The CZickness XXX: As in life, the twenties are just a blur...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have an Emergency that I need someone's help with.

I desperately need a roll of duct tape delivered to my house. An entire roll is wrapped around my head to keep it from exploding after watching the Dems debate. I fear I may need more tape to make it through the post-debate news commentary.

Oh, wait, I can just watch more episodes of Blacklist...

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I forgot that was tonight. I can't watch more than a few minutes of that crap at a time so what I get on the news is too much.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I have an Emergency that I need someone's help with.

I desperately need a roll of duct tape delivered to my house. An entire roll is wrapped around my head to keep it from exploding after watching the Dems debate. I fear I may need more tape to make it through the post-debate news commentary.

Oh, wait, I can just watch more episodes of Blacklist...

I'm getting close to your house so hang on. All I have is electrical tape though.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Milsurp masters ....... I have a question. Having decided that I wanted to clean-up the old Mosin before proceeding with more photography, I made the mistake of looking down the bore. Ack ..... it appears to be stringy, greasy looking stuff, which is what I've heard is probably cosmoline. I'm betting that the guy never shot it ..... just cleaned the exterior and put it on the mantle.

Nope, I never looked down the inside of the barrel when I made the trade, as that happened in the cab of my little truck, in a rainstorm, in front of a downtown Indy Holiday Inn .... not the place for an internal examination. Everything in the area that the bolt rides in, and all external metal and wood looks just fine. It's just that ugly bore ! :abused:

So .... what do I use to get the gunk out of there ? Any techniques (without pulling the action & barrel out of the stock) that any of you could recommend would be much appreciated ! :)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    :coffee:

Good morning everyone.

Sounds like I wasn't the only one who had an ass panda kinda day yesterday. Hopefully today is better.

Sorry MM, I'd love to give some helpful hints, but they'd all be second hand from stuff I read online about 8-10 years ago and can't remember half of it. I kinda remember reading things about using Windex or wrapping the rifle in newspapers and stuffed inside a garbage bag and leaving outside in the summer heat. Crap, just gave you hints. I dont know if they actually work. :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

MM, if I recall, the main thing I did in the bore was to use a bronze brush and Hoppe’s #9. A lot. I’ve read of some tricks like trying to sweat cosmoline out of a stock but never tried any of them. The Mosins come apart fairly easy and the triggers can be tuned a bit too but we mostly left ours stock. I did refinish the stocks on a couple of them and my oldest refinished the stock on one of his back to factory spec using boiled linseed oil and turpentine I think. Going from memory so it could have been dipped in fairy dust too for all I can remember now days.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Calling for 100% chance of rain Saturday and highs in the 40's and then drops to the teens that night and not much higher for all of Sunday.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Calling for 100% chance of rain Saturday and highs in the 40's and then drops to the teens that night and not much higher for all of Sunday.

That always makes getting into the car the next day fun. I’ll have to remember to dry the door seals after the rain stops on Saturday.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom