Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Hello all. Wanted to say that I'm still kicking. Looks like good news for churchmouse and Reed as well. Can't think very well, but am upright. Hard time breathing and I'm working on improving it. Prayers appreciated. Hopefully the brain fog will clear enough for me to drop back by soon. Take care.
    Hang in there my friend. Thanks for letting us know.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New project came my way today, very early Colt 1902 commercial.

The first of this series is the 1900, chambered in 38 ACP, sort of an American 9mm, but a lot of the 1900s went out as test guns and there were issues with them that Colt corrects. The army didn't like the sight safety and the high spur hammer. They also wanted an unheard of feature at the time called a slide stop and a larger magazine, and a lanyard ring. Colt obliges with the 1902 military model, but has a lot of guns in production, so they take the pieces, minus the sight safety and make the Commercial model. Early models of this gun come with the high spur hammer until stocks run out, then the get a rounded hammer or short spur model.

Sales at Colt suggests a shorter version of the commercial and it's given a snappy name, the Pocket Hammer.

Colt submits the Military model to the army, but by now it's 1904 and the Thompson LaGarde tests have convinced the army it's 45 caliber or nothing. JB designs the 1905 for this but isn't happy and further work produces the 1911. At the same time he makes the 1903 Pocket Hammerless which is so popular Colt makes over a half million of them. The original double link guns all fade out in the 20's and only the cartridge survives after Colt jacks up the power and brings it out as the 38 Super.

The gun pictured is very early and has the 1900 high spur hammer and milled serrations forward on the slide. Everything is there so it should be an easy cleanup and respring to get it shooting. I like these guns particularly the Pocket hammer. They shoot accurately, but have no safety other than a half cock notch. I use a 125 grain Lee RNFP and 4.6 grains of Titegroup that produces a good load for all of these guns.0203.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

The first of this series is the 1900, chambered in 38 ACP, sort of an American 9mm, but a lot of the 1900s went out as test guns and there were issues with them that Colt corrects. The army didn't like the sight safety and the high spur hammer. They also wanted an unheard of feature at the time called a slide stop and a larger magazine, and a lanyard ring. Colt obliges with the 1902 military model, but has a lot of guns in production, so they take the pieces, minus the sight safety and make the Commercial model. Early models of this gun come with the high spur hammer until stocks run out, then the get a rounded hammer or short spur model.

Sales at Colt suggests a shorter version of the commercial and it's given a snappy name, the Pocket Hammer.

Colt submits the Military model to the army, but by now it's 1904 and the Thompson LaGarde tests have convinced the army it's 45 caliber or nothing. JB designs the 1905 for this but isn't happy and further work produces the 1911. At the same time he makes the 1903 Pocket Hammerless which is so popular Colt makes over a half million of them. The original double link guns all fade out in the 20's and only the cartridge survives after Colt jacks up the power and brings it out as the 38 Super.

The gun pictured is very early and has the 1900 high spur hammer and milled serrations forward on the slide. Everything is there so it should be an easy cleanup and respring to get it shooting. I like these guns particularly the Pocket hammer. They shoot accurately, but have no safety other than a half cock notch. I use a 125 grain Lee RNFP and 4.6 grains of Titegroup that produces a good load for all of these guns.View attachment 177364
    That's quite a slide. Really cool.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Hello all. Wanted to say that I'm still kicking. Looks like good news for churchmouse and Reed as well. Can't think very well, but am upright. Hard time breathing and I'm working on improving it. Prayers appreciated. Hopefully the brain fog will clear enough for me to drop back by soon. Take care.

Praying for you multiple times a day, my friend.

You should be feeling them any time now....expect good things.!!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Your favorite after shave is now for the truck too!

I received this as a Father's Day gift one year ... they weren't bad.

I've always wanted to go the extra mile and put diffusion sticks in a bottle of Hoppe's in my office cube ... maybe this is the year to give that a whirl?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I received this as a Father's Day gift one year ... they weren't bad.

I've always wanted to go the extra mile and put diffusion sticks in a bottle of Hoppe's in my office cube ... maybe this is the year to give that a whirl?

Only if you want to be the best dressed, most successful employee at the office. Sharon from accounting won't know how to handle it.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.

The gun pictured is very early and has the 1900 high spur hammer and milled serrations forward on the slide. Everything is there so it should be an easy cleanup and respring to get it shooting. I like these guns particularly the Pocket hammer. They shoot accurately, but have no safety other than a half cock notch. I use a 125 grain Lee RNFP and 4.6 grains of Titegroup that produces a good load for all of these guns.View attachment 177364
    Thats quite the piece of history! Glad it found its way to you, if only it could talk.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I brought the non-railed P229 home today. So far, I’m happy with the condition. It looks like it’s been lightly shot but has some holster patina that someone tried to refinish with a light spray of something that just scrapes off of the frame. The rails look great. It was advertised as having a single mag but it shipped with 3.

I’m thinking this will get a set of G10s, GrayGuns internals and SRT. I’m planning on using one of the spare 9mm slides to make this my summer carry gun in either 9mm or if I want, I can swap slides and run it as a .357 Sig.

0834aa5d3cf916eb9196d91002a1510a.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I brought the non-railed P229 home today. So far, I’m happy with the condition. It looks like it’s been lightly shot but has some holster patina that someone tried to refinish with a light spray of something that just scrapes off of the frame. The rails look great. It was advertised as having a single mag but it shipped with 3.

I’m thinking this will get a set of G10s, GrayGuns internals and SRT. I’m planning on using one of the spare 9mm slides to make this my summer carry gun in either 9mm or if I want, I can swap slides and run it as a .357 Sig.

0834aa5d3cf916eb9196d91002a1510a.jpg

OH yeah .... mag it a 357 Sig, all day long ! It's the perfect combo, in my opinion.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon

I love hearing these write-ups! Very interesting!!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Spent the evening on the couch with the terrorists.
    We watched a couple of kids series on Netflix and then a feature length kids movie. I have to admit besides it being oriented towards kids it was almost "OK"
    They are both tucked in and sound asleep.
    There is peace in my world tonight.

:):
    A happiness for you . :alright: I wish you many, many more !

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Thich Nhat Hahn

One of my favorite authors and a man who left the world a better place.

RIP

“If we are not fully ourselves, truly in the present moment, we miss everything.”

“…there is no birth; there is no death; there is no coming; there is no going; there is no same; there is no different; there is no permanent self; there is no annihilation. We only think there is.”

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thich Nhat Hahn

One of my favorite authors and a man who left the world a better place.

RIP

Oh no.... I hadn't heard. I knew that he'd been in a nursing home for several years.
    After his stroke, he never spoke again, but it was said that he still obviously enjoyed daily tea in the garden.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom