my shop.....(ok I bought the tube from work).....View attachment 173160

What generation of Civic is this for? Find a good powdercoat guy and I bet you could make some decent side cash with those if you could get the word out.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    What generation of Civic is this for? Find a good powdercoat guy and I bet you could make some decent side cash with those if you could get the word out.
    I have a local well known powder coat guy, does all my day job powder coat.
    The word will spread, I have the top2 Vores compact touring series guys ready to run my stuff, and I have 2 other top racers running my stuff at Angola & Winchester.
    This should just be the tip of the iceberg

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Well.... my drag car plans may be getting turned around a smidge.
    Found out that Summit hosts a Midwest Autocross Week in July. Since I already have a car setup, it's way more tempting to hit this than Drag Week this year.

Already making a list of what needs to be done to the vert to get it "daily" prepped, along with upgrades I wanna make to get it a little faster/better looking. Planning to make a rear-tire rack, move the rear bars on the cage so a backseat will fit in (this has to happen so I can cart the kid around when the truck gets a new transmission anyway), some steering/suspension changes, get the wiring and battery mount looking more professional, and hoping to cut the front end off and make a tubular front end for it since mine is all tore up. I guess we could also try to take the front end off the Notch and put it on the Vert... save some cash up front... Actually, kind of like that idea. I'll consider it in the coming months lol.

Naturally, I'm considering a turbo for this car now. LOTS has to be considered before I pull the trigger on any parts for it. I can't be driving a car 800+ miles "hoping" it will survive. NA is preferred, but I know that I could really use the extra power of a turbo on course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have recorded and watched all the recent No Prep Kings series. You have to really love the sport to get involved and watch the entire thing. I have to say it was somewhat informative as these guys do tend to give away a few things and me being a sponge I picked up on it.
    Love-em or not those cars are insane. High 3's for God sakes. And "Big" money does not always take the prize.
    If you take a solid look at the wire looms inside these monsters, it is hard to wrap my head around what all the components it must take to tame the beast. I a few cars I was counting 5 pneumatic lines of the shift controllers. 5. Then one of the fast guys said he was losing 5th gear. 5 speed automatics behind 4500+ horsepower.

Nitromethane was mentioned more than once in passing. I am not seeing evidence of this in the exhaust, but we used to put a small mix together in the midget and the sprint car. And yes, it was violent.
    Interesting season. The competition was fierce. Fist fights ensued. New cars showed up and set the pace.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have recorded and watched all the recent No Prep Kings series. You have to really love the sport to get involved and watch the entire thing. I have to say it was somewhat informative as these guys do tend to give away a few things and me being a sponge I picked up on it.
    Love-em or not those cars are insane. High 3's for God sakes. And "Big" money does not always take the prize.
    If you take a solid look at the wire looms inside these monsters, it is hard to wrap my head around what all the components it must take to tame the beast. I a few cars I was counting 5 pneumatic lines of the shift controllers. 5. Then one of the fast guys said he was losing 5th gear. 5 speed automatics behind 4500+ horsepower.

Nitromethane was mentioned more than once in passing. I am not seeing evidence of this in the exhaust, but we used to put a small mix together in the midget and the sprint car. And yes, it was violent.
    Interesting season. The competition was fierce. Fist fights ensued. New cars showed up and set the pace.
    What is yes? Lol
    Yeah there are little bits given away by multiple people and some of it is mind blowing. I have seen several people we have raced with/ against on all the SO's shows over the years. It's amazing how much many of those cars have changed over the last 10yrs. I have seen a few time slips and yes, they are insane fast. These people are running high 3.70s in the ballpark of 210mph in the 1/8th and have sub 1 second 60ft times. All on a track that has been scraped and had absolutely no traction compound applied, not even a drag. If that's not crazy enough, here is a comparison. An NHRA or PDRA Pro Mod or Pro Boost/Pro Nitrous car runs comparable ET's & mph on tracks that are like fly paper where more than a few have walked out of their shoes on the starting line area.
    Obviously various combinations have different stuff but yes there's a lot of parts and pieces being used to control these cars. A few would be...
    Boost controllers, bump boxes, launch controllers, progressive nitrous controllers, timers, air shifters, lock up converters, 4 link suspension with bolt in chassis/housing brackets for almost infinite adjustability, traction control (I would bet all of them have traction controllers), data loggers with sensors to monitor rpm, drive shaft speed, fuel press, pan vac, nos press, shock travel. And that's in addition to many, probably most have fuel injection and ignition boxes that allows for individual cylinder timing where you can add and take away timing throughout the run. The technology these cats are playing with is incredible to say the least.
    Crazy fast just almost doesn't even describe it.
    Having been immersed in the heads up game for several years on a smaller scale, I have a different perspective of what a "fast" car is.
    But these cars are way beyond me.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Putting a Cold Case radiator and dual fans in the GN. The old original wouldn't stand the heat this past summer. Got the old radiator and fan unit out, did some small mods for the new one and it's bolted in place. I've got to do the plumbing and all tomorrow and I'll be ready for summer heat. Still trying to save up enough $$$ for the Wilwood brake kit front and back. Also looking into the Atlas PSP-6000 lift. It's a single post portable lift. Looks like a good option that won't be in my way when I'm not using it. I'm not sure I can swing it and if I can, the brakes will be next winter. If I keep this up, I'm going to have to look into sponsorship. Happy New Year to all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Putting a Cold Case radiator and dual fans in the GN. The old original wouldn't stand the heat this past summer. Got the old radiator and fan unit out, did some small mods for the new one and it's bolted in place. I've got to do the plumbing and all tomorrow and I'll be ready for summer heat. Still trying to save up enough $$$ for the Wilwood brake kit front and back. Also looking into the Atlas PSP-6000 lift. It's a single post portable lift. Looks like a good option that won't be in my way when I'm not using it. I'm not sure I can swing it and if I can, the brakes will be next winter. If I keep this up, I'm going to have to look into sponsorship. Happy New Year to all.
    Love the upgrades. Keep us posted.
    Also glad you caught the wiring issues before you could roast hot dogs on that beautiful car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is yes? Lol
    Yeah there are little bits given away by multiple people and some of it is mind blowing. I have seen several people we have raced with/ against on all the SO's shows over the years. It's amazing how much many of those cars have changed over the last 10yrs. I have seen a few time slips and yes, they are insane fast. These people are running high 3.70s in the ballpark of 210mph in the 1/8th and have sub 1 second 60ft times. All on a track that has been scraped and had absolutely no traction compound applied, not even a drag. If that's not crazy enough, here is a comparison. An NHRA or PDRA Pro Mod or Pro Boost/Pro Nitrous car runs comparable ET's & mph on tracks that are like fly paper where more than a few have walked out of their shoes on the starting line area.
    Obviously various combinations have different stuff but yes there's a lot of parts and pieces being used to control these cars. A few would be...
    Boost controllers, bump boxes, launch controllers, progressive nitrous controllers, timers, air shifters, lock up converters, 4 link suspension with bolt in chassis/housing brackets for almost infinite adjustability, traction control (I would bet all of them have traction controllers), data loggers with sensors to monitor rpm, drive shaft speed, fuel press, pan vac, nos press, shock travel. And that's in addition to many, probably most have fuel injection and ignition boxes that allows for individual cylinder timing where you can add and take away timing throughout the run. The technology these cats are playing with is incredible to say the least.
    Crazy fast just almost doesn't even describe it.
    Having been immersed in the heads up game for several years on a smaller scale, I have a different perspective of what a "fast" car is.
    But these cars are way beyond me.
    I have been looking at the electronics/tech involved with these NP cars. I can see building a decent low end of the spectrum Super Pro bracket car with what those guys are spending on magic boxes and wiring. Ryan Martin is the leader of the pack in that arena. He has won a few races and the points championship multiple times. His new Camaro is just insane. It literally sails straight arrow and seldom misses a beat.

Looks like the new Hemi configuration and also the SMX engines are the big deal these days. $80K no trans.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have been looking at the electronics/tech involved with these NP cars. I can see building a decent low end of the spectrum Super Pro bracket car with what those guys are spending on magic boxes and wiring. Ryan Martin is the leader of the pack in that arena. He has won a few races and the points championship multiple times. His new Camaro is just insane. It literally sails straight arrow and seldom misses a beat.

Looks like the new Hemi configuration and also the SMX engines are the big deal these days. $80K no trans.

Yep. Nearly everybody at that level has an SMX. Amazing machines.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I can't speak for what a low end of the spectrum Super Pro car would cost to build as I just don't have experience with bracket cars (yet). However I can say that a basic traction control system from Davis Technologies is 10k alone. Ryan Martin so far is pretty much the most dominant man in NP. But there's not shortage of fast cars in that deal either. I'm expecting to see Scott Taylor being more of a challenge this year with his new car purpose built for NPK. The hemi has been king for boosted power for a very long time. I can't say that it's the new configuration (as in hellcat style) more so than modern dressed ignition and fuel injection. Many hemi heads now are solid billet offerings. The other very common set up is the 481x but in either case the dominant player for anything running boost is Pro Line by Allen Johnson. Next would be BME for hemi stuff. Then of course Pat Musi for big cubic inch nitrous. I would say yes probably in the 80k range especially for a boosted set up.

Edit- the SMX is Steve Morris's version of the 481x that Pro Line puts out. One of the biggest differences is the way the coolant passages are designed to keep it cool. I'm sure there's some variation in ports and maybe even valve angle etc. Either way it's an all billet design.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom