ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Left Is Just One Big Hate Campaign - Sophia Narwitz

Ever since gamergate began in 2014 the popular left-wing narrative is that people who support the consumer rights movement are nothing but a conglomerate of bigots. A basket of deplorables, if you will. Anyone who so much as whispers the phrase “ethics in game journalism” is labeled an extremist who hates marginalized people of all types. In the eyes of the blue check-marked delicate flowers on Twitter, Gamergaters are fascists who want to see a violent end to those they supposedly despise.

Yet in 2019, cries for violence appear to be coming from the reflections inside the mirrors of those calling everyone else fascists.

Just this week a game developer for Impromptu Games tweeted that gamergate sympathizers should be punched in the throat. As is often the case he deleted his post after he was rightfully criticized en masse for it, upon which he went the route of playing the victim. Hearing the cries of a friend in need, the senior game designer at Guerrilla games jumped in to say that he was right to suggest people be punched.

Not satisfied with ending it there, another developer, this one from Route 59 Games, also chimed in with “Punch yr local gamergater.”

Are you following along? Because that is three game devs in a span of less than a day advocating violence. A call to arms against a portion of their consumer base. Ignoring that it’s a boneheaded marketing strategy to talk poorly of those that buy your product, the hypocrisy is what is most stunning.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why so serious? I’ll never understand the need for all this useless angst over make believe.

latest

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I still have no idea what Gamergate even was (is?). Last computer game I played was Doom II. I was the only one playing it (it wasn't online). Other than the monsters trying to kill me, I had no issues with it. And I knew the cheater codes to deal with the monsters. :):

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I still have no idea what Gamergate even was (is?). Last computer game I played was Doom II. I was the only one playing it (it wasn't online). Other than the monsters trying to kill me, I had no issues with it. And I knew the cheater codes to deal with the monsters. :):

TL;DR: "Game dev" girl creates a ****ty text game. She sleeps with five games journalists, and they promote it without disclosing the relationship (Kotaku, Gawker, etc). This raises the question of ethics with games journalism. Adam Baldwin coined the name "GamerGate" at the time.

Even today, she's still screaming on Twitter about how much of a victim she was. She and people aligned with her labeled the "movement" as a harassment/hate group.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    TL;DR: "Game dev" girl creates a ****ty text game. She sleeps with five games journalists, and they promote it without disclosing the relationship (Kotaku, Gawker, etc). This raises the question of ethics with games journalism. Adam Baldwin coined the name "GamerGate" at the time.

Even today, she's still screaming on Twitter about how much of a victim she was. She and people aligned with her labeled the "movement" as a harassment/hate group.

Over a text game. Like Zork?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Social issue: too many Nazis.

Solution: remove anyone right of left bat**** crazy from platform.

Result: promotion.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Hey, GP - can you link to a good concise explaination of GamerGate? I thought from a little cursory reading about it that it was more a pushback against the whole feminist/victimhood/SJW thing invading what up until then had seemed to its participants to be a meritocracy.

It seems from the above quote that Quinn has more in common with Harris and the true crux is somewhat ... seedier

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey, GP - can you link to a good concise explaination of GamerGate? I thought from a little cursory reading about it that it was more a pushback against the whole feminist/victimhood/SJW thing invading what up until then had seemed to its participants to be a meritocracy.

It seems from the above quote that Quinn has more in common with Harris and the true crux is somewhat ... seedier

Here's my old thread on it. Obviously it's been dormant for a while, but the links in the OP... while copious... do try and sum it up. I looked back at the Forbes article there by Erik Kain, and I'd already forgotten about the "Gamers are dead" backlash/coordination between games journalists... how they all worked together and wrote similar articles on how the "Gamer" terminology is toxic and over. Really was a bunch of stuff that all happened at the same time that sparked the outrage.

Anyway - Searching for a definition on Google is going to net top results from the offending places... Gawker, Vox, WaPo, Wikipedia, et al... with their explanations of it. Nothing unethical there... no sir.

Admittedly it grew to encompass far more than just unethical practices in the games industry... and became an anti-SJW sort of thing. Though the SJW stuff grew pretty rapidly alongside it, so it makes sense.

Here's a Medium article summarizing some of the early events: https://medium.com/@KingFrostFive/gamergate-august-2014-revisited-3b41832c061b

A few really shady things get people digging, lot of "streisand effect" goes on, big names get involved, and the movement is born. I really should go back and rewatch some of those Internet Aristocrat videos on it... I find even my current recollections hazy on the details of the beginning, and more focused on where we are now.

Edit: Heh, here's a "GamerGate in 60 seconds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here's my old thread on it. Obviously it's been dormant for a while, but the links in the OP... while copious... do try and sum it up. I looked back at the Forbes article there by Erik Kain, and I'd already forgotten about the "Gamers are dead" backlash/coordination between games journalists... how they all worked together and wrote similar articles on how the "Gamer" terminology is toxic and over. Really was a bunch of stuff that all happened at the same time that sparked the outrage.

Anyway - Searching for a definition on Google is going to net top results from the offending places... Gawker, Vox, WaPo, Wikipedia, et al... with their explanations of it. Nothing unethical there... no sir.

Admittedly it grew to encompass far more than just unethical practices in the games industry... and became an anti-SJW sort of thing. Though the SJW stuff grew pretty rapidly alongside it, so it makes sense.

Here's a Medium article summarizing some of the early events: https://medium.com/@KingFrostFive/gamergate-august-2014-revisited-3b41832c061b

A few really shady things get people digging, lot of "streisand effect" goes on, big names get involved, and the movement is born. I really should go back and rewatch some of those Internet Aristocrat videos on it... I find even my current recollections hazy on the details of the beginning, and more focused on where we are now.

Edit: Heh, here's a "GamerGate in 60 seconds"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnRSL3d_xU

You really can't just google it to get a good synopsis. It's hard to get an unbiased accounting because even the wikipedia article presents it from the point of view of the sjw/game journos and feminists. You really have to look at a lot of sources to get the whole story and sort out who's lying and who's not. And it appears to me that the most lying is on the sjw side. They're simply delusional about most things.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, she probably shouldn't have engaged a twitter war through the company's twitter account. That would have been my first suggestion.

Yeah, but if I'm interpreting the cites correctly, this is all about what the wife might do, not anything she had actually done (other than holding an opinion at odds with the employees who sent the letter). I know I'm not privy to a lot of contextual information, but for the Mercury to be labeling the vlog as 'victim blaming' seems a bit judgmental. I could see this whole incident turning on 'thought crime'. I would think, in America, that the owners of a business would be just as entitled to speak their minds as the employees. If the employees were so at odds with their employers worldview, there was always the door the arrived through - you have got to take the bad with the good, or give up the good with the bad

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom