• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This thread has again proven a motivator for me. Pulled the recently installed Matrix bed upgrade and mounted a heater on it with SSR relay and new power supply within the past week. While at that, decided to splurge with a $9 sheet of Buildtak. If I had it to do over, would probably have gone with something a little heavier than a 12v 350w power supply as I can hear an xtra fan wired to cool the SSR spool down some when both heaters come on. Thus far seems happy printing @ 60mms with moves @ 80MMs
    View attachment 52702 View attachment 52703

Keep those progress posts coming, as it's educational for me.

That's a cool setup. Do you have a voltmeter? If so put it on the 12v out on the power supply and see if it is dropping. The fan should Modulate( or speed up and down with current draw). If it isn't varying much the fan is probably just keeping up with current draw.

This benchy looks better. But not perfect. It seemed like I could hear the nozzle dragging on the print. I think that is what pulled the last one off. I slowed the speed down and it subsided. the last of the print looks better. Seems like it starts out strong then has a hard time staying warm. So I kind of figured I need a slower speed or more heat, I printed hotter last night and it looked stringy on the edges where the nozzle pulled away. So I am trying speed. But a cabinet would be the best option

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    And my fan relay came in. I just haven't gotten around to adding it. When my back feels better in a day or so I will get it installed.

I'll post some pics of the next benchy if it doesn't come out to bad! :):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I thing it's a bit better. I need to put this thing in a cabinet. And on a more level surface and do a better job of tramming it in. There is not much adjustment except for the bed level. I will put a dial indcator on the extruder platform and run it around the bed in the near future. I thing it prints pretty well for the moment. I will do a Benchy in PLA after while. I think it will look better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah, but it doesn't float real well. I need to get DB ti look at it. :lmfao: How are you doing Brother??

I think he will just make it sink faster.

You need to print some of those all plastic Glocks already!

845119_original-660x494.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I love PLA Here is a benchy at .3

I also just notice an error in my configuration. I though I had set the nozzle size to .4 but nope. It was .5 Not a good thing. I am reprinting a benchy at .2 now. If it is good the I will try .1 next if this is good enough.

Having fun with it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Link if you find that STL. Heck I have PLA in yellow Just the Glock barrel printed solid would be a cheap way to make a training gun.

Finally got ABS to stick. 130 bed and 230 nozzle and hillbilly enclosure made of a shemagh poster board and tops of some plastic tubs. Part one of three dual fan setup for E3D V6 hot end.
    2017-01-26_0639.png
    2017-01-26_0641.png

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My other pretty but cheaply made with crappy parts printer. The only think I like about it, is the enclosure and the build tac surface.

2017-01-26_0651.png

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Right side nozzle done, stuck well enough to print ok. No supports, and I had some sagging at the end of the nozzle as the overhang got steeper. bad pic sorry. I will just cut those sagging threads out to clear the way for the air.

2017-01-26_0916.png

2017-01-26_0917.png

2017-01-26_0917.png

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am going to scrounge the net now! :rockwoot:

Can't wait to get my free printed Glock! :):

Not sure if it was printed like that or painted black.
    I read that this one is so similar in size to the real one that it will take an actual Glock mag.
    And apparently the slide and everything works (just not able to fire of course).

imageuploadedbyohubcampfire1353813631-697301-jpg.229262

You can make a 1911 too but it would require to print more parts.

BA158F1A-BD79-4148-9191-B243D05B5E92-1772-0000021387ED9CF6.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Right side nozzle done, stuck well enough to print ok. No supports, and I had some sagging at the end of the nozzle as the overhang got steeper. bad pic sorry. I will just cut those sagging threads out to clear the way for the air.

2017-01-26_0916.png

what printer, material, and resolution is this?

I've wanted to dabble in a kit at home, but the ones we use at the library give ridges/resolution similar to what Larry is showing in his boat tests

I'm stand offish because of that, but this pic gives me hope

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Makerfarm Pegasus. .25 or .30 ABS I can not check now because the left side is printing now.

This is not a pretty piece. ABS for does not do pretty. I need this to be heat resistant cause it is attached to the hot end.

If you have any techincal/engineering skills build a kit you can get great looking prints.

If you are like me with zero skill starting out do not think that even a pre-made printer will work great right out of the box. Every filament and print is a work in progress. This hobby is about constant tweaking.

I have been happy with the support from Makerfarm. I email Collin all the time and he always responds quickly.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    what printer, material, and resolution is this?

I've wanted to dabble in a kit at home, but the ones we use at the library give ridges/resolution similar to what Larry is showing in his boat tests

I'm stand offish because of that, but this pic gives me hope

I am pretty sure he is using a Makerfarm Pegasus and printing that with ABS. That printer is sweet. My buddy and I just build one and it prints stellar. He is in a room that is more temperature controlled then my situation. I am moving mine to the den and will enclose it in a box. Last night I printed a Benchy at 1mm (will do down to .5mm) and it was impressive. It took a long time to print slicing it that thin. I set it out for my boy to check out and he took it to school and gave it to one of his friends, I did not get to snap a pic before it was gone :ugh: I might print one again later. The Pegasus is really the bomb. MY i3v is fun. But the controller is much nicer on the Pegasus. I am in the middle of rewriting the Pegasus firmware to work on my i3v which will make it a pretty mice machine, but it won;t be nearly as solid as the Pegasus.

What are you wanting to print Robby? PLA is a breeze to print ABS is really environmentally temperamental. It needs an even temperature. I have been surprised that the ABS I have done has even printed marginal.

Sailor, your print looks way better then my ABS! You are on the right track with enclosing it. I am impressed! What fan setup is that? I need to print one for Harry's machine. It looks like you are mastering ABS!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is the fan setup E3D V5 & V6 SINGLE & DUAL fan duct holder (Prusa I3) VER 2.0 by trustfm - Thingiverse

PETG is in house so I may try that this weekend.

I need to work on a real enclosure once I get my power switch added and wiring squared away.

I see you answered Robby before I finished typing, oops.

I like that fan setup. I will give it a try. Thanks for the link.

I am eager to see what you think of PETG. I just read up on it. They say it comes up between ABS and PLA. Prints more like PLA and nearly as heat resistant an ABS and is really strong. Looks like I need to get a roll.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    All three parts completed .30 layers 125, 230 deg temps weak enclosure. Hatchbox Black ABS. Used support inside on last one. It popped right out perfect on inside.

I only print while I am home and can monitor the process. I can monitor, view, and abort the print remotely but no remote fire suppression, not sure I trust my build work yet lol.

2017-01-27_0648.png

Top Bottom