Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Never intend to have either of those products in my house.

If you have a smart phone you are already bugged.

I have been talking to my wife and had suggestions pop up about what we were just talking about.

I was texting a friend about helping him with his LTCH application. I typed in "I can sit down with you and...(at this point it suggested his wife's name) your computer and show you what to do.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If a law is passed like this here.... it would not surprise me at all to find “pink noise” generators used next to Alexa units and Tupperware bowls over the both of them

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    If a law is passed like this here.... it would not surprise me at all to find “pink noise” generators used next to Alexa units and Tupperware bowls over the both of them

I like how they are uniformly advertised as "smart speakers" when they can be just as accurately described as "smart microphones". But that implies something very different about their functions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you have a smart phone you are already bugged.

I have been talking to my wife and had suggestions pop up about what we were just talking about.

I was texting a friend about helping him with his LTCH application. I typed in "I can sit down with you and...(at this point it suggested his wife's name) your computer and show you what to do.

Flip phone FTW! :rockwoot:

Reply All did a story on this phenomenon a while ago:
    https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/z3hlwr/109-is-facebook-spying-on-you

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Eric Snowden finds this post amusing

Edit:
    "You paid for it [the phone] but whoever controls the software owns the phone." - Eric Snowden

Yeah, well it's also possible to point at my bike and tell you it's not going to drive anywhere on it's own.

Embedded systems are complex, but not magical; there are limitations.

I just finished a motion sensor that uses a microphone for occupancy detection.
    My boss: "Cool! Can we make it do voice commands?"
    "Come 'on, that's an ARM Cortex M0 - it's running 79% CPU time just as a rudimentary sound meter!"

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah, well it's also possible to point at my bike and tell you it's not going to drive anywhere on it's own.

Not sure about your point here. Bikes do not generally include computers. You should know that any device that includes a processor and network access can be programmed to do what you want and other things you don't want. They aren't required to disclose the latter and it is often not possible to verify their claims anyway. OS and app software on phones are a prime example.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I just finished a motion sensor that uses a microphone for occupancy detection.
    My boss: "Cool! Can we make it do voice commands?"
    "Come 'on, that's an ARM Cortex M0 - it's running 79% CPU time just as a rudimentary sound meter!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34444233
    Edward Snowden interview: 'Smartphones can be taken over'

Your bike may indeed need a rider to 'go somewhere without you', but what would it need to report your activities and location? Technologically advanced automobiles such as Tesla already have the capability to take, aggregate and report data on their use/user, as well as access the internet and receive software updates. It is only a matter of time until bikes encompass ever smarter subsystems, many are already program fuel injection, yes?

Think how much the LEO and the agencies would like to be able to have your vehicle track you for them as well as be able to disable it with a software command. Think about cars that already incorporate microphones for voice command as well as inward facing cameras for such systems as driver alertness warnings

The internet of things will almost certainly also be the internet of surveillance

Ultimately, saying that you don’t care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different from saying you don’t care about freedom of speech because you have nothing to say. Or that you don’t care about freedom of the press because you don’t like to read. Or that you don’t care about freedom of religion because you don’t believe in God. Or that you don’t care about the freedom to peaceably assemble because you’re a lazy, antisocial agoraphobe. Just because this or that freedom might not have meaning to you today doesn’t mean that that it doesn’t or won’t have meaning tomorrow, to you, or to your neighbor – or to the crowds of principled dissidents I was following on my phone who were protesting halfway across the planet, hoping to gain just a fraction of the freedom that my country was busily dismantling.”
    ― Edward Snowden, Permanent Record

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    “These are not snowflakes* being whipped. These are snowflakes* who take the lash obediently and whip themselves.”

* Ayn Rand’s original quotation referred to “men”, but those clowns in Evanston don’t qualify as either “men” or “women”.

Always love it when you quote Ayn, Mikey. If we could just get all liberals to read 'Atlas', maybe they'd see where all this is heading, and save everyone the headache and heartache.

Hey, a man can dream can't he!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure about your point here. Bikes do not generally include computers. You should know that any device that includes a processor and network access can be programmed to do what you want and other things you don't want. They aren't required to disclose the latter and it is often not possible to verify their claims anyway. OS and app software on phones are a prime example.

Like I said, my phone is ancient.

Have a great weekend, folks.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Always love it when you quote Ayn, Mikey. If we could just get all liberals to read 'Atlas', maybe they'd see where all this is heading, and save everyone the headache and heartache.

Hey, a man can dream can't he!

Once upon a time, I thought I had met my Dagny . . .

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Honest to goodness pushback against insane woke gender theory.

Hungary Proposes Constitutional Amendment Opposing Gender Theory

Hungary’s government proposed a constitutional amendment Tuesday that would defend children’s sexual integrity while limiting adoption to married couples.

In the draft amendment submitted to parliament by Justice Minister Judit Varga, the national constitution would declare that “the mother is a woman, the father is a man,” Hungarian media report, while also outlawing gender reassignment for minors.

In direct opposition to gender theory, the amended text states that “Hungary protects children’s right to an identity conforming to their birth gender and ensures education in accordance with the values ​​based on Hungary’s constitutional identity and Christian culture.”

“Human dignity,” states an explanatory memorandum, “also includes the right of every child to have an identity appropriate to his or her gender, including protection against mental or biological interference with his or her physical and mental integrity.”

Apparently the Hungarians are lot more willing to call this stuff out for the nonsense that it is than we are here in the US.

Already in 2018 the Hungarian government discontinued programs in gender studies at state-run universities after determining that the programs served no identifiable purpose and were based on “ideology rather than science.”

Bence Rétvári, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Human Resources, said that university degrees must be rooted in a scientific basis, whereas gender studies, “like Marxist-Leninism,” are more aptly termed ideology than science, and are inappropriate matter for university-level education.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Honest to goodness pushback against insane woke gender theory.

Hungary Proposes Constitutional Amendment Opposing Gender Theory

Apparently the Hungarians are lot more willing to call this stuff out for the nonsense that it is than we are here in the US.

All that will do is a Harris Execuitive Order to cut off all aid to Hungary for human rights violations while giving aid to Islamic countries that discriminate against women and throw sodomite off roof tops.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All that will do is a Harris Execuitive Order to cut off all aid to Hungary for human rights violations while giving aid to Islamic countries that discriminate against women and throw sodomite off roof tops.
    Yep.

Well, except that your characterization of gays is not very charitable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom