• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm inclined to believe both the accusers of Biden and Kavanaugh. However, there's a problem with that: https://gizmodo.com/a-new-false-memory-study-suggests-people-cant-tell-what-1842751404

And I don't know what to do. Old memories just aren't trustworthy.

That is an fascinating article. It is very interesting to ponder in light of how many people you come across that are so convinced that they can tell whether someone else is telling the truth or not. I wish I could download the full study to read.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I only apply it to the people who try to apply it to others.

If they want to pretend they hold the moral high ground, then I'll selectively hold them to their own set of beliefs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18c532-badd-11e8-a8aa-860695e7f3fc_story.html

Joe Biden is specifically telling you to believe his accuser. He wants this, he can have it.

Was the intent of bolding the Joe Biden line containing "specifically tell you to believe his accuser" to indicate a quote?

The most intriguing line is the Title of an article. That suggests it is the Opinion of the author. a reading of and a search for the phrase in the article itself yielded no results.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Maybe he should find someone like Admiral Stockdale.

What you say? Stockdale's been dead for 15 years? When has that ever gotten in the way for Democrats. :)
    If he is dead he can still be relied upon to vote Democrat every election :)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm inclined to believe both the accusers of Biden and Kavanaugh. However, there's a problem with that: https://gizmodo.com/a-new-false-memory-study-suggests-people-cant-tell-what-1842751404

And I don't know what to do. Old memories just aren't trustworthy.

You could do what the Democrat/Media Complex does:
    If the allegation supports your political aims, all accusers must be believed; if it doesn't, "Drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park and who knows what will come out"*

*This is a James Carville quote. Look it up if you don't remember it.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Was the intent of bolding the Joe Biden line containing "specifically tell you to believe his accuser" to indicate a quote?

The most intriguing line is the Title of an article. That suggests it is the Opinion of the author. a reading of and a search for the phrase in the article itself yielded no results.
    From the article:
    Speaking generally, Biden added, “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts, whether or not it’s been made worse or better over time. But nobody fails to understand that this is like jumping into a cauldron.”

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Tombs' cite

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...18c532-badd-11e8-a8aa-860695e7f3fc_story.html
    Joe Biden: When a woman alleges sexual assault, presume she is telling the truth

That's not Tombs writing that line, that's a copy editor at WaPo who is presumably disposed to favor Biden and at the time it was written likely thought the Tara Reade allegations were safely buried

And this is most certainly a quote, the gist of which is Joe Biden believes everyone should presume women who come forward into the national spotlight to convey accusations (one can assume about powerful men or else why mention 'the national spotlight') should be believed

Speaking generally, Biden added, “For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts, whether or not it’s been made worse or better over time. But nobody fails to understand that this is like jumping into a cauldron.”

The complaint that the article does not contain the exact wording used by Tombs in his synthesis is puerile, but can be short-circuited by Tombs simply adding IMO to what is not specifically supported by the cite. Not going to pause my respiration waiting for the 'Trump is immoral' crowd to so label their own flights of fancy, however

In their world , IMO, they feel that by coming forward with unpopular opinions in the forum, they should also be given the presumption of truthiness

Edit: I believe quotes are still delineated with, you know, quotation marks. Bolding is for emphasis. Allegedly. In my opinion

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The phrase "at least the essence..." and the clause "whether or not....facts" diluted the meaning from "telling the truth", to me. It means something happened that needs to be taken seriously and investigated, not dismissed out of hand. It's not a made up accusation. Political doublespeak? Absolutely. Do I think Biden should clarify what he meant in that quote, absolutely. But does it qualify as meaning, she is telling the "truth" and Biden must prove otherwise? Absolutely not. Does he have an obligation to respond to the charge especially based on this quote? Absolutely

From the article:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Joe Biden specifically wants you to believe accusers.

Why would it magically not apply when Joe Biden is the one being accused?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The phrase "at least the essence..." and the clause "whether or not....facts" diluted the meaning from "telling the truth", to me. It means something happened that needs to be taken seriously and investigated, not dismissed out of hand. It's not a made up accusation. Political doublespeak? Absolutely. Do I think Biden should clarify what he meant in that quote, absolutely. But does it qualify as meaning, she is telling the "truth" and Biden must prove otherwise? Absolutely not. Does he have an obligation to respond to the charge especially based on this quote? Absolutely

No. She does not have to be taken seriously for a 20 to 30 year old allegation. No it does not need to be investigated.

I've had a friend I've known since I was 15....55 year friendship. Female.

She remarked how she loved my piano playing and guitar playing when we first met. Beethoven, show tunes, pop stuff on the piano. And wonderful guitar work.

Well, I didn't know much beyond "Chopsticks" and "Heart and Soul" on the piano in high school. I didn't really begin to play and practice until 3 years later in college.

I never played guitar until I went into the service. I didn't buy a guitar until 6 months after I joined the military.

She insists that I played these instruments in high school.

OK.

I do not trust memories. Particularly memories that are wrapped up in fantasies of a high school girl. Whether that changes later in life for a woman, I do not know for sure. I know that some of the things my wife remembers never happened. But I cannot tell her that she is wrong or she will beat me to death while I sleep.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No. She does not have to be taken seriously for a 20 to 30 year old allegation. No it does not need to be investigated.

She remarked how she loved my piano playing and guitar playing when we first met. Beethoven, show tunes, pop stuff on the piano. And wonderful guitar work.

Well, I didn't know much beyond "Chopsticks" and "Heart and Soul" on the piano in high school. I didn't really begin to play and practice until 3 years later in college.

I never played guitar until I went into the service. I didn't buy a guitar until 6 months after I joined the military.

OK.

I do not trust memories. Particularly memories that are wrapped up in fantasies of a high school girl. Whether that changes later in life for a woman, I do not know for sure. I know that some of the things my wife remembers never happened. But I cannot tell her that she is wrong or she will beat me to death while I sleep.

Not to mention the "I walked miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways" told so often the teller believes it is true now. A play on the "tell a lie often enough people will believe it", to "say a lie often enough and you will believe it".

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If someone stuck their fingers up my ass I wouldn't forget it 40 years later.

OK.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

OK.

Tara Reade was 22 in 1993, and was sharp enough to be working on the staff for the senior senator from Delaware. She also told friends and aquaintances about the incident contemporaneously, which they have corroborated. Already orders of magnitude more believable than any Kavanaugh accuser

It's just more evidence that politics overrides any professed concern for women on the left. #BelieveWomenWhenItsPoliticallyExpedient

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It really doesn't matter what she told friends she thinks happened.

No one else was there, if "there" ever occurred at all. It might be a fantasy that she described to friends. Never heard anyone in that age group claim an exploit different than reality? C'mon.

And

Time has clearly run out. She could have officially reported it. She did not. The allegation is in a time period where the deck was not stacked against her as it might have been in the 50's through 80's.

Women have assumed that they now have a weapon of mass destruction to use against men. Particularly rich white men, but also Clarence Thomas. So, it's really an anti-establishment WMD.

Women's Suffrage. Prohibiiton. The Pill. Roe v Wade. Sexual Abuse Allegations decades old. There is a pattern here for those who choose to see it.

I do not believe 20 year old stories that appear to have an agenda. And this clearly has "agenda" written all over it.

The only exception is underage boys and girls. They get a pass on timely disclosure.

So Foz? If that priest did stick his finger "you know where", report it.

There are sexual predators out there, for sure. They should be punished. But not decades after the fact. That's why there are statutes on limitations and repose.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom