The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I hope this is true. Image notwithstanding, Kochsucker is no friend of liberty.

Johnson was just on the Joe rogan podcast and this was a question that came up. Not the kochs specifically but having a big donor back you in general. Joe was assuming he'd get agreement that it's a bad thing but in one of the many awkward moments in the interview Johnson defended single big money donors as long as it's all disclosed and in the open.

His reasoning being that it's much easier to scrutinize and be sure that one donor is in no way getting favors than if say Johnson had received 200,000 dollars from 500 different people.

He said in New Mexico he had one huge donor who never once asked for a favor/genuinely believed in the cause. That if he'd had hundreds of large donors he guarantees at least a few dozen would expect favors in return.

That being said I doubt the validity of the story, being as Johnson isn't even for sure the nominee yet.

I'd also point out, as many have here before, the 3rd party isn't going to win, so what influence could koch possibly buy from advancing Johnsons campaign? His money would be better spent elsewhere of political favor is his motivation.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'd also point out, as many have here before, the 3rd party isn't going to win, so what influence could koch possibly buy from advancing Johnsons campaign? His money would be better spent elsewhere of political favor is his motivation.

It isn't necessarily buying influence. He could well intend to split the vote to throw the election Hillary's way choosing establishment over non-establishment. At one time I had thought of the Koch brothers as taking a role similar with that of Midas Mulligan from Atlas Shrugged. Since then, I have seen a much less flattering view of Koch in action which is nothing like the idealistic image they have built around themselves.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It isn't necessarily buying influence. He could well intend to split the vote to throw the election Hillary's way choosing establishment over non-establishment. At one time I had thought of the Koch brothers as taking a role similar with that of Midas Mulligan from Atlas Shrugged. Since then, I have seen a much less flattering view of Koch in action which is nothing like the idealistic image they have built around themselves.

So your contention is that if they did fund the libertarian they are for the establishment, not libertarian as theyve claimed as long as I can remember.

Sounds like a bit of a stretch.

I don't think you fund a 3rd party to that degree intending to help the establishment and the system.
    If you want Hilary to win you secretly donate to a Hilary pac.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So your contention is that if they did fund the libertarian they are for the establishment, not libertarian as theyve claimed as long as I can remember.

Sounds like a bit of a stretch.

I don't think you fund a 3rd party to that degree intending to help the establishment and the system.
    If you want Hilary to win you secretly donate to a Hilary pac.

You would have to fund the 3rd party to that degree to siphon enough votes to make a difference. The Kocksuckers are some strange examples of libertarians, unless I am mistaken in the belief that libertarians support liberty, as in liberty for everyone.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I would say that David Koch is certainly a libertarian. He ran as the VP candidate for the LP in 1980, with Ed Clark. He still holds libertarian beliefs, as far as I know, despite donating huge sums to numerous wretched republicans over the years. His charitable donations and political action donations in various areas certainly show a person who wants a smaller government.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You would have to fund the 3rd party to that degree to siphon enough votes to make a difference. The Kocksuckers are some strange examples of libertarians, unless I am mistaken in the belief that libertarians support liberty, as in liberty for everyone.

How so? I believe one of them actually ran for office as a libertarian in 1980. I don't think it's some new strategy. It's more believable that they genuinely despise trump as much as some of the rest of us do, so why not fund the guy you believe in. Trumps not a republican so it's not hard to believe they'd refuse to support him simply on those grounds.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How so? I believe one of them actually ran for office as a libertarian in 1980. I don't think it's some new strategy. It's more believable that they genuinely despise trump as much as some of the rest of us do, so why not fund the guy you believe in. Trumps not a republican so it's not hard to believe they'd refuse to support him simply on those grounds.

I would say $500K spent on a primary for state legislature over a seat that was not needed, joining two corporations within the state to overwhelm one of the most laissez-faire members of the general assembly by sheer money to make way for an establishment hack tells me all I need to know.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would say $500K spent on a primary for state legislature over a seat that was not needed, joining two corporations within the state to overwhelm one of the most laissez-faire members of the general assembly by sheer money to make way for an establishment hack tells me all I need to know.

They spent 500k on an Indiana state legislature primary campaign? Who was that?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They spent 500k on an Indiana state legislature primary campaign? Who was that?

To be fair, he didn't state or IMO imply that it was an IN seat. Although I would like to know who it was also and what two companies. And why he believes that the seat in question "was not needed". I'd say every seat is needed for my side.

And he did the same thing in another thread quite recently. But didn't list or imply who the donor or candidate. But did mention that it was an IN seat but not rep or sen.

$750K to buy a state legislature seat over the underlying issue here and 'follow the money' is just buzzwords. Get f**king real.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sorta crazy video from John Mcafee

"Be A Libertarian"

[video=youtube;GeHrjguBe6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeHrjguBe6s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sorta crazy video from John Mcafee

"Be A Libertarian"

[video=youtube;GeHrjguBe6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeHrjguBe6s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sorta crazy? And that video needs a warning tag, NSFepileptics/warning seizure inducing. I'm not an epileptic but dang I was getting a bit twitchy during parts of it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Uh oh, Bill Weld moderate on guns.

[video]https://youtu.be/xUyUh07SLNA[/video]

I don't consider him moderate, I'd say his history shows him to be flat out bad on the issue. Fortunately, in the LP VP candidates have to be voted into the candidacy. I'm hoping that the delegates will look at his unlibertarian past decisions and refuse to grant him the position. There are better candidates for the position who are actually libertarians.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't consider him moderate, I'd say his history shows him to be flat out bad on the issue. Fortunately, in the LP VP candidates have to be voted into the candidacy. I'm hoping that the delegates will look at his unlibertarian past decisions and refuse to grant him the position. There are better candidates for the position who are actually libertarians.

Having Weld on the ticket would signal the libertarian party desiring to move more towards the pragmatic mainstream. Obviously guns isn't where we want to see any compromise, hopefully Weld won't have any pull on the issue, will be interesting to see what they do about this disagreement.

In general I like the idea of having another poplar two term governor on the ticket. To get breakout numbers libertarians are going to have to move away from the Austin peterson rigid idealism. I wish it were possible but in this day in age I think trying to explain what's wrong with the civil rights act is a losing proposition.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's not a matter of "rigid idealism". Weld is unqualified to be the LP VP candidate. He's a gun grabber and his stance on the issue, even today, should disqualify him. Just because Johnson would like him to be his running mate doesn't mean he'll get what he wants. Last time we had judge Jim Gray. An eminently libertarian candidate. Wish he'd have run again. Weld is nowhere near acceptable and would hurt Johnson with gun owners. Hell, I can't imagine what Johnson was thinking, recommending that turd for the position.

Top Bottom