• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The eBooks thing I think was a licensing issue. The fun part is the heavily impacts video games. Even if you buy physical, they can (and do) install a patch to remove functionality at any time in the future. This has obliterated the soundtracks to several very popular games (the entire Grand Theft Auto series, for instance).

So... even physical copies won't save you all the time.

Not so sure about that... is there something I don't know?

Granted, it been a while since I played San Andreas, or Vice City... and I have those on disc, so maybe there's a streaming service that doesn't have the full soundtrack.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    GTA San Andrea bought via STEAM (download service) did a automatic software update and removed all the license songs from gamers accounts/game installed on their PCs on 11.09.2014 as the song licenses had expired.

Same occurred with the other game.
    THIS ONLY AFFECTS PLAYERS WHO BOUGHT THOSE GAMES VIA STEAM.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    GTA San Andrea bought via STEAM (download service) did a automatic software update and removed all the license songs from gamers accounts/game installed on their PCs on 11.09.2014 as the song licenses had expired.

Same occurred with the other game.
    THIS ONLY AFFECTS PLAYERS WHO BOUGHT THOSE GAMES VIA STEAM.

You're almost right. It effected the PS3 and PS4 digital releases sold through the PS store as well. I assume the same thing for xBox. Can confirm as I Platinumed GTASA last year on PS4 and half of the music was gone. Obviously my PS2 versions still have their music, but I can't be a big baller and show the world my Platinum trophy on PS2. ;)

And yes, you might be able to go offline forever and preserve what you have, but I have a feeling that the days of being able to offline a console forever with no home phoning are coming to an end soon.

edit: I can see I mixed issues before as well. I have GTAV as a physical game and I believe the licensing runs out for some of the music this year. At that time, the game will be patched and my music will be gone. So, yes, I could offline my PS4 (and PS3 for that matter) to avoid it, but I don't think that's what most people will do.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're almost right. It effected the PS3 and PS4 digital releases sold through the PS store as well. I assume the same thing for xBox. Can confirm as I Platinumed GTASA last year on PS4 and half of the music was gone. Obviously my PS2 versions still have their music, but I can't be a big baller and show the world my Platinum trophy on PS2. ;)

And yes, you might be able to go offline forever and preserve what you have, but I have a feeling that the days of being able to offline a console forever with no home phoning are coming to an end soon.

edit: I can see I mixed issues before as well. I have GTAV as a physical game and I believe the licensing runs out for some of the music this year. At that time, the game will be patched and my music will be gone. So, yes, I could offline my PS4 (and PS3 for that matter) to avoid it, but I don't think that's what most people will do.

Huh. That's no beuno, as I love the GTA V soundtrack, I'm not even sure you can run that game without it phoning home to the mothership. And, AFAIK, that online community is still relatively active.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Huh. That's no beuno, as I love the GTA V soundtrack, I'm not even sure you can run that game without it phoning home to the mothership. And, AFAIK, that online community is still relatively active.

GTAV is highly active online. That's the most profitable entertainment property in history, period. No movie or anything else has made even close to as much money as GTAV.

So... I'm kind of expecting Rockstar to work that licensing out, but we're also talking about Rockstar, who is getting as greedy as EA lately, so...?

We're also all expecting a GTV6 within the next 18 months, so, pretty quick people will not give a pewp at all about V.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    GTA V has been a great boon to my retirement account, but Take 2 has been lowering earning expectations because their pipeline is isn't great right now. So, if GTA 6 is in development, it's a long ways off.

GTA V Online sucked way too much of my time, and I only quit because after a fresh Windows install, I couldn't get back online. R* tried to help my erasing all my stats, which didn't work, and left me with nothing to show for the time I spent.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Console? :facepalm:
    A REAL GAMER is on the PC. We all know that.
    next you are gonna tell us you are an operator cause you own a GLOCK and tactical pants.

I got out of PC gaming right around 1999 when I bought the fastest video card in the world... for 2 additional weeks after I bought it. That was when entire market when to 3DFX cards that cost more than a Playstation so virtually every new game from that point forward I couldn't play with my very expensive, brand new, video card. I've turned my back to PC gaming and haven't been sad about it more than a few times since then.

...and I'm an operator because I don't wear pants. There's a reason they call me "Two Gun" Max.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    GTA V has been a great boon to my retirement account, but Take 2 has been lowering earning expectations because their pipeline is isn't great right now. So, if GTA 6 is in development, it's a long ways off.

GTA V Online sucked way too much of my time, and I only quit because after a fresh Windows install, I couldn't get back online. R* tried to help my erasing all my stats, which didn't work, and left me with nothing to show for the time I spent.

My GTAV Online works fine on PS4...

#PCMasterrace, indeed...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    iu

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I got out of PC gaming right around 1999 when I bought the fastest video card in the world... for 2 additional weeks after I bought it. That was when entire market when to 3DFX cards that cost more than a Playstation so virtually every new game from that point forward I couldn't play with my very expensive, brand new, video card. I've turned my back to PC gaming and haven't been sad about it more than a few times since then.

...and I'm an operator because I don't wear pants. There's a reason they call me "Two Gun" Max.

That didn't turn me off on PC gaming, just made me go with the price/performance leader video cards. I kept my budget around $250 - $350 and upgraded the video card every 2 years or so. In that manner I was able to play pretty much every new game at High or Ultra settings, at least at 1080p. I'm glad I don't game much any more though, cause when the mining crowd drove up the cost of video cards, I'm glad I was able to sit that out. My GTX 1060 is still rocking fine for the older RPG games I occasionally play.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That didn't turn me off on PC gaming, just made me go with the price/performance leader video cards. I kept my budget around $250 - $350 and upgraded the video card every 2 years or so. In that manner I was able to play pretty much every new game at High or Ultra settings, at least at 1080p. I'm glad I don't game much any more though, cause when the mining crowd drove up the cost of video cards, I'm glad I was able to sit that out. My GTX 1060 is still rocking fine for the older RPG games I occasionally play.

Back when I'm talking, there wasn't 1080P. This was in the late '90s. My TNT2 card was something like $350 as it was and the 3DFX Voodoo add-on cards were like another $350. I had just spent $2000 building the entire PC as it was. I threw in the towel and bought a Playstation 1.

Your logic seems to be good for about the last 10 years, but I was so turned off by having to build what amounted to an entirely new PC every 2-3 years, for a couple grand a shot, that I walked away. PC gaming now seems much less budget intensive, but I really do like the simplicity of the consoles. Just turn it on and go, most days.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm still rocking my 4+ year old MSI 990FXA MB with 32 meg of ram with a 8 core AMD FX 8350 chip, 1TB SSD and a Nvidia 9600 OC/5meg DDR5 ram.

I plan updating by adding a PCI Express NVI M.2 adapter card and dropping a 2TB SSD chipset on it to make it my new boot drive

My Nvidia runs everything at full blown max re with no problem.

One thing I did when I built this was go with a liquid cooling system, this baby runs whisper quite. Back in the day I used to have a Intel 300a Celron over clocked to 450
    thau I had to have 7 fans moving air in and out to keep it from over heating. Ah ya, pre 2000 days, when there was no internet and BBS's, AOL and Compuserve was the rule.

I bet I can still listen to a 56k modem and tell if there is going to be a connection or not.:laugh:

Top Bottom