• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Christmas parties is racist. And White. And patriarchal.

But anyway, the NYT hired a racist. And then they doubled down on it. And I get it. No one wants to buy the NYT in print. No one wants to subscribe online. They have to live off of click-based ad revenue. So they have to get clicks. They hire a racist, sexist, *****, who purportedly has writing chops, and she’ll likely get clicks. Way more people will click on her first major NYT article now with all the publicity.

The biggest cost to the NYT is their credibility. They just lost it. As Eric Weinstein tweeted, they don’t get to be taken seriously anymore when publishing articles about racism now that they’ve hired one, and defended her. But they’re going to make money on it. The National Enquirer makes money too. How far the mighty “paper of record” has fallen.

Credibility? New York Times? Seriously? Just lost it? Can't be taken seriously . . . anymore?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Credibility? New York Times? Seriously? Just lost it? Can't be taken seriously . . . anymore?

Well, sure, they've been going down the tubes for years in terms of journalistic integrity, but they're not rock bottom. They're not Vox, for example, or Slate. They write articles on many subjects, not just political. Of course their political section is mostly written by journalists who view the world through a progressive lens, and their reporting shows it.

I'm just saying that when it comes to articles about racism or bigotry, whatever credibility they had above rock bottom, is gone. They hit bottom after they hired a racist reporter, and then defended hiring a racist reporter. They might as well admit now that they don't care about their own credibility on race. NYT is acting like they care more about their entry into the crowded market of further-left-than-they-were click-bait.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, sure, they've been going down the tubes for years in terms of journalistic integrity, but they're not rock bottom. They're not Vox, for example, or Slate. They write articles on many subjects, not just political. Of course their political section is mostly written by journalists who view the world through a progressive lens, and their reporting shows it.

I'm just saying that when it comes to articles about racism or bigotry, whatever credibility they had above rock bottom, is gone. They hit bottom after they hired a racist reporter, and then defended hiring a racist reporter. They might as well admit now that they don't care about their own credibility on race. NYT is acting like they care more about their entry into the crowded market of further-left-than-they-were click-bait.

Have they tried the "she can't be racist because she's not white" routine yet?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hard to say. I don't believe being "offended" is a real physiological or psychological thing. It's just a state that people choose to label themselves as in order to silence or gain on someone else.

Djr-rBAXcAAsLW2.jpg:large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hard to say. I don't believe being "offended" is a real physiological or psychological thing. It's just a state that people choose to label themselves as in order to silence or gain on someone else.

Djr-rBAXcAAsLW2.jpg:large

I don't agree. It's a feeling. It's a common emotional response. That puts it in the realm of physiological/psychological. For example. When I first moved to Missippi someone, as an act of welcoming, gave me a bag of currants. I didn't really know what they were. I just thought they were giant grapes. That's what they looked like. He said, go ahead and try one. I bit into it expecting the sweet taste of freshly picked grapes...only really, really BIG grapes. What I tasted really surprised me and I really didn't like them, and my reaction was transparent. As I would learn, Missippians really pride themselves in their hospitality. I could tell that he was offended, because he misinterpreted that I was rejecting his hospitality.

That's a very common thing. People get offended when they perceive that you're rejecting their hospitality. It's age old. Because it's evolutionary wiring. We don't have to run those subroutines; we can override them. Not many people are equipped to override the offense subroutine for all possible offenses. That's the way I look at offense. Offense is most often taken, and rarely given. You can choose to override the instinct, but you usually have to choose to. There wasn't any way that I could talk him down from being offended.

All I can do is explain that I've never tried currants, I expected them to taste like grapes. And that was my reaction. He can then choose to override the instinct to be offended, or to him it may feel so deep that he's unable to. In that sense I'm not responsible for his offense. He is.

But I can also mean to offend. That's on me. He can also choose to be offended by everything to uplift himself as a victim. Both of these are more the examples of the kinds of offenses that are used for personal gain, as you said. But there are the more common legitimate offenses that we deal with in real life, like the well-meaning neighbor sharing his prize currants.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Only because we've talked about Elon here... this is just... really surprising.

Elon Musk follows only 64 people on Twitter. One is a huge anti-SJW independent Pro-1A gaming website, Niche Gamer. That's... sort of awesome.

tSX14D6.png

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Burger King joins in on the "woman's tax" with Chick Sticks. Same chicken sticks with a new pink box that costs almost twice as much.
    1532548481383.png

Burger King raises awareness about 'Pink Tax' | Fox News

-1 burger king

...Or some decent neighbors of the synagogue could help them clean up and the vandals can be prosecuted for an already existing crime.

Which one do you think would make sure the synagogue and its members knew they were welcome in the neighborhood?

I saw a news article about a service there after it happened, I think non Jewish outnumbered the Jewish. I'm pretty sure they feel welcome. Don't know if anyone offered to clean it up though.

Britain would prefer to discriminate against the blind in order to appease their Muslim population.

Blind man's guide dog barred from restaurant for offending Muslims

I gotta say I side with the owners on this one, their property their rules. No different than when some restaurants up in MI said disabled Muslims couldn't bring in their service horses. And for those who mention the size difference I've seen dogs taller and heavier than some miniature horses which are usually the ones trained for service animals.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Burger King joins in on the "woman's tax" with Chick Sticks. Same chicken sticks with a new pink box that costs almost twice as much.

Well, it is a really thing. But it's not nefarious, just capitalism.

Walmart has Plano boxes in the craft section and some very, very similar ones in the sporting good section, although the packaging and intended audience is different.

The sporting goods boxes are 1/3 the price of the others.

Caveat Emptor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some women's items are more expensive, because women buy those things.

For example, pants. Men go in, look at a few pair, then buy them. Usually the cheaper pair.
    Women look what's fashionable, what looks good on them, they find an outrageously priced pair, but it's marked 25 percent off, so they buy it.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Some women's items are more expensive, because women buy those things.

For example, pants. Men go in, look at a few pair, then buy them. Usually the cheaper pair.
    Women look what's fashionable, what looks good on them, they find an outrageously priced pair, but it's marked 25 percent off, so they buy it.

If you don't buy the thing that you don't need when it is on sale, how can you expect to save money??? Some people.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom