• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Put a Speedlogix hood on Challenger and drilled the hood pin holes and will go to paint next week. Man looks like a different car especially from inside, think it gives it a better look…..may wrap scoop later in flat black.DSC02683.JPG

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Misfire cyl #4. Time for plugs and probably coils & boots.

Our van gets a CEL at interstate speeds. OK in town. Have the ECU scanned. Intermittent random high speed misfire. No cause given. It is undetectable from the pilots chair. Engine smooth as silk. New plugs/wires and no change. I am doing the cam position sensor this spring. If that does not do it the the crank sensor.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Our van gets a CEL at interstate speeds. OK in town. Have the ECU scanned. Intermittent random high speed misfire. No cause given. It is undetectable from the pilots chair. Engine smooth as silk. New plugs/wires and no change. I am doing the cam position sensor this spring. If that does not do it the the crank sensor.

I've had the truck for 25k. It has 180k on it. I have never done the plugs. I was planning on doing them this spring anyway.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I would check for corrosion on any ECU contacts. Then I would be curious about an injector getting hot and breaking down.
    Not that it can't happen but crank /cam sensors rarely cause a misfire concern. Might check before you replace those as sometimes it requires a re-learn process to reset the crank/cam position correlation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would check for corrosion on any ECU contacts. Then I would be curious about an injector getting hot and breaking down.
    Not that it can't happen but crank /cam sensors rarely cause a misfire concern. Might check before you replace those as sometimes it requires a re-learn process to reset the crank/cam position correlation.

My guy that tested it and I discussed this but it is not just 1 cylinder. It is random. Meaning it jumps around when the engine is turning steady highway RPMs. That is the only time it happens and it is not a dead miss. You can not feel anything when the light comes on.
    He pulls history on his bench model Snap On scanner and it only states random high speed miss-fire. No cylinder specific. That is what leads me to think it could be one of the position sensors.
    And it does not do it all the time.....:scratch:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Cross another item off of my list of things I’ve never done. Pulled the engine and trans out of the Ventura today with the help of Rusty. Went really smoothly, other than my driveway looking like a triple homicide from the ATF. It happens.

I had gotten most of it disconnected ahead of time so we weren’t here all night.

Cheapo Harbour Freight engine hoist ftw!!

Looks naked. Gonna be all kinds of fun with a new power plant.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    My guy that tested it and I discussed this but it is not just 1 cylinder. It is random. Meaning it jumps around when the engine is turning steady highway RPMs. That is the only time it happens and it is not a dead miss. You can not feel anything when the light comes on.
    He pulls history on his bench model Snap On scanner and it only states random high speed miss-fire. No cylinder specific. That is what leads me to think it could be one of the position sensors.
    And it does not do it all the time.....:scratch:

If it's a Chevy van with a LS.

Before you put any more $ in it, have someone do a crank relearn with a scanner (it will take a full scanner, not just a reader). It's a know problem with the LS engine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom