ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Really? No concrete reason? Here's one:

WNBA revenue: $50 million (half of teams lose money.)

NBA revenue: $7.4 billion.

There's your concrete reason. Not everything is oppression.

Ebony Magazine said:
    WNBA rookie A’ja Wilson took to Twitter to advocate for better pay for women in professional sports. "Women work just as hard as men, yet there is no concrete reason they are paid just a fraction for their work."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Really? No concrete reason? Here's one:

WNBA revenue: $50 million (half of teams lose money.)

NBA revenue: $7.4 billion.

There's your concrete reason. Not everything is oppression.
    Effort per se, is not valuable until it produces something of value. Possible the WNBA players could make as much money as the NBA if they were as popular to watch as the NBA. But it’s not as entertaining because the number of people who could legitimately say, I could do better, is significantly greater in the wnba. The level of play isn’t even close.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Effort per se, is not valuable until it produces something of value. Possible the WNBA players could make as much money as the NBA if they were as popular to watch as the NBA. But it’s not as entertaining because the number of people who could legitimately say, I could do better, is significantly greater in the wnba. The level of play isn’t even close.

I guess that depends on how you look at it. The WNBA actually plays the purer version of basketball. They are certainly more fundamentally sound, but the NBA has star power, some flexible rules (depending on who you are), and is more entertaining.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess that depends on how you look at it. The WNBA actually plays the purer version of basketball. They are certainly more fundamentally sound, but the NBA has star power, some flexible rules (depending on who you are), and is more entertaining.

What’s interesting about sports is seeing athletes push the limits of what’s possible for humans to do. Besides just fandom people go to NBA games to see their favorite players do something amazing. There just isn’t that kind of aspect in fandom for the WNBA. A dunk in the WNBA is rare, because it’s an extremely exceptional female who can do it. In the men’s game, it’s so common that players have to find new ways to make dunking spectacular.

The NBA players don’t get paid more because of misogyny, or the patriarchy, or misconceptions. That’s nonsense. The conceptions are accurate. Most people find more interesting things about the men’s game. It’s because of the natural, biological, physical inequality between men and women. It’s not to say men are superior to women. But they’re better at basketball and many other sports. It’s not misogyny to say that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What’s interesting about sports is seeing athletes push the limits of what’s possible for humans to do. Besides just fandom people go to NBA games to see their favorite players do something amazing. There just isn’t that kind of aspect in fandom for the WNBA. A dunk in the WNBA is rare, because it’s an extremely exceptional female who can do it. In the men’s game, it’s so common that players have to find new ways to make dunking spectacular.

The NBA players don’t get paid more because of misogyny, or the patriarchy, or misconceptions. That’s nonsense. The conceptions are accurate. Most people find more interesting things about the men’s game. It’s because of the natural, biological, physical inequality between men and women. It’s not to say men are superior to women. But they’re better at basketball and many other sports. It’s not misogyny to say that.
    You think you get to decide what is misogyny and what isn't? The progressives will tell you what qualifies and you will accept it!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

That's probably pretty accurate... and will stay so until there's more on the line.

If the WNBA's popularity went up overnight, I'm sure it wouldn't be immune to fuzzy rules and frequent flopping.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Meh...if either was dependant on me for their revenue both the guys and the gals would be complaining about low pay. College ball is far more entertaining than about any NBA or WNBA game to me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's probably pretty accurate... and will stay so until there's more on the line.

If the WNBA's popularity went up overnight, I'm sure it wouldn't be immune to fuzzy rules and frequent flopping.
    There is more to it than that. College basketball is extremely popular and also a more pure form of the game.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is more to it than that. College basketball is extremely popular and also a more pure form of the game.

I think, in their case, their future is on the line. The pathway to making millions.

Being a poor sport and whining isn't a great way to get picked up by a professional team... so College probably stays pretty untainted by the cancer in the NBA.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    WNBA Salary Comparison, as percentage of Revenue

NBAWNBA
    lowest salary $ 543,000.00 $ 35,000.00
    highest salary $ 34,682,550.00 $ 107,000.00
    League Revenue $ 7,400,000,000.00 $ 8,400,000.00
    Percent rev. Low0.0073%0.4167%
    percent rev Hi0.4687%1.2738%

Women actually are paid SIGNIFICANTLY more then their male counterparts, as a percentage of what they bring in. On the low end, they take home approx. 57x more of the gross revenue. On the high end, almost 3x more then the men.

If the WNBA were to bring their revenue up to the same as men (sell more advertising, sell more tickets, sell more merchandise, etc...) the highest paid person would clear $94 MILLION / year, and a n00b to the league would still make over $30 MILLION.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom