• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    When I see the things that conservatives are resistant to today, I think of the way society is beginning to shift more towards the "anything goes", "if it feels good do it" attitude. Religious views aside (I'm not terribly religious, but Sodom and Gomorrah comes to mind), look at what was going on in the Roman Empire before the fall... People tend to speak of biblical references as "myth", but not many dispute the history of Rome. Hedonism was rampant. Orgies were common (they don't call them "Roman orgies" for nothing.) There was a steady movement towards "anything goes". That's what concerns me about how I see the direction our society is moving. Some call it "inclusiveness" while others call it "perversion". I tend toward the latter. Sorry, just random thoughts that occur to me... :dunno:
    I believe you are correct in your assessment that Conservatives want to preserve traditions for the most part against the “anything goes” faction of society.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t think the abortion bills are a societal shift. I think that now that SCOTUS has 5 “conservative” (don’t laugh yet) justices, and potentially one more if they find RGB’s carcass before Trump is impeached, states are passing laws for the purpose of having the court re-decide R v W. The states which passed that law haven’t changed much at all. If they thought they had 5 SCOTUS justices 20 years ago, they’d have written the same laws then. They’re daring people to sue them. Also, I think it’s also a bit of a reaction to Virginia and some of the pro abortion state legislation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Because we actually like other humans"

No, she doesn't. She only likes the other humans who live in the same bubble that she does. She obviously does not like people who are ideologically different from her. And the same could be said of rural people, although, depending on the region and culture, rural people are typically way more friendly. But they tend to to care much for people who are ideologically different. This is a human thing, not a urban/rural thing. She thinks she likes people in the city. I'll bet not all.

"Rural areas aren't safe for anyone other than straight white people"

It's no safer for a straight white person, say, in inner city, than it is for a non-white or gay person to live in rural areas. That's not to say a person's immutable characteristics should put them in any greater peril, or depending on region. But, she's trying to make a point that's not evident, which is that rural people are more racist than urban people are.

I think it's likely that she considers anyone who doesn't agree with her 100% to by non-human or sub-human.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'd like to see everyone's definition of "true conservative". Given your position on some issues, I kinda suspect that your definition would likely be outside a standard deviation from the mean.

That can vary greatly with what it is that any given "conservative" means to conserve.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love when governments tell you there's no place for your product

D7K9lRUWkAAM95B.png:small

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Many Moons ago, I took a college course that was designed to prepare me for advancement in my job. The entire course was based on a book titled, ' I'm OK , You're OK ' . So now it's not OK , to be
    OK ???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom