• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since apparently a squarebody is out of my budget, what you guys think of the S10 like Rusty just bought? I don't really need a truck, but I need some way to occasionally haul stuff to the landfill or pick up a few pieces of lumber or plywood. Could also be handy to throw my kayak and bicycles in the back vs going through the hassles of racking them.

I could also use it as a training platform to see how I do at patching panels(if rusted), and whether I want to take on a larger project in the future. I may or may not do some performance mods to it. Depends on how easy it is to drop a small block in one. :)

I know that it won't have the value of a properly done up squarebody but what is acceptable to me is a unicorn at this point.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Since apparently a squarebody is out of my budget, what you guys think of the S10 like Rusty just bought? I don't really need a truck, but I need some way to occasionally haul stuff to the landfill or pick up a few pieces of lumber or plywood. Could also be handy to throw my kayak and bicycles in the back vs going through the hassles of racking them.

I could also use it as a training platform to see how I do at patching panels(if rusted), and whether I want to take on a larger project in the future. I may or may not do some performance mods to it. Depends on how easy it is to drop a small block in one. :)

I know that it won't have the value of a properly done up squarebody but what is acceptable to me is a unicorn at this point.
    I like them, especially the square body style s10's. They were around for a long time so parts are pretty available. Heck the post office still uses a bunch of them.

I ended up with a mostly rust free Ranger from Florida last winter. Same stories with those. Although the pre 97 4cyl are easier to work on.

Patience is the key.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like them, especially the square body style s10's. They were around for a long time so parts are pretty available. Heck the post office still uses a bunch of them.

I ended up with a mostly rust free Ranger from Florida last winter. Same stories with those. Although the pre 97 4cyl are easier to work on.

Patience is the key.
    I'd also take a Ranger. Patience is hard for me. Well maybe it isn't so much patience but I don't have a lot of time to scour America for a vehicle. I can't spend hours online searching for one every day.

And I'm thinking that they won't drop into my lap.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My wife found this one on FB marketplace. Younger guy moved up from Florida and decided a 2wd truck was not the vehicle to have.

There are a boatload of these little trucks running around, but you will see a lot of turds along the way

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

I really would have rather had a square s10, but I couldn’t find the one and I wasn’t willing to be patient enough. I thought I had one in the bag, but the guy wouldn’t respond back in a timely fashion. That was the biggest thing that drove my purchase, this person wrote back when I had questions before I drove the hour to look at it. That was the other issue for me, with a newborn, wife and a 5 year old at home I didn’t want to drive a long distance to get this done.

My goal is just to have a back and forth to work truck that gets 20+mpg. That’s why I chose the 4 banger. I wanted a 5 speed, but the wife needs to drive it occasionally and I wasn’t gonna fight with her on that. She can drive a stick well, but she doesn’t want to.

I’m going to fix this one up for me. I’ve owned several of these second gens and like them. Prefer the square look and simplicity, but in my life right now I don’t need it. This one is a 2002 and much more modern.

My last was a 96 with 250,000 miles on it. 4.3 was still running strong.

Parts are stupid cheap. Body panels are cheap. Rust patches are cheap. Simple trucks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really would have rather had a square s10, but I couldn’t find the one and I wasn’t willing to be patient enough. I thought I had one in the bag, but the guy wouldn’t respond back in a timely fashion. That was the biggest thing that drove my purchase, this person wrote back when I had questions before I drove the hour to look at it. That was the other issue for me, with a newborn, wife and a 5 year old at home I didn’t want to drive a long distance to get this done.

My goal is just to have a back and forth to work truck that gets 20+mpg. That’s why I chose the 4 banger. I wanted a 5 speed, but the wife needs to drive it occasionally and I wasn’t gonna fight with her on that. She can drive a stick well, but she doesn’t want to.

I’m going to fix this one up for me. I’ve owned several of these second gens and like them. Prefer the square look and simplicity, but in my life right now I don’t need it. This one is a 2002 and much more modern.

My last was a 96 with 250,000 miles on it. 4.3 was still running strong.

Parts are stupid cheap. Body panels are cheap. Rust patches are cheap. Simple trucks.
    Good to know. Thanks for the intel. I think I'd prefer a '98 and newer mostly just to get less rust hopefully. Manual trans is an 80% want. I'll travel a long ways if I can drive it back. If I have to haul it, I'd like to stay within a couple hundred miles of where I am.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd also take a Ranger. Patience is hard for me. Well maybe it isn't so much patience but I don't have a lot of time to scour America for a vehicle. I can't spend hours online searching for one every day.

And I'm thinking that they won't drop into my lap.
    www.autotempest.com/everyday

Just plug in what you're looking for and it does the work for you.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good to know. Thanks for the intel. I think I'd prefer a '98 and newer mostly just to get less rust hopefully. Manual trans is an 80% want. I'll travel a long ways if I can drive it back. If I have to haul it, I'd like to stay within a couple hundred miles of where I am.
    98 and newer also gives you the better looking front end and interior of the second gen. This is the first of 98+ that I’ve owned and it’s much more pleasant. I had a bunch saved that were decent looking trucks under $2000, but they were a little more distance than I wanted to cover. Lemme know your budget and if I see something I’ll post it. Ext cab or reg cab? 4 cyl or 6?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Your list of wants put you at odds of finding one. Manuals of those years are not as abundant. And any that are rustfree or close to it are not for sale very long. Especially if it's 6 cyl manual and fairly rustfree.

Another thing is most people still think you can buy these for 1-1.5k and that's just not the case. A clean mostly rustfree truck will bring 5k plus most quickly, more if it's 6cyl and manual.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks. I forgot all about that site. I can't figure out how to work FB Marketplace. Even when I type in a specific vehicle, I still get all kinds of stuff.
    Mom45 from here ended up finding a pretty clean OBS Chevy pickup from Craigslist this year, so they do come through, but you have to be ready to go when you see it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks. I forgot all about that site. I can't figure out how to work FB Marketplace. Even when I type in a specific vehicle, I still get all kinds of stuff.
    This has been my biggest gripe with FB Marketplace. It's turned into an algorithm search and I don't want that. I want what I searched for - nothing more, nothing less. And chances are, if I'm searching for small block ford engines, I probably don't want a Chevy Cobalt...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Race truck packed tight in the garage for its first repairs…. Gotta rig up some type of exhaust because someone stole the cat before I bought it. Like to keep this as cheap as possible.

Rolling around underneath, it’s not that bad! A couple tiny holes in the floors to plug up. Frame is solid. Just a lot of little junkyard items to source.

But exhaust first so I can actually hear all the noises..

20CA4C78-DB84-430F-A3E5-EDC376E5FFF1.jpeg

Top Bottom