• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can to if from the menu on the machine, or you can do it in the firmware and write it to the machine like you did the original firmware. The configuration.h file is where the settings will be. Google can help you with that faster then I can type it all out. The advantage to doing that innthe firmware is you can save it and if you have and issue later down the road you have a copy to reload without going threw the setup again.

I have the Z axis Acme nut to X rail bracket just about designed. I spent some (a lot of!) time last night printing test pieces. I was up till 4:30, I was on a roll and did not want to stop. LOL

I am leaving shortly to get the rest of the hardware I need. The fun continues. I will post some pictures later if I make enough progress.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This dual fan assembly attachment by zip tie is crap. I keep breaking zip ties to get it tight enough. And I am not going to remove the hot end each time. Annoyed.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This dual fan assembly attachment by zip tie is crap. I keep breaking zip ties to get it tight enough. And I am not going to remove the hot end each time. Annoyed.

Are you using white ties? They are more brittle then black ones. And instead of using one tie in a loop, use two. Use one just for the tightening (clicker) part. Don't make it loop back on itself. One strand will hold it just find. The ties do not like square corners in small loops. They will break.That is how I did Harry's. I am going to modify the base/body for mine. I am going to add tabs for a small nut and bolt to make it clamp on the hot head. I will send you the modified STL if you want it?

I have my Z axis Acme nut brackets done. I think they are awesome! :-) I will post some pictures later today. I was able to make one bracket that works for both sides. I make it 4 times to get what I wanted. I haven't gotten much photo worthy work done. I am hoping the hardware will be in today and I can get a lot done.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah was using one black tie. Any STL's appreciated, I can not design much of anything yet. Need a printer that is all set up perfectly before I dig into that skill.

I will try hooking two black zip ties together.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How about these?
    https://www.amazon.com/14-Stainless...id=1486582102&sr=8-7&keywords=wire+ties+metal
    51zFxJZ81rL._SX450_.jpg

They might loosen back a bit just before locking in.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Or throw the whole thing off your bench because a $2.00 fan does not come on when its supposed to and you realize that you really do not enjoy anything at all about building this and you just want to print. And that is why you are in sales.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Or using a screw/bolt?

That is the plan. I have modified the original base to do that.

Or throw the whole thing off your bench because a $2.00 fan does not come on when its supposed to and you realize that you really do not enjoy anything at all about building this and you just want to print. And that is why you are in sales.

No no no, lol. It has to be in the settings. Check under filament settings/cooling. If you can't figure it out a few minutes on the ph and we can straighten it out. NP. I modified the base for a screw. I haven't test printed it yet. Shoot me your email in a PM I will send you the completed file.

But I get to live vicariously through you guys (and learn from your mistakes and successes!!!)

You should be here for this scratch build! What a hoot! Trying to figure out were you should drop T nuts in where you think you need them so you don;t have to take it apart 10 times :rofl:.

I will post some pictures in a while. I think I have made some good progress so far. More info in the project to come! I am having fun, really I am!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here are some promised pictures.

I went over kill on the Z axis drive lead screws. I went with a Acme thread (square cut) and preloaded nut. No slop here!

I had to design and print my own brackets. I like the way they came out.

When building the frame I use a few 1-2-3 blocks for squaring everything. So much handier then using a square.

Here are a few pics of the frame as it progresses.

Lots more to do!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One more picture:

I have a pretty good game plan (I think) The thing is really solid. Using the the 20x60 rail for the base and the uprights makes it really really solid. I am not sure if I will add any more bracing. I really like the Z axis setup. X and Y are pretty straight forward to do. Next will probably be the Y axis and the heat bed.

More to come later. FWIW, I am designing on the fly. I have a basic plan in my head. So far I think it is coming together nicely.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    More progress this afternoon.

Her is a nice tip when installing the eccentrics. Paint 3 of the flats different color. Line them up first so they are in the same position first. It makes it easier to tell that they are both turn the same amount. Keeping things even and equal.

I found this neat little belt holder on Thingiverse for the Y axis to bed mount. Seems to work great. My other machine woll be changed to this style in the future.

I have the bed rails on and the bed installed and the Y limit switch bracket printed (found on thingiverse) and installed.

The Y axis motor is installed and aligned with the bed travel. Belt is installed and everything lines up perfectly. This was a challenge because The motor is not moveable once it is mounted, so move, check, and remove the motor to move the mount, check and repeat. I only had to move it a few times.

Here is where she is at the moment. X axis motor is mounted Still lots to do and a few more brackets to make and design. I need to make a game plan for mounting the ramps/mega board, power supply and control panel.

I'll probably work on the X axis carriage, the X axis belt drive and the extruder assembly. Lots to to, more to come!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Is this a second printer? Or rebuilding the existing one?

This is a new printer of my own design from pieces parts you can find mostly on Ebay.

Well the guy I got the stepper motors from screwed up and sent me one odd ball stepper with a weird shaft size, Grrr. So I won't get this done this weekend. I still have a lot I can do though. I will press on. I will post more pictures later. The delay will give my a chance to work on the mounting and wiring of the electronics. I can test everything but the extruder. I have my brother checking to see if he has one in his spare parts.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They look like nema 17. With a printer that big do you think 23 would be better?

You are correct, they are NEMA 17's. TBH these motors don't work really hard. They don;t even run warm to the touch. I have 23's on my homenbrew CNC router. They work a lot harder on the mill.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dekumadoriya24
    Top Bottom