• STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Complete Cybersecurity is like a completely seedless watermelon:

Sure, it'd be great, but whose going to spend the time and money to develop one when everyone already buys the regular watermelons and just deals with the seeds?

That's because the seeded watermelons taste better. ;-)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This appears to be a good thing, but I'm not sure it goes far enough. I'm not sure it covers the farm equipment that has been locked down by the manufacturers.
    of course not, it makes it legal to do it, but you still have to somehow gain the knowledge without help from the manufacturers. They would have to mandate the release of diagnostic equipment and manuals to really open the market for non dealer repairs.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This. But biometrics are not. So if you use your face or fingerprint to unlock a device, you CAN be compelled to unlock it.

Yarp. Wonder how iphone users will react when Apple requires face-unlock sometime in the future? Perhaps then, laws will change.

---

LGR reviews the first Samsung Tablet

[video=youtube_share;YkJxWtTPyb0]https://youtu.be/YkJxWtTPyb0[/video]

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't understand is why the reasoning is different for a phone then it is for a physical safe in your house or something. You expect that they'd have to get a warrant to search your safe why would they have to get a warrant to search your phone?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't understand is why the reasoning is different for a phone then it is for a physical safe in your house or something. You expect that they'd have to get a warrant to search your safe why would they have to get a warrant to search your phone?

Because protection laws are only created after the establishment has overreached its power. The spirit of the 4th amendment is to protect us from unreasonable search, but laws clarifying the letter haven't been updated to address electronic devices and will likely miss the target even when it is finally written for the current age.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Due partially to overproduction, and partially to investigation into price-fixing... Solid State drive prices are plummeting.

Around $70 for a quality 500GB SSD... and it's got a little ways to drop still.

All my SSDs are full of games... I need more SSDs to install more games that I'll never play.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice to hear. I had wondered why they never seemed to go down in price the way HDD tech did. Might have to pick up a nice 500GB drive for my main system to replace the 250GB SSD in there now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

What if if you truly don’t know the password? If a judge makes you sit in jail until you “cooperate” and give them the password you truly don’t know, you are being unfairly punished.

And be it does happen. I have an external hard drive that I encrypted with bitlocker. I legit forgot what password I set. I couldn’t unlock it if my life depended on it. If my home were raided tomorrow and cops found that drive ant it was lawful. For a judge to do that to me, he would be punishing an innocent (for that count at least) man.

Top Bottom