The Libertarian Party Race is Filling Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I have been reading his positions on Reason's FB feed. I detest his social justice stance it leads to a complete discounting of private property rights (not to mention religious rights, but I have noticed those seem to be widely rejected by the liberatarians.). I also saw the article where he wants some kind of scheme to subsidize incomes... I got through the first paragraph, my head exploded and I moved along. I probably could have voted for the LP this year.

No he didn't.

He often says he is "open to..." discussing an idea when someone asks him something. Someone asked him about minimum incomes and he used that phrase.

As an aside, I have heard some rational commentaries that it would at least be better to subsidize incomes in a transparent, calculated way than to have a plethora of tax code and aid packages that mask some of the spending. But that's a more detailed conversation. the point is he did not say that he "wants" it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    I tend to think that this time around, the third party candidates are going to hurt the democrats worse than the republicans. However, I wouldn't rule out Clinton winning. I'm afraid of vote fraud and this thing being rigged just like how they screwed Bernie.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012

I've been giving this a lot of thought. Even if you don't agree with anything a third party stands for, I think one should consider voting for it. There is absolutely zero chance of a third party winning in this election, BUT if that party reaches certain benchmarks, it is eligible for campaign funds and to participate in debates. Whatever third party met those benchmarks, it, and the other two parties, would begin to morph around each other. A third choice might drive our political discourse in a positive direction. To me, this is a better course of action than not voting at all. (I, personally, cannot vote for either Trump or Clinton.)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I agree with the problem, but I doubt that Castle or anyone else will have ballot access everywhere. Johnson almost certainly will. That may be another problem we need to address. And if you just can't vote for any of those with ballot access, then I think voting for someone else or even not voting at all is better than endorsing the corrupt system.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've been giving this a lot of thought. Even if you don't agree with anything a third party stands for, I think one should consider voting for it. There is absolutely zero chance of a third party winning in this election, BUT if that party reaches certain benchmarks, it is eligible for campaign funds and to participate in debates. Whatever third party met those benchmarks, it, and the other two parties, would begin to morph around each other. A third choice might drive our political discourse in a positive direction. To me, this is a better course of action than not voting at all. (I, personally, cannot vote for either Trump or Clinton.)

I read or heard an analysis of this quite some time ago. I might have even posted it/about it. The consensus was that the system would pretty quickly converge on two parties again, although perhaps not the same two

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I read or heard an analysis of this quite some time ago. I might have even posted it/about it. The consensus was that the system would pretty quickly converge on two parties again, although perhaps not the same two
    The natural conclusion of our voting system is a two party system. It's like cutthroat penuchle. Two sides gang up against the third and then the two sides slug it out.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012

Perhaps, but that would take some time, and it would at least push the debate in ways that would engage a larger slice of the electorate. But then again, never have so many been so alienated by their choices for president. It isn't a foregone conclusion that the two parties left standing would be the two parties that we have now. Some more debate and more ideas would be a good thing. I no longer would consider myself a republican at this point. I stand for maximum liberty, equal rights, and fiscal responsibility. There is no party that speaks to me just now. In a three party system, perhaps one party would be the voice of reason (as I see it), and appeal to the disaffected middle.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps, but that would take some time, and it would at least push the debate in ways that would engage a larger slice of the electorate. But then again, never have so many been so alienated by their choices for president. It isn't a foregone conclusion that the two parties left standing would be the two parties that we have now. Some more debate and more ideas would be a good thing. I no longer would consider myself a republican at this point. I stand for maximum liberty, equal rights, and fiscal responsibility. There is no party that speaks to me just now. In a three party system, perhaps one party would be the voice of reason (as I see it), and appeal to the disaffected middle.

One cycle. Then back to 2-party.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ... To me, this is a better course of action than not voting at all. (I, personally, cannot vote for either Trump or Clinton.)

I'm still torn between voting for the 3rd most evil on the ballot (Johnson/LP) or not voting.

If we had a 4th most evil choice on the ballot, I'd have more to consider, but I'm not planning to write in a candidate.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

One cycle. Then back to 2-party.

A good reference would be the elections of 1912 followed by reconvergence in 1916

Top Bottom