• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What if if you truly don’t know the password? If a judge makes you sit in jail until you “cooperate” and give them the password you truly don’t know, you are being unfairly punished.

And be it does happen. I have an external hard drive that I encrypted with bitlocker. I legit forgot what password I set. I couldn’t unlock it if my life depended on it. If my home were raided tomorrow and cops found that drive ant it was lawful. For a judge to do that to me, he would be punishing an innocent (for that count at least) man.

Do you think the .gov can't crack bitlocker? It's a Microsoft product.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't understand is why the reasoning is different for a phone then it is for a physical safe in your house or something. You expect that they'd have to get a warrant to search your safe why would they have to get a warrant to search your phone?

They do.

This case had a warrant.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    'Anonymous' browsing data can be easily exposed, researchers reveal

Companies often defend data collection with "oh you're just a tag in millions of users, nobody can single you out." Turns out that's wrong. Ever visit your Twitter analytics page? Now they have your username
    I thought google could do this years ago. I'm sure there are many other ways to identify us, keystroke patterns, mouse movements, scroll habits, etc... There is enough computing power available now to identify lots of things previously though unidentifiable. Anonymity has gone away, laws won't bring it back. The real question is will this make our lives better or not. Only time will tell as plenty of scenarios on both sides are easily identifiable.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's a good charge of tampering with evidence IMHO.

And an example for police agencies everywhere on how to control remote access to cellphones.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh that's fun. But can they prove that it was her who initiated the wipe? What if it was just set to self destruct after so many hours without a successful login? Not likely I know, but could be done.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Often considered doing g this in any situation where I expect contact with police

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Oh that's fun. But can they prove that it was her who initiated the wipe? What if it was just set to self destruct after so many hours without a successful login? Not likely I know, but could be done.

Android has an option to automatically do a factory reset if you enter the password incorrectly so many times.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you think the .gov can't crack bitlocker? It's a Microsoft product.

Maybe*. But that isnt the point, Debbie. :): Please play along for the sake of the overall argument.

Android has an option to automatically do a factory reset if you enter the password incorrectly so many times.

Same with iDevices. The magic number for the fruity ones is 10.

*But is my case big enough to warrant them letting the cat out of the bag that it isnt really effective encryption and risk bad actors stop using it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    About time for someone to create some alternatives, and people to flock to them.

How about an alternative that can replace them all with ONE place.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    About time for someone to create some alternatives, and people to flock to them.

How about an alternative that can replace them all with ONE place.

Impossible.

The ones in-power would never allow that to happen.

Once a new one goes up... get some people to post racist **** on it... then you get your tech blogger friends to talk about how that "new website is a haven for racist alt-right bigots", etc. Lather rinse repeat.

Top Bottom