• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    quote-auto-racing-bull-fighting-and-mountain-climbing-are-the-only-real-sports-all-the-others-ernest-hemingway-61-67-65.jpg

;)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Usain Bolt running 9.58 seconds for 100m is a game?

The only true sports are where the stamina, strength, or speed of one person is directly compared to others (running, swimming, climbing, wrestling, etc...).
    Anything with a ball that is scored or judged (basketball, badminton, darts, golf, etc...) is a game.

Example.....
    "who want's to play a GAME of basketball"
    "who want's to play a GAME of running"

If you can "play a GAME" of it.....it's not a sport.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Usain Bolt running 9.58 seconds for 100m is a game?

The only true sports are where the stamina, strength, or speed of one person is directly compared to others (running, swimming, climbing, wrestling, etc...).
    Anything with a ball that is scored or judged (basketball, badminton, darts, golf, etc...) is a game.

Example.....
    "who want's to play a GAME of basketball"
    "who want's to play a GAME of running"

If you can "play a GAME" of it.....it's not a sport.

I think I would include other physical abilities as well. Archery, I think, can be a sport. So can shooting. Also, I don't see why a sport has to be individual. All those physical attributes upon which a sport would be based can be done as a team as well. And about games, the Venn diagram of games and what you defined as sports overlaps. I think one can argue that competitive games which are primarily physical, are sports.

I think this definition from Oxford fits just fine.

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. "

For it to be a sport, it has to be an athletic competition where the primary competitive element that determines the winner is physical--ie, stronger, faster, more stamina, coordination. If it involves substantially more than physical abilities, then no. Not a sport.

Gymnastics. Yes, a sport.
    Golf? Eh, I really prefer to say no, but honestly, it probably is. The winner is the person who has the best physical performance with the attributes most suitable to golf.
    Football, yes.
    Snowboarding, yes.
    Figure skating? No. Not as long as it's judged on non-physical merits like "presentation". I suppose if it actually made into a sport, with rules designed around who is just the best skater, then yes, that would be a sport.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom