• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why are so many uber-libertarians so . . . authoritarian? Seems kinda . . . unclear on the concept of liberty.

It is specifically because YOU are unclear on the concept of liberty that they need to explain it to you...and failing that, force you to comply.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I miss the uber-libertarians and the Neo-Confederates (overlap....more than a little overlap). They were part of the magic that made INGO fun.

Kirk Freeman responds:

william-t-sherman-large-56a61b425f9b58b7d0dff17c.jpg

The Neo-Confederates took the field in the old style and I drove them off of it in the old style.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh. Tron. I had completely forgotten about that. It was the only arcade game I ever wanted to play. Pacman and all the rest left me cold, but I liked Tron.

Back in 1982, a kid a year behind me in high school wrote a game in BASIC on an Apple IIc that did a pretty good job of replicating the motorcycle fight from Tron. It was pretty slick, especially for 1982. He's a heavy weight player in game development now.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    They packed his corpse into a barrel of rum for the trip home. I hate to even imagine what he looked like after that.

Turns out it was brandy, not rum. Still, it was a closed-casket funeral:

And [Surgeon Sir William] Beatty’s best impromptu efforts could only slow the decomposition of Nelson’s corpse, not arrest the process entirely. The body was slowly rotting. Two weeks into the journey, gaseous pressures burst the lid of the cask, startling one of the watchmen so much he thought Nelson had returned to life and was trying to climb out

Once back in England:

Although Beatty would later claim the corpse was in perfect condition, both he and the chaplain wrote letters to their higher ups suggesting the face was by then a little too gruesome for public viewing. After one final body shift, to a wooden coffin—Beatty cautious to make sure Nelson’s skin didn’t fall off in front of everybody—and a closed-casket farewell tour, London held a funeral which cost around $1.2 million, inflation adjusted. Nelson was buried. His corpse had spent 80 unrefrigerated days above ground. It was over.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...on-to-pickle-admiral-horatio-nelson-in-brandy

Oh, what? This is a picture thread?

image.jpg

Nelson's hearse. Funny looking, if not funny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom