• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That’s an AIR pump. Came out I think in 1970 on the GM stuff, used on higher HP applications such as the LS-6. Injected air into the exhaust system to clean up the emissions. Not many survived as they rob power off the engine driven pump.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Could be original engine. GM lifted the ban on over 400 inches for '70. Not all 455 cars are W30's. It appears to be a stripper 442. The vin and tag will tell all. It's not that bad of a price if original.

Don't forget Old's had 455's in the Hurst Old's in 68 and 69 that were installed at the factory and "finished" by another vendor.
    The 68 cars were black and silver and the 69 was white and gold.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Hurst/Olds

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    That’s an AIR pump. Came out I think in 1970 on the GM stuff, used on higher HP applications such as the LS-6. Injected air into the exhaust system to clean up the emissions. Not many survived as they rob power off the engine driven pump.

Yeah the AIR pumps just cheated the emission test. Blowing cold air down the exhaust made the tailpipe readings better but the engine still made the same pollutants as it always did with or without the pump. I remember reading that states like California that cars had to pass emissions tests the car guys would put different pulleys on them and "overdrive" them to clean up and cover up for cams and different intakes and carbs.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Been a while since I been on INGO.

Thought id poke my head in and see what’s up in hot rod land.

Im currently relocating my fuel tank to the rear, adding a Sniper EFI system and putting in a Lokar floor shifter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Ah yes. The most quickly removed piece on the stock engine. Off comes the belt.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Welcome back glueman. How's the truck running?

Not at all right now :(
    hoping to get everything buttoned up tomorrow so I can get everything entered in the wizard. Then it does the self learning if everything goes good. I think it takes a couple hundred miles of driving for it to set everything. Then it allows for tweaking if you know what to do. Gonna be a learning curve for sure. How is your season so far?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Not at all right now :(
    hoping to get everything buttoned up tomorrow so I can get everything entered in the wizard. Then it does the self learning if everything goes good. I think it takes a couple hundred miles of driving for it to set everything. Then it allows for tweaking if you know what to do. Gonna be a learning curve for sure. How is your season so far?

Gotta love electronic technology. Its amazing how much auto electronics are becoming "self learning".

As for my season...well the car is ready to go (basically). Our first race was supposed to be tomorrow. However, the new slicks I ordered last week came in and now I have to run wheel spacers to make them fit. Unfortunately that means my wheel studs aren't long enough. I ordered a set but they won't be here until first of the week. So kinda bummed that we have to wait a couple weeks till our next race.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Gotta love electronic technology. Its amazing how much auto electronics are becoming "self learning".

As for my season...well the car is ready to go (basically). Our first race was supposed to be tomorrow. However, the new slicks I ordered last week came in and now I have to run wheel spacers to make them fit. Unfortunately that means my wheel studs aren't long enough. I ordered a set but they won't be here until first of the week. So kinda bummed that we have to wait a couple weeks till our next race.

Nothing seems to ever be easy with me either. Anytime something is supposed to be bolt on or plug n play it seems like I’m fabricating something to make it work. I usually just put tech support in my phone contacts list too because I will be on a first name basis before All is done.

Hope you get it all worked out. Maybe I can come see you make a pass this season.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Nothing seems to ever be easy with me either. Anytime something is supposed to be bolt on or plug n play it seems like I’m fabricating something to make it work. I usually just put tech support in my phone contacts list too because I will be on a first name basis before All is done.

Hope you get it all worked out. Maybe I can come see you make a pass this season.

Roger that! I had an 89 R3500 dually several years ago, 454 TBI, TH400. In an effort to get the highway mileage into the double digit range I had installed a gear Vendors overdrive, full 3 inch exhaust, aftermarket ignition, etc. Edelbrock had come out with a port injection set up for it that claimed "YUGE" mileage increases "Up To 20%". In my case I would have been happy with 10% as that would have pushed me into the double digits, over 10.0 mpg!!!!:rockwoot:

Anyhoo long story short included MANY phone calls to tech support, several different eproms for the computer and lots of cursing on my part. It got to the point where they weren't returning my calls. The damn thing wouldn't idle right, throttle response sucked and overall I was ready to reinstall the OE parts. Literally my last call to them I made contact with a tech that actually knew the difference between and R3500 and a C3500 of the same vintage and he was able to work it out. We got that thing purring like a kitten, throttle response and driveability were phenomenal and it was definitely much improved over the OE parts. I even got into the double digits as hoped, 9.9 MPG was the best it ever got but that was a vast improvement over the 5.2 it got on the drive home from the dealer when I originally bought it in 90!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

They do it on TV in 30 minutes.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Roger that! I had an 89 R3500 dually several years ago, 454 TBI, TH400. In an effort to get the highway mileage into the double digit range I had installed a gear Vendors overdrive, full 3 inch exhaust, aftermarket ignition, etc. Edelbrock had come out with a port injection set up for it that claimed "YUGE" mileage increases "Up To 20%". In my case I would have been happy with 10% as that would have pushed me into the double digits, over 10.0 mpg!!!!:rockwoot:

Anyhoo long story short included MANY phone calls to tech support, several different eproms for the computer and lots of cursing on my part. It got to the point where they weren't returning my calls. The damn thing wouldn't idle right, throttle response sucked and overall I was ready to reinstall the OE parts. Literally my last call to them I made contact with a tech that actually knew the difference between and R3500 and a C3500 of the same vintage and he was able to work it out. We got that thing purring like a kitten, throttle response and driveability were phenomenal and it was definitely much improved over the OE parts. I even got into the double digits as hoped, 9.9 MPG was the best it ever got but that was a vast improvement over the 5.2 it got on the drive home from the dealer when I originally bought it in 90!

early 90's Ford 1 ton Dooley we put together out of Zores. I had a wrecked 88 with the 460 gas engine and all the HD stuff on it. Truck had 75K on the clock but she was tore up. We found a few fair 95's in the yard and started taking parts. 95 was the newest body parts that would fit it. Bought new grill and some bright work. It was a choo choo custom originally so the interior (full 4 door cab) was custom. I found an aero kit for it and the thing was pretty fair. 7.5 MPG. That was it. Running/towing/idling no matter. 7.5 MPG. Damn good thing it had dual tanks on it. Towing the race trailer to EdgeWater raceway sucked it dry on a turn around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom