• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    This is a new printer of my own design from pieces parts you can find mostly on Ebay.

Well the guy I got the stepper motors from screwed up and sent me one odd ball stepper with a weird shaft size, Grrr. So I won't get this done this weekend. I still have a lot I can do though. I will press on. I will post more pictures later. The delay will give my a chance to work on the mounting and wiring of the electronics. I can test everything but the extruder. I have my brother checking to see if he has one in his spare parts.

OK... adding to my confusion... I was like 'He just bought a printer, and now he's tearing it apart and completely replacing everything on it' lol

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OK... adding to my confusion... I was like 'He just bought a printer, and now he's tearing it apart and completely replacing everything on it' lol

Na, It's more like "he bought a small printer and thought it would be cooler to build an even bigger one!" :): The other one is intact and printing parts for the new one. How cool is that! I love building stuff. You would be impressed with some of the electronics stuff I have build. This project is a cool way to tie electronics and mechanics together in to one pretty cool project.

I got as far as I could mechanically with out having a stepper for the extruder. I might be picking one up tomorrow from my brother. He thinks he a s might have spare.

The extruder is pretty much assembled, less the stepper motor.

The X axis motor is mounted and the belt is routed and tensioned.

Here is the right side pulley.

The extruder motor will complete the X axis assembly. I am working on a design for a mount for the X axis. Some of you might recognize the X axis is pretty much the same as the Maker farm Pegasus. I have kind of based the build around the stuff I like on the Pegasus and a some ideals of my own. The Extruder, and X axis brackets are from maker farm as well as the heat bed and the bed plate. The framing is from a Cobblebot kit that I found on Ebay. I am not using the Cobble bot design. It is way to complex and the project failed, But the frame kit is excellent. The corner brackets, T nuts, Acme threaded rod and preloaded nut, Ramps/Mega board, end of limit switches, drive belts pulleys, stepper motors, Graphics display and power supply all came from Ebay. The hardware all came from Fastenal.

There are a lot of brackets that are printed here at home on the my sons i3v. I will post more when I have more progress. If I don't find a stepper I am probably screwed for a week or so. But that gives me time to work on the little bits. Which isn't to bad

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dual fans running now all ok. I dont like them though. I lose space on the X cause they hit the Z motors and I lose all access to the hot end for ease of cleaning, or that emergency grab of filament sticking to it after my purge line lol.

A single duct that pivots with a blower fan? Thats what I envision.

Anyhow midway into a Benchy test print with the duals.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    From 3dprintboard
    So many of the cooling ducts for axial fans leave you with little or no airflow, since those fans aren't intended for applications that create backpressure. The air just leaks back out around the blade edges. The "nirvana" approach I've wanted to try is to mount the radial blower fan somewhere on the printer frame and then run flexible, thin-wall silicone or latex tubing from the blower to a custom duct that mounts to the rear bottom side of the x-carriage. Started to look for some tubing once but didn't through with it.

So ideas on tubing?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    From 3dprintboard

So ideas on tubing?

That's an interesting concept. It would need to be fairly large to allow the volume. If you look at the out put on the radial fans that would going you a good ideal of the size. I wonder if a couple of 1/4 inch pieces of surgical tubing would work. It needs to be really flexible. I am going to have to tinker now. Making the mounts and fan adaptor would not be hard. I will see what I can come up with!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My brother has a spare motor! But I have to drive 45 minutes north to get it. But it gets me back on track! When the boy gets home we will head north.

The fun continues!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My brother has a spare motor! But I have to drive 45 minutes north to get it. But it gets me back on track! When the boy gets home we will head north.

The fun continues!

45 minutes.
    Sounds easier/cheaper to go to Jameco electronics or Allied electronics online.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Lulzbot TAZ 6 coming tomorrow! I have a lot to learn.

I just looked that printer up. You will have to post some pictures and let us know what you think of it.

There is a learning curve. I am still figuring out new things. But it is all worth it once you see something you make come off the plate! If you haven't checked out Thingiverse.com you might want to. That are a lot of cool things to print. If you have any questions let us know. One of us can probably help you.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I got a little work done this evening, X and Z limit switches mounted. I am going to revisit the Z bracket situation later. This works for now.

And the big show stopper is finally installed, the extruder motor is mounted and the hobbled pulley is on the shaft and aligned. The allen wrench is there just to see if the pulley lines up with the hole that the media goes threw that feeds the hot head.

I am down to wiring and mounting of the controls, Ramps/Mega and power supply. This is the fun part. And the part that I usually take my time with. I have brackets and cases to print.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    For a change of pace. My brothers homebrew 5 axis mill. It works great. One of these will be one of my next big projects.

And we are both hams, and in to electronics, machining and such. We are twins to boot.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Lost PLA. I haven't tried it yet, but there are lost of YouTube videos about it.

[video=youtube_share;iKgA6xGDu_c]http://youtu.be/iKgA6xGDu_c[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    :bowdown:

I'm studying to get my Ham. I want to pass all three test at once.

I took my my Tech, threw Teneral in one setting. That was back when you had to know code. There were 2 Tech license back then. n code and know code, lol. Then 6 weeks later I took my Advance then 6 months after that I took my Extra. My brother is a lowly general class (I tease all the time) He needs to take his Extra. I actually give the test. But I can't test family members. It's a fun hobby.

Lost PLA. I haven't tried it yet, but there are lost of YouTube videos about it.

[video=youtube_share;iKgA6xGDu_c]http://youtu.be/iKgA6xGDu_c[/video]

I have talked to 55fairlane about doing this. He has a small foundry at home. We will be doing something with it in the future. I would like to cast a 10-22 receiver. I have a lathe and a mill and he is a machinist with equipment at home. We could have some fun!

----------

I am on my 3rd design of a graphics display case. I thing this one is the right one, I hope. It will mount on the top of the frame for the gantry. Still working on the

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Great progress 1911!

Sheepdog that Lulzbot looks great, it should be gtg. All you need to do is tweak the settings to whatever filament you are using and roll, I write the settings on the reel. Extrusion factors etc.

And for a 10/22 PETG should work fine no need to cast, but it would be fun.

I have been getting thermal runaway shutdowns after fan installs. Probably getting to much cooling too quick and the temps on the bed are dropping too fast or something. Slowed fans down and seems to be ok.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Great progress 1911!

Sheepdog that Lulzbot looks great, it should be gtg. All you need to do is tweak the settings to whatever filament you are using and roll, I write the settings on the reel. Extrusion factors etc.

And for a 10/22 PETG should work fine no need to cast, but it would be fun.

I have been getting thermal runaway shutdowns after fan installs. Probably getting to much cooling too quick and the temps on the bed are dropping too fast or something. Slowed fans down and seems to be ok.

Are the temps dropping a lot or are the temps over shooting? I have wondered what the effect of the air blowing on the bed actually has on it's temp. And if the air from the print cooler is blowing on the hot head (needs moved down? ) is giving a faulty reading of what the temp really is in the melting chamber. I have my fan set down so low the end of the nozzle is just barely below the cooler. Barely off the print.

I have been printing brackets and cases for the ramps/mega, display and power supply all day. I am hopefully just about done. I have tossed a few prints that did not come out the way I wanted. This is tedious! Once the brackets and stuff are done I can mount the electronics and start the wiring! Hopefully I will get some done yet tonight!

Top Bottom