Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No matter what the degree, the completion of a 4 year bachelor's program shows a level of concentration and commitment. Lots of folks "attended" college. A subset of those finish.

Much like a PhD program. The attrition rate is over 50% in the aggregate. Up to 90% at some of the more prestigious schools.

By the way, some of those "art" degrees are in music. Anyone who believes a music program is a walk in the park is not thinking it through.

Of course any degree requires commitment. I think where the disconnect comes is when people expect all degrees to be equal when it comes to earnings potential fresh out of college. That just isn't so. So when someone with a degree in women's studies thinks they're going to make the same as someone with a degree in computer science, or engineering, etc., they're going to be sorely disappointed. If they've been given trophies all their lives just for "participating", then the disconnect is going to hit them even harder.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Having been involved with business on a couple or three continents, it's not easy to draw the line on what is meaningful for a successful life in the area of studies concentration. Some of the most interesting people I've met have been English Lit majors or History majors. Ever try to carry on a dinner conversation with a STEM graduate not in your field? It can be painful to some.

There is a need for language students. And music. And history. And Art. yada yada yada. I say that coming from a math and science background. Money really is overrated in importance in the USA.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Having been involved with business on a couple or three continents, it's not easy to draw the line on what is meaningful for a successful life in the area of studies concentration. Some of the most interesting people I've met have been English Lit majors or History majors. Ever try to carry on a dinner conversation with a STEM graduate not in your field? It can be painful to some.

There is a need for language students. And music. And history. And Art. yada yada yada. I say that coming from a math and science background. Money really is overrated in importance in the USA.
    When you are going into debt for $100K+ you better be able to earn a good living to pay it back. That is where the big disconnect is. Don't expect the rest of us to foot the bill for you because you chose a degree that is worth little to nothing when it comes to getting an actual career.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No matter what the degree, the completion of a 4 year bachelor's program shows a level of concentration and commitment. Lots of folks "attended" college. A subset of those finish.

Much like a PhD program. The attrition rate is over 50% in the aggregate. Up to 90% at some of the more prestigious schools.

By the way, some of those "art" degrees are in music. Anyone who believes a music program is a walk in the park is not thinking it through.

True. I still don’t think there’s any value in showing a level of concentration and commitment to a bachelor program, in gender studies indoctrination, for example. Of course there is value in the general ed courses, at least to the extent that they’re not taught by bat **** crazy social justice professors/TA’s, hell bent on spreading their wokeness.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    When you are going into debt for $100K+ you better be able to earn a good living to pay it back. That is where the big disconnect is. Don't expect the rest of us to foot the bill for you because you chose a degree that is worth little to nothing when it comes to getting an actual career.

Agree in almost all respects. There are lots of ways to graduate with no debt.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Its more like a waltz?

1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3....

No. If the waltz is danced in the park it should be in polyrhythms, so maybe like 3 over 2. So the beat is in 3, but you step in 2. However, only when Amish are present, just to confuse them so they can’t dance to it. They’ll eventually go home.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Extroverted STEM grads are people who look down at other people’s shoes instead of their own.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't understand why tuition went up so much when other prices were stable or declining. When the taxpayers start footing the bill expect the price to rise to the moon. College towns will be like smaller versions of dc with so much money floating around

So many people can't figure that out. :(

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I was thinking about those "Women Studies" and "Cultural Studies" degrees. I'm all for anthropology degrees and if you want to get a graduate degree in some tribal/race/cultural/religious area...then fine. But let's see if you can understand that specific culture within the larger human context first.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Extroverted STEM grads are people who look down at other people’s shoes instead of their own.

Internet win.

GY0X.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was thinking about those "Women Studies" and "Cultural Studies" degrees. I'm all for anthropology degrees and if you want to get a graduate degree in some tribal/race/cultural/religious area...then fine. But let's see if you can understand that specific culture within the larger human context first.

I don't have a problem with people studying that. I may think it's silly, but that's their business.
    But I disagree that I should be responsible for paying for them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    We do pay for them though. This broader social rainbow BS has wormed its way into all aspects of the culture. How the **** did that happen so quickly? They've invaded the media, education, politics...even T-mobile is celebrating #unlimitedpride. What the **** is that?!!!!!

I'm ready for the pendulum to swing back now. Who is in charge of that?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If they’re gonna call it “science”, they should consider removing the ideological bull****. All that nonsense like sex is a social construct and not biological, comes from that department.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We do pay for them though. This broader social rainbow BS has wormed its way into all aspects of the culture. How the **** did that happen so quickly? They've invaded the media, education, politics...even T-mobile is celebrating #unlimitedpride. What the **** is that?!!!!!

Right now, Donald Trump. :stickpoke: Gooble gobble, gooble gobble... ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Give a mouse a cookie ...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom