Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    White people and their....

*shuffles deck*
    *picks card*

Being not racist...
    G knows the buttons to push to turn on rant mode.

When you say you 'don't see race', you're ignoring racism, not helping to solve it.

Race is such an ingrained social construct that even blind people can 'see' it. To pretend it doesn't exist you erase the experiences of Black people.

Bull****. When one truly doesn't see race, he's being NOT RACIST. He's contributing to reducing the number of racists by NOT BEING A RACIST. It's a thing to strive for actually, but hard to attain.

It's true enough that race is an ingrained social construct. People tend to associate appearance with preconceived notions. It's a good idea not to do that. Pursuing a state of mind where race doesn't matter is good goal to strive for.

Not seeing race doesn't mean people pretend that racism or race doesn't exist. It simply means not caring that, to the extent race does exist, the defining physical features don't make the person.

The most bat **** crazy absurd statement in that quote is that it "erases the experiences of Black people." WTF? You mean all the White Supremacists had to do is pretend Black people don't exist? It doesn't erase past experiences to not care about race. It prevents your contribution to giving other people negative experiences because of race.

Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism. A colorblind approach allows us to deny uncomfortable cultural differences.
    This is a racist statement. First, "Colorblind" isn't an ideology. It's a state of mind where one doesn't assume that a person's behavior is connected with race. Race doesn't have to be inextricably connected with culture. I would say that NOT being colorblind allows us to deny uncomfortable realities that not everyone conforms culturally with their race. It's racist to expect so.

You don't have to be racist to be racist
    Yeah. Ya kinda do. It's definitive. But WTF. Dictionaries are racist, so....

'I don't see race' and other white lies. No one white really wants to talk about being white.

Well. Maybe it's a white lie. If it is, it's more that people who don't want assume things based on race, often finds that it's hard to do. Pavlov's a *****. It's a good goal to strive for, for sure.

So no one really wants to talk about being white? Seriously? Let's see. Of the white people who don't care to sit around talking about being white, what percentage of them are racists compared to the ones who DO like to sit around talking about being white? Hmmm? Maybe we should ask White Supremacists their thoughts on the matter.

**** no, I don't want to talk about being white. That's got to rank up there on the boring scale with talking about relationships. Hell, I'd rather talk about Soccer than talk about being white.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seriously? Is this **** going to be a ****ing theme now?

Paralympion actress blasts The Rock for playing an amputee in Skyscraper movie

So... does the next actor playing Spiderman have to have dead parents?

Go **** yourself with this nonsense.

The next Taken movie will have to star someone who's had his family kidnapped.

Unless you've actually killed someone you can't possibly portray a killer in a movie.

You can't play Jesus if you can't walk on water.

Just think of the movies that can't be made due to logical conclusions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The next Taken movie will have to star someone who's had his family kidnapped.

Unless you've actually killed someone you can't possibly portray a killer in a movie.

You can't play Jesus if you can't walk on water.

Just think of the movies that can't be made due to logical conclusions.
    Can you use the dark side of the force? You are appropriating that avatar!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    G knows the buttons to push to turn on rant mode.

giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seems to be a different message than he used to give.
    Maybe he’s been secretly listening to the intellectual dark web.

Or maybe not. There were some cringey stuff in the speech, but he seemed to have moved more to the center on race from where he was.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Of course Kotaku would think that.

Rainbow Six Siege just made it so you would be automatically and instantly banned for "toxic language"

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/17/u...bow-six-siege-players-who-use-toxic-language/

Siege is made by Ubisoft. Another Ubisoft game is the new South Park RPGs. One character in those is Eric Cartman's super-hero persona, "The Coon". Can't say that in Siege, though...

It's an imperfect system looking to police a problem that no one cares about. The whole "toxic" label that arose in the past few years is just awful.

Ubisoft has implemented a new system in Rainbow Six Siege that bans players for using toxic language in the text chat, according to PC Gamer.

Yesterday, a number of players started whining about being temporarily banned from the game after using a racist or homophobic slur in the text chat. The first offense results in a 27 minute ban. Second and third offenses will cost players 2 hours of game time, and any following toxic language will result in an official investigation and potentially a permanent ban from the game.

5z6xzm1osna11.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of course Kotaku would think that.

Rainbow Six Siege just made it so you would be automatically and instantly banned for "toxic language"

https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/17/u...bow-six-siege-players-who-use-toxic-language/

Siege is made by Ubisoft. Another Ubisoft game is the new South Park RPGs. One character in those is Eric Cartman's super-hero persona, "The Coon". Can't say that in Siege, though...

It's an imperfect system looking to police a problem that no one cares about. The whole "toxic" label that arose in the past few years is just awful.

I actually care about it a lot. The reason the label arose was because of the progression of the online gaming industry, not the social justice movement.

All those squeakers cursing into their mics and all the vulgar taunting in the chat... It's not necessary and makes the game play worse.

Good for Ubisoft for trying to clean it up. I hope "fam" will result in one of those 27 minute timeouts.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I actually care about it a lot. The reason the label arose was because of the progression of the online gaming industry, not the social justice movement.

All those squeakers cursing into their mics and all the vulgar taunting in the chat... It's not necessary and makes the game play worse.

Good for Ubisoft for trying to clean it up. I hope "fam" will result in one of those 27 minute timeouts.

Why not just mute them? It's a tool that nearly any online game has. I don't think it should be up to a game company to decide what speech is good or bad for you.

Some like the trash talk, some just ignore it. Comes with competitive games.

Other reasons this is a poor idea:

1. Typos can get you banned. Missing a key when typing a message in chat is now a dangerous thing.
    2. There's no list of verboten words. So people can get banned without even knowing why.
    3. Doesn't account for different languages.
    4. Doesn't account for context, which is extremely important.
    5. Punishes the team of the "offending player" if they get banned during a match. Innocent people shouldn't be punished for the mistakes of others.

If there's a habitual "offender" that is intentionally trying to make the game suck for everyone... then report them and get people involved in investigating it. That's what community managers are for. Shouldn't be an automated process, even if temporary.

Just have a basic profanity filter like every other game, and make it optional.

There are hundreds of slurs in English alone, many of which have innocent homographs.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    a) it is a GAME
    b) it is a PRIVATE COMPANY's POLICY

I see no issue here. Let the market sort it out.

INGO has nearly the same policy. You say something verboten, you get the ban hammer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why not just mute them? It's a tool that nearly any online game has. I don't think it should be up to a game company to decide what speech is good or bad for you.

I'm not sure every game has an option to mute text from a particular player. And why can't a company decide what language it wants allow in its game? I dunno... I gotta think about that one.

If you really worried about getting 27 minutes on the naughty step, then don't type toxic things. Just like teenage girls don't accidentally trip and get pregnant, gamers don't accidentally type toxic taunts. And there's a difference between good-natured trash talk and fun-for-all teabagging and the vile toxic chats.

I'll agree that context is more important than words that can beaten or false trigger. (e.g. marke****ch).
    And having a reporting system and human is far superior, but that stuff never works unless there's 1,000,000 reports.

Maybe Ubisoft's algorithm is context based?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    a) it is a GAME
    b) it is a PRIVATE COMPANY's POLICY

I see no issue here. Let the market sort it out.

INGO has nearly the same policy. You say something verboten, you get the ban hammer.

A) meaning? Video games are the biggest and most popular form of entertainment. In some cases, the most profitable.

B) Not automatically, and INGO has a passive filter... an a community manager that investigates situations and manually decides whether or not to ban. You can say all the bad words you want... it's when you insert context that you could get banned for it.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hnngg.... "Toxic" is such an SJW buzzword...

I'm not sure every game has an option to mute text from a particular player. And why can't a company decide what language it wants allow in its game? I dunno... I gotta think about that one.

I can't think of a single online game that doesn't have a method to block other players.

I'll agree that context is more important than words that can beaten or false trigger. (e.g. marke****ch).
    And having a reporting system and human is far superior, but that stuff never works unless there's 1,000,000 reports.

You'd be surprised. While I dislike how Blizzard handles players outside the game... the reporting system in Overwatch is very effective, apparently... and can require as few as just a couple reports in a match.

Though they take the nonsense a step further and ban people for "one-tricking"

Maybe Ubisoft's algorithm is context based?

Nope, just raw words.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I agree with muting them if you don’t wanna hear them. I can’t recall a game I’ve played that doesn’t have that option. But, this is why I use teamspeak.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with muting them if you don’t wanna hear them. I can’t recall a game I’ve played that doesn’t have that option. But, this is why I use teamspeak.
    IF I can ever get GTA Online working again... I know you can mute audio, but not sure about one individuals text.

And does teamspeak or Discord do text? :dunno:

Nevertheless, the market can decide if they don't agree with Ubisoft.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IF I can ever get GTA Online working again... I know you can mute audio, but not sure about one individuals text.

Haven't used Teamspeak in a while, I think they had rudimentary text in the past.

Discord does have a chatbox. Users can be muted, channels can have filters, etc.

GTA Online allows you to block players, avoid them in lobbies.

It all comes back to John Gabriel's Greater Internet ****wad Theory

Here's the INGO-safe "dickwad" version

dickwad-theory.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Lol, in gta the other players would hardly be the most offensive language :):

Ya teamspeak has text, you can get teamspeak overlay and have it on your screen while in game. I never use text tho, usually only use it for voice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom